NOS drummer making a comeback saying hi

JimmyM

Reaction score
Hi gang, already saw a couple familiar names from the bass forums, but just wanted to formally say hi to everyone. I just restarted drums at age 60 after playing bass, guitar and singing professionally for all of my adult life. When I was a kid I was a hotshot little drummer, but got more into melody instruments and as I got older and let my drumming go pretty much by the wayside. I could still sit in occasionally, but had a humiliating experience sitting in in 2014 and it never left me since. So now I'm devoting myself to getting good again when I'm not gigging on bass.

Had a couple false starts since then but now I'm getting real about it. For the last month I was hitting the practice pad and my old Remo practice kit while rehabbing a 1-up 1-down set of CB700 shells given to me 20 years ago and assembling what I didn't have. The clear centerpiece of my drums, though, is an awesome 50's Ludwig Standard wood snare that I've had since I was 7 and stripped when I was 12 because beaten up black and gold Duco wasn't the thing in the 70's. The CB700's still need heads and hoops on the bottom, but they've turned out to be surprisingly good sounding, and if they're not all the drums I want, they're all I really need.

I'm a firm believer in the academic approach and learned how to read for drums when I was younger, and I've been working really hard at rudiments, getting around the kit, making my hits sound even, and keeping great time. But this time around I'm all about doing things I used to be able to do the hard way and finding easier ways. Last week I started seeing the payoff, and this week I'm coming on strong! Now it's just a matter of tightening up loose ends, learning how to sing and not bounce, and building up the stamina to play the same thing over and over for a half hour without slippage. And this Sunday I'm going to hit a blues jam at a local club for a handful of songs. I'm definitely not where I want to be, but I can hold a beat steady and play dead on to a click as long as I don't get ahead of myself. That's the bass player in me :D

Anyway, here's a pic of my kit. Everything is old, and in the case of the stool, very worn, but I'll just cover that up with my roid pillow :D Managed to set up a really weird and ragtag cymbal set where no one cymbal is the same type except the hi hats, but I do have a couple normal sounding ones in there, and I'm very happy with all of them. Still trying to decide on placements, and it's tough for me because I like to sit way over my drums with the inner rims of the snare and rack close together, and have them scrunched together. And now the floor tom feels like it's in left field on rolls. Everyone says keep as close to a 90 degree angle in your legs as you can stand and I get that, but I hate having the rack tom way above the snare and don't want to use an extreme angle like I did when I was 11. I guess something's got to give, though. Always compromises.

Everything else you can see what it is, but the pedal in the pic is a Tama Power Glide and I've also been using a DW 5000 double. Cymbals are Sabian 16" thin crash, not sure what model, Sabian 21" SR2 heavy ride, Diril Tradional 20" ping ride that I'm using as a giant obnoxious crash, and a crazy set of nickel-silver Tyrko 15" hi hats from the 60's. Never been a fan of big hi hats, but these sound so awesome and different that I had to get them. Price was right, too..$50 for both!

IMG_0272.JPG

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Your set up looks fairly ergonomic. Some minor suggestions might be to move that hi hat out a foot or so. And if doing that push the left side cymbal out a bit as well.....and slightly over-lapping the top of the rack tom (as much overlap as you can handle w/o hitting it by mistake). I like my hi hats a bit lower but everyone is different. You could rotate the ride cymbal closer to the bass drum mount to get things tighter. Then bring in the right side crash up a bit. You could even overlap that crash a bit over the ride cymbal. If the snare is up close to the rack tom....bring the floor tom up to 1-2" from the bass drum. If you wanted to get rim shots and other "cute" tones out of your rack tom you could make it a tad less angle to get be able to plop both left or right hand on either side of the hoop. Make subtle changes on a weekly basis. Eventually you'll dial it all within 30-90 days. Any new kit I bring home takes a while to find just the right placements and angles.....especially on bigger kits with many drums and cymbals.

JimmyM

Reaction score
Welcome. Your set up looks fairly ergonomic. Some minor suggestions might be to move that hi hat out a foot or so. And if doing that push the left side cymbal out a bit as well.....and slightly over-lapping the top of the rack tom (as much overlap as you can handle w/o hitting it by mistake). I like my hi hats a bit lower but everyone is different. You could rotate the ride cymbal closer to the bass drum mount to get things tighter. Then bring in the right side crash up a bit. You could even overlap that crash a bit over the ride cymbal. If the snare is up close to the rack tom....bring the floor tom up to 1-2" from the bass drum. If you wanted to get rim shots and other "cute" tones out of your rack tom you could make it a tad less angle to get be able to plop both left or right hand on either side of the hoop. Make subtle changes on a weekly basis. Eventually you'll dial it all within 30-90 days. Any new kit I bring home takes a while to find just the right placements and angles.....especially on bigger kits with many drums and cymbals.
Thanks and great advice, especially the "make subtle changes part." Only had the full setup for 4 days, but I've been working the basic set now for a couple weeks. Definitely going to do the cymbal overlap so I can get between them for Hollywood endings :D But that's good advice, all of it. When I have the DW's on the kit, I do move the hi hat out a bit, but it does seem a tad high...I think I could still get enough angle for sloshing by lowering it some. Been trying to encourage good posture by having it higher, but definitely going to try to lower it now. Wish it wasn't too late to play drums but I guess I can do a little air drumming.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, already saw a couple familiar names from the bass forums, but just wanted to formally say hi to everyone. I just restarted drums at age 60 after playing bass, guitar and singing professionally for all of my adult life. When I was a kid I was a hotshot little drummer, but got more into melody instruments and as I got older and let my drumming go pretty much by the wayside. I could still sit in occasionally, but had a humiliating experience sitting in in 2014 and it never left me since. So now I'm devoting myself to getting good again when I'm not gigging on bass.

