Not "getting" Memriloc

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is my left tom with the mount extension cut off and the factory shorter tom arm.(uncut) It sounds fine here (about 1" in). Extending the arm into the drum any farther, starts to affect the sound to my ears. No arm into the shell would be ideal. (I don't know if that 1" matters or is it in my head? It might matter for those recording) The plates should be here in the next few days, or tomorrow, and I will be curious to see if the tom arm still aligns in the hole without touching. Also will touching matter that much? If it touches, I will try it with a piece of the left over gasket hole material to insulate the arm from the shell. The tom on the right is a whole other issue. It needs to be adjusted all the way inward for ergonomics. BTW, I am not finding the XP8 compatible tom arms, much less at a decent price. Dave Drew is looking into his stock. E-bay prices are high. I just hope, down the road, we don't end up with more Memriloc toms, than decent length, tom arms. Ace
P.S. I might still end up cutting the tom arm just short of the shell. Just an inch or so if needed. Also, $20.00 to have Gary cut even the two mounting holes and the notch in the hoop in aluminum is what I recommend for most players. Then just cut the mount extension in half and set it up. Setting up the flanges on the hoop is not a piece of cake, BTW. More on that technique later.
View attachment 145607
I found three complete tom arms with ratchets and Memriloc clamps, as well as a tri-tom mount for $40. I thought that was a good deal. That was about two weeks ago.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
If you haven't listened to the Drummerscafe.com interview with Gary Gauger, here are a few tidbits. Gary got the RIMS idea from talking to Shelly Mann. At least the need for RIMS. Gary played in a Air Force big band after getting a degree in music education. Gary was around Stan Kenton some and got to rehearse with his band two times. Prince, in the studio,was amazed by Gary's drums after he suspended the toms. Gary's drums were used on the song "Funkytown." Go to Drummerscafe.com and type in Gauger in the search box. It's a good interview. Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I saw where Dan asked about the first Memriloc RIMS mounts. Maybe this answers it. The ad Gary is referring to is the one K.O. posted on page 4 of this thread. Ace

"Terry, (Rhythmace)

When I first came out with the RIMS® mounts I knew most of the popular hardware from the major drum companies so I had a
specific side plate for each one including a rubber gasket. The pictures in the ad show the ones we were making and carried in stock at the time. I had a drawing that showed or I should say 'suggested' how the arm could be shortened since it would have been almost impossible to get the arm to line up with the large hole once the bracket was removed. Also, the drum needed to have the ability to move somewhat so I knew the tube would have been hitting or banging against the shell when played.

I assumed ( some 'duh' factor here) that once the drum companies realized that their customers were trying to order their drums from the dealers without a hole or multiple holes in the shell they would begin to offer this as an option. Not only would it have been a selling point and make their drums sound better but would have saved them money by not drilling the shells.
I was even so naive to think that they might even contact me to license or purchase RIMS® as an option to offer with their drums. After all, I had most all their major endorsers using my suspension mounts on their drums so it only seemed logical.
Peter Erskine told me when he was with Yamaha that he requested his sets be supplied without holes but they refused. I was amazed at that since Peter was probably one of their biggest names at the time.....
It never happened nor did I ever get any drum company to request to make RIMS® a part of their product line.

When I licensed the patents to Purecuussion in 1985 they wanted to consolidate as many of the side plate patterns to as few options as possible so we settled on the Universal side plate for the tube type hardware and the Triangular side plate for 'L' arm type mounts. We stamped most of the popular patterns in the Universal plate hence the name. The dealers also requested this since they didn't want to stock more than 2 side plates. This was just about the time when Rogers 'was history' so Purecussion only stocked a small quantity of the Rogers plates for about a year before it was discontinued.

Gary"

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Plates aren't here yet, but maybe today. i have been pondering floor tom feet now. I have two FTs as shown. Since I couldn't decide, and they are cheap, and MF has free shipping right now, I ordered two sets of Gibralter and one set of Pearl ISO feet. Will see which ones fit, or fit best on Memriloc legs, and if any sound difference. (I will try them on my Script FTs too) I like the small toms sound without any arms extending into the shell. That is a big improvement. They have to be at the end of the arms, so that might be a factor, as FloydZKing pointed out. A few side notes on sound. I really like my newish deep Powertone. I put on those carbon steel German 16 strand wires. I was having a problem with my ride cymbal sound. It's a 20" A Custom Ping. I got way too much "ping" with nylon tipped sticks. I happened to buy a pair of Vic Firth nlyon tipped sticks, on sale, with the SAN VIC GRIP, and it took the excess "ping" out. Love it !!! Now I need that grip on all my nylon tipped sticks. Ace
IMG_0454.JPG

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I was checking with Gary on the plates and told him one of my favorite drummers was Jake Hanna. Got this great response. Ace

"Terry, (Rhythmace)

I sent the side plates by US Mail the same as before....they went out the same day I received them in a 'buble' mailer so you should have them by tomorrow for sure.

About Jake Hanna.....

He became a very dear friend of mine after I came out with my suspension mounts and attended the first NAMM show in Chicago. I was always a fan since I first heard him with Woody's band when I was in high school. I met him while doing a Canadian Jazz Festival that traveled across Canada in the 70's ...he was playing with the group Super Sax. He was one of my biggest supporters and a great help to me at the NAMM Shows. He would bring drummers by my booth all day long to show and 'demo' my suspension mounts. He brought Jeff Hamilton by along with several other 'A' list players.
Two years ago a good friend and another great LA drummer Steve Schaeffer called me to tell me that Jake wasn't well but that he had mentioned to Steve that he knew me and loved my playing besides my products. When Steve called me I had planned to fly out to LA just to see Jake and cheer him up......I called Jake and we spoke for a few minutes....I didn't tell him that I was coming out to LA to see him had my ticket. It was gonna be a surprise....I arranged with Steve to go over to see Jake shortly after I arrived. Unfortunately, Steve called me 2 days before I left MN and told me that Jake had passed away the previous night......very sad day indeed...
What a great friend and one of the best drummers I ever heard.....
Jeff Hamilton told me once that Jake was the only drummer that could ever (unintentionally) intimidate him since no one could play the tempos that Jake did with Woody's band and make it look so easy...

Garys"

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have been pondering floor tom feet now. I have two FTs as shown. Since I couldn't decide, and they are cheap, and MF has free shipping right now, I ordered two sets of Gibralter and one set of Pearl ISO feet. Will see which ones fit, or fit best on Memriloc legs, and if any sound difference. (I will try them on my Script FTs too)
I can tell you in advance, the gibraltar feet don't fit. I tried getting them on my M/L FT legs. No dice. The Pearl won't fit either unless the material is extremely flexible. Both are 3/8".

The M/L are 5/8" in diameter. I measured last night. Looks like making my own ISO feet is the way. There must be some hollow rubber balls made for another purpose that will do the trick. Tennis balls or racquet balls cut in half? I made a thread asking about actual large FT ISO feet but no one knows.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Got the plates just now. Gary shipped them out on Monday, the same day he received them. USPS was a little slow this time. Took them five days. Now for the assembly. Ace
IMG_0464.JPG
The original washer was too big for the notch and the bolt was a little too long. I used the bolts and washers that I bought. or that Gary furnished. Not sure which.
IMG_0465.JPG
Masking tape over the holes.
IMG_0466.JPG
Unless I feel the need to move the tom, I got lucky on the 12". Just a little tom arm extended past the plate. The arm lined up with the shell hole until I tilted the drum. Then it touched on the high side if I need the arm in that far. I will need to do that on the 13" though.
IMG_0467.JPG
Just taped over the bolt holes in the 13". Going to try this one with the arm into the shell. Stop snickering there in the back of the forum!
IMG_0468.JPG

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I woke up two grand babies at the same time checking out the 13". Ug. I am having trouble tuning it even before mounting it. It ended up with over 1" going into the shell. If you click the second pic, you can see that the arm ended up right in the middle. I might just cut off that small amount though. Ace
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
They came out nice Ace!

Now...about removing the black dot from the batter on the 12, I don't even think that's legal is it? :lurk:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I suggest getting some gaffer tape, the stuff they use in the A/V industry, for taping over the holes. It won't leave a residue or deteriorate like masking tape is known for. You can get it in a color that blends in with your wrap. After that, I guarantee you'll use it ubiquitously like duct tape.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Can someone with a RIMS mount tell me how much clearance there is between the inside of the mounting plate and the shell? If I add RIMS to my Swivomatics, I'd prefer to mount them without removing the original mounts. A Swivo mount extends exactly 1" from the shell. I think it would be close, but might just make it. I won't have any other problems, because I'm planning on using Ludwig style mounts. Thanks very much.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Can someone with a RIMS mount tell me how much clearance there is between the inside of the mounting plate and the shell? If I add RIMS to my Swivomatics, I'd prefer to mount them without removing the original mounts. A Swivo mount extends exactly 1" from the shell. I think it would be close, but might just make it. I won't have any other problems, because I'm planning on using Ludwig style mounts. Thanks very much.
1 3/16" .......actually 1 7/32" Don't you wish that those mount cover plates were cheaper? Petty sells them at $50.00. Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
They came out nice Ace!

Now...about removing the black dot from the batter on the 12, I don't even think that's legal is it? :lurk:
Dang! Someone noticed. LOL! It came on the tom that way, but the problem is I like it. I guess a clear Ambassador would be the same? Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I suggest getting some gaffer tape, the stuff they use in the A/V industry, for taping over the holes. It won't leave a residue or deteriorate like masking tape is known for. You can get it in a color that blends in with your wrap. After that, I guarantee you'll use it ubiquitously like duct tape.
So far I have only found black in the REAL gaffers tape. Someone should sell it by the yard at those prices. LOL! Thanks for the tip though. I do plan on buying some. Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Observation. Since RIMS moves your toms out, over one inch from the mount, and the toms hang down a little bit, it messed with my ergonomics. Right now I am in the middle of working that out, and at the same time, it determines the holding arms length. It's a puzzle to be worked out with a 24" bass drum and two up toms. Then there is the arm into the shell consideration. Ace

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's probably not going to work, IMO. From experience I can tell you that a tom on a RIMs mount doesn't sit completely flush and parallel between the tom hoop and the RIM. It gets worse if like most people, you angle your toms at all. That, and the drum moving around inside the mount make it likely to come in contact with the RIMs mount. The system is slightly fluid in movement, which is part of what allows the tom to sing. Actually in the case of the newer alloy and mount, I've seen a 12" tom that appeared to be trampolining down and back up by a good 1.5 inches.

Nothing to stop you from trying it, but I have my doubts, especially since the measurement of 1 and 3/16ths was posted. That's not a lot of wiggle room. Anyway, good luck! I hope I'm wrong.

p.s. - Noticed you said you're using a Ludwig mount. If you're talking about the vibra band, it doesn't sit out much further from the shell than the RIMs do. The good news for what you're trying to do is that vibra bands hold on stiffer and the toms don't wiggle as much. However, because of that they don't sound as open compared to using RIMs.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
So far I have only found black in the REAL gaffers tape. Someone should sell it by the yard at those prices. LOL! Thanks for the tip though. I do plan on buying some. Ace
I swear I posted a link in my reply above, but maybe not. Anyway, here's what I meant to do. They have they colored gaffer's tape. ULine Gaffer's Tape I'm getting the blue for my Blue Mist kit. Not an exact match but that would be asking a lot.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Clarification from Gary at RIMS on price etc.

"Terry, (Rhythmace)

The prices on our web site include shipping within the USA so the only additional charge for the side plate modification is $20.00 per side plate. If a customer outside the USA wants a shipping quote we can let them know the additional shipping after they tell us the sizes they would like to purchase. They don't need to send us their Rogers hardware since we now have a template (thanks to You) to add the hole pattern.
They can order the side plates without the larger hole but I don't see how they would be able to cut or trim the Rogers mount all the way down without special tools. The mount will not set on the side plate evenly unless the tube is totally removed down to the surface. It's difficult to do and care must be taken not to damage the rest of the mount when removing all the tube.
Shortening the tube down to about 1/4" or 1/2" seems to be the best way to go after experimenting with your mounts.

Gary"
Guys, the way I see it, if you want to cut as little as possible( talking about the mount extension AND the tom arm) then cut them both just short of the shell (or at least the tom arm length). Then you still have the maximum length adjustment left. You never know? Ace

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Finally got the ergonomics back right. I had to raise the 12" at the post, one notch. So far I haven't cut any arms. (except the tom mount arms that Gary ground down for me) the 13" arm extends into the shell more that one inch, but doesn't touch the hole. It lined up nicely. The 12" has a little arm in the hole, and lightly touches the shell hole. I put a little thin rubber piece in there. It was the hole piece from the gasket. They sound great. Not fully decided on cutting the arm on either. Ace
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
1 3/16" .......actually 1 7/32" Don't you wish that those mount cover plates were cheaper? Petty sells them at $50.00. Ace
Ha! See below. Nice job the project though. It was a long and tricky project. They look good now. Are you happy with the sound?

That's probably not going to work, IMO. From experience I can tell you that a tom on a RIMs mount doesn't sit completely flush and parallel between the tom hoop and the RIM. It gets worse if like most people, you angle your toms at all. That, and the drum moving around inside the mount make it likely to come in contact with the RIMs mount. The system is slightly fluid in movement, which is part of what allows the tom to sing. Actually in the case of the newer alloy and mount, I've seen a 12" tom that appeared to be trampolining down and back up by a good 1.5 inches.

Nothing to stop you from trying it, but I have my doubts, especially since the measurement of 1 and 3/16ths was posted. That's not a lot of wiggle room. Anyway, good luck! I hope I'm wrong.

p.s. - Noticed you said you're using a Ludwig mount. If you're talking about the vibra band, it doesn't sit out much further from the shell than the RIMs do. The good news for what you're trying to do is that vibra bands hold on stiffer and the toms don't wiggle as much. However, because of that they don't sound as open compared to using RIMs.
I didn't explain this very well, sorry Jackson. See pics. It does fit, into the hollow which I won't be using, because I am going to use Gibraltar L mounting hardware - I meