NOS black label 20" Paiste 2002 Heavy Ride "Jazz Rock"

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dumpy, what's the serial on your Red Jazz Rock. Would be good if we could figure out when they stopped putting the extra stamp on. I think it was '82 or '83. Can't remember anymore.
I will try to remember when I get to the drum room!

toddlittle827

Reaction score
one other thing regarding the Jazz Rock 2002 HR. I'd be curious to see if the German factory added the extra stamps to their 2002 Heavy Rides and Heavy Hats from 1978-1981~. I want to say they did not and only the Swiss factory did this. Will have to see if I can find any German examples.

Pro tip - late period German Black Labels from late 79 to early 81 have a "2" starting the serial number.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
Okay, so I found a pair of 15" 2002 Heavy Hats with an early 1983 serial for sale and they did not have the extra "Rock" stamp on them. So we are getting somewhere. They either stopped adding the extra Jazz Rock and Rock stamps in '81 or '82.

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
Many free bumps for a For Sale thread. :)

I wondered about people mixing up the 22" 602 Dark Ride in the Rogers catalog with the existence of a 2002 Dark Ride. For those who aren't familiar with the evidence, it is the price of the 22" 602 Dark Ride which is the hint. A 2002 22" costs $150, the 22" Dark Ride is $288. The stealth Formula 602 Dark Ride in 22" is what is also called the "Transitional Dark Ride".

If the misunderstanding arises from this, then whoever started it may have stumbled on a 20" version because there wasn't ever a 20" Formula 602 Dark Ride that we have seen (Transitional or otherwise).

The 20" Red Label Rock Ride Mr Dumpy got is serial

PAISTE 2002

according to the photos once I traced back his original post

to the Reverb sale:

The 2002 Heavy Jazz Rock 1981, and an early Red Label example. However, verification from a close look would be good. I'm sure about the prefix which maps to 1981-1985, and 99.9% sure about the 1 which maps to 1981. The rest of the digits are hard to read. The other thing I'm still waiting on is the weight.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many free bumps for a For Sale thread. :)

I wondered about people mixing up the 22" 602 Dark Ride in the Rogers catalog with the existence of a 2002 Dark Ride. For those who aren't familiar with the evidence, it is the price of the 22" 602 Dark Ride which is the hint. A 2002 22" costs $150, the 22" Dark Ride is $288. The stealth Formula 602 Dark Ride in 22" is what is also called the "Transitional Dark Ride".

If the misunderstanding arises from this, then whoever started it may have stumbled on a 20" version because there wasn't ever a 20" Formula 602 Dark Ride that we have seen (Transitional or otherwise).

The 20" Red Label Rock Ride Mr Dumpy got is serial

PAISTE 2002

according to the photos once I traced back his original post

to the Reverb sale:

The 2002 Heavy Jazz Rock 1981, and an early Red Label example. However, verification from a close look would be good. I'm sure about the prefix which maps to 1981-1985, and 99.9% sure about the 1 which maps to 1981. The rest of the digits are hard to read. The other thing I'm still waiting on is the weight.
I will try and remember to complete the info. Please accept my apologies as I am a Paiste nut and would love to help with your catalogue.

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
I will try and remember to complete the info. Please accept my apologies as I am a Paiste nut and would love to help with your catalogue.
No worries. I've been chipping away at this cymbal study since 2003 or so, but progress can be a bit slow. When you can get to it is fine. I jumped in and did the initial separation of the 20" 2002 Heavy Jazz Rock from the non Jazz Rock in the wiki and then got bogged down in the collation and summarizing of all the info I've got. I have a day or two of work just to make sure that there is a page for people to find when they look for 2002 Jazz Rock information but that they also find out that it is just extra ink. Thanks to @toddlittle827 things have moved well ahead. He's Mr Vintage Paiste Catalog and has provided an immense amount of info and many insights. Also thanks to Dick the Osteo (later Dick the Healer) of the old P-O wiki who brought up the original discussion of the proper place of the 22" Transitional Dark Rides which started me going through my extensive database of serial numbers looking at the years of production for the Transitional Dark Rides.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No worries. I've been chipping away at this cymbal study since 2003 or so, but progress can be a bit slow. When you can get to it is fine. I jumped in and did the initial separation of the 20" 2002 Heavy Jazz Rock from the non Jazz Rock in the wiki and then got bogged down in the collation and summarizing of all the info I've got. I have a day or two of work just to make sure that there is a page for people to find when they look for 2002 Jazz Rock information but that they also find out that it is just extra ink. Thanks to @toddlittle827 things have moved well ahead. He's Mr Vintage Paiste Catalog and has provided an immense amount of info and many insights. Also thanks to Dick the Osteo (later Dick the Healer) of the old P-O wiki who brought up the original discussion of the proper place of the 22" Transitional Dark Rides which started me going through my extensive database of serial numbers looking at the years of production for the Transitional Dark Rides.
ADC01AAA-48D4-40B3-9851-2F29A946E34F.jpeg
76F91E04-5BC9-4158-8CB4-66FF9E1CD46A.jpeg