Had a couple false starts since then but now I'm getting real about it. For the last month I was hitting the practice pad and my old Remo practice kit while rehabbing a 1-up 1-down set of CB700 shells given to me 20 years ago and assembling what I didn't have. The clear centerpiece of my drums, though, is an awesome 50's Ludwig Standard wood snare that I've had since I was 7 and stripped when I was 12 because beaten up black and gold Duco wasn't the thing in the 70's. The CB700's still need heads and hoops on the bottom, but they've turned out to be surprisingly good sounding, and if they're not all the drums I want, they're all I really need.

I'm a firm believer in the academic approach and learned how to read for drums when I was younger, and I've been working really hard at rudiments, getting around the kit, making my hits sound even, and keeping great time. But this time around I'm all about doing things I used to be able to do the hard way and finding easier ways. Last week I started seeing the payoff, and this week I'm coming on strong! Now it's just a matter of tightening up loose ends, learning how to sing and not bounce, and building up the stamina to play the same thing over and over for a half hour without slippage. And this Sunday I'm going to hit a blues jam at a local club for a handful of songs. I'm definitely not where I want to be, but I can hold a beat steady and play dead on to a click as long as I don't get ahead of myself. That's the bass player in me :D

Anyway, here's a pic of my kit. Everything is old, and in the case of the stool, very worn, but I'll just cover that up with my roid pillow :D Managed to set up a really weird and ragtag cymbal set where no one cymbal is the same type except the hi hats, but I do have a couple normal sounding ones in there, and I'm very happy with all of them. Still trying to decide on placements, and it's tough for me because I like to sit way over my drums with the inner rims of the snare and rack close together, and have them scrunched together. And now the floor tom feels like it's in left field on rolls. Everyone says keep as close to a 90 degree angle in your legs as you can stand and I get that, but I hate having the rack tom way above the snare and don't want to use an extreme angle like I did when I was 11. I guess something's got to give, though. Always compromises.

Everything else you can see what it is, but the pedal in the pic is a Tama Power Glide and I've also been using a DW 5000 double. Cymbals are Sabian 16" thin crash, not sure what model, Sabian 21" SR2 heavy ride, Diril Tradional 20" ping ride that I'm using as a giant obnoxious crash, and a crazy set of nickel-silver Tyrko 15" hi hats from the 60's. Never been a fan of big hi hats, but these sound so awesome and different that I had to get them. Price was right, too..$50 for both!

View attachment 531119
Gotta love that kit! Nothing against mega-costly "purdee" drums, I just have a special place in my eyes and heart for working kits like yours! I left drumming for quite a few years as a 9-5 career took over and your kit is a splitting image of the kit that welcomed me back to beatin' on the drums.

Your kit screams "SOUL". My Welcome Back kit are my most-valued drums. I still have them. Whoopie! And a mighty big welcome into the mix! Look forward to hearing about your adventures on the other instruments and their "connection" to your drumming. Bienvenido, guey!

JimmyM

Reaction score
Gotta love that kit! Nothing against mega-costly "purdee" drums, I just have a special place in my eyes and heart for working kits like yours! I left drumming for quite a few years as a 9-5 career took over and your kit is a splitting image of the kit that welcomed me back to beatin' on the drums.

Your kit screams "SOUL". My Welcome Back kit are my most-valued drums. I still have them. Whoopie! And a mighty big welcome into the mix! Look forward to hearing about your adventures on the other instruments and their "connection" to your drumming. Bienvenido, guey!
Thanks Cruddola! Love the SN! Ya, it's a funky old kit, but the prices are going up on CB700's for some strange reason. And I figure if Levon could sound awesome on Mercurys with a little tweaking, I can make these drums work, though I am going to upgrade eventually. Not ever going to pay a lot of money for drums, though. I've sat behind some world class kits and these intermediate drums by the major makers sound every bit as good to me. Except for a Black Beauty snare, but with the snare I have I figure I'm already way ahead in the high end snare game. In the meantime I got these shells for free for doing a favor for someone, and if it's free, it's for me!

JimmyM

Reaction score
IMG_0275.JPG

Don't know if these would qualify as subtle changes, but I did raise myself and the drums up a bit, pulled the rack in closer to the center of the bass drum, gave it more angle and about an inch and a half between it and the snare, which I think is doable. And if not, I have a little bit more room before the tom hits the shell. Also set the hi hat in accordance with my DW double, which does seem to help me hit it with both right and left hands. Then I swapped the boom and straight stands, brought them in so I get a little overlap with the toms and other cymbals for those occasions, and I'll tweak everything once I can make noise again. But playing air drums already feels better. I can already see smaller shells on the horizon, though. I ain't Bonham :D

DrumPhil

Reaction score
Have fun with it! That’s how you stay motivated.

Don’t let a bad jam experience beat you up. If you mess up, it’s a learning experience. And if the other players deliberately do things to make you look bad, that’s a poor reflection on them, not you. In music, everyone on stage has to be working together or it hurts the music.

Happy banging!

JimmyM

Reaction score
Have fun with it! That’s how you stay motivated.

Don’t let a bad jam experience beat you up. If you mess up, it’s a learning experience. And if the other players deliberately do things to make you look bad, that’s a poor reflection on them, not you. In music, everyone on stage has to be working together or it hurts the music.

Happy banging!
Thanks Phil...I'm not letting it get to me or anything, but I do want vindication :D The guys in the band were quite helpful at the time. I just made a mess of things.
But I'm wise to the manipulation tricks and have plenty of my own being mostly a bassist. And unlike drums, we can operate in secret.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I remembering correctly? The Jimmy with the super vintage Ampegs? Right on dude

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coolio....CB700's......the real deal...???
You should get ahold of these fellows as they are using "fake" CB700's.....probably can't afford the real deal ;)
bt

IMG_0714.JPG

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cruddola! Love the SN! Ya, it's a funky old kit, but the prices are going up on CB700's for some strange reason. And I figure if Levon could sound awesome on Mercurys with a little tweaking, I can make these drums work, though I am going to upgrade eventually. Not ever going to pay a lot of money for drums, though. I've sat behind some world class kits and these intermediate drums by the major makers sound every bit as good to me. Except for a Black Beauty snare, but with the snare I have I figure I'm already way ahead in the high end snare game. In the meantime I got these shells for free for doing a favor for someone, and if it's free, it's for me!
I hear you on that! Free drums? Not many folks here can claim that, including me. In over 50 years of drumming, I've owned over 3 dozen drumkits from 13 different makers. They were just tools of the trade, nothing more. I'm the furthest from being a drum purist or collector.

I've included a couple of photos of the very last kit I bought back in 2010. It is my retirement kit. Every friggin piece is used. As soon as my Covid-delayed house rehab is done, they're going back up.

Never been a slave to a particular brand of drums either. The only constant in my drum gear has been Yamaha hardware, cymbals and Camco/DW 5000 pedals. I've only bought them once. Drums have come and gone, but my hardware has always stayed.

I use what works, if not, I make it work. Only three kits were bought new. My last new kit was back in 1990. No way I'd fork over the dough for a new kit. Ain't happening. Buy what gives you an eargasm. Free? That makes those drums golden!

Attachments

• WP_20170704_18_09_15_Raw.jpg
    WP_20170704_18_09_15_Raw.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20170704_18_09_28_Raw.jpg
    WP_20170704_18_09_28_Raw.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20171122_13_31_42_Raw.jpg
    WP_20171122_13_31_42_Raw.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20171122_13_31_50_Raw.jpg
    WP_20171122_13_31_50_Raw.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pet peeve of mine at jam sessions
All the players except drummer are involved in discussion of knowing the next tune .
We are expected to know them all .
Also , guitarists can just start a riff and everyone jumps in …

No one jumps in when I play a beat to a song .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve asked for help at jams , “ hey , what’s the style at least ??”

“ Oh , you’ll catch it man “

JimmyM

Reaction score
I hear you on that! Free drums? Not many folks here can claim that, including me. In over 50 years of drumming, I've owned over 3 dozen drumkits from 13 different makers. They were just tools of the trade, nothing more. I'm the furthest from being a drum purist or collector.

I've included a couple of photos of the very last kit I bought back in 2010. It is my retirement kit. Every friggin piece is used. As soon as my Covid-delayed house rehab is done, they're going back up.

Never been a slave to a particular brand of drums either. The only constant in my drum gear has been Yamaha hardware, cymbals and Camco/DW 5000 pedals. I've only bought them once. Drums have come and gone, but my hardware has always stayed.

I use what works, if not, I make it work. Only three kits were bought new. My last new kit was back in 1990. No way I'd fork over the dough for a new kit. Ain't happening. Buy what gives you an eargasm. Free? That makes those drums golden!
Awesome set! As much as I like small kits, I do love a cool big kit, especially a set that vibes out like that one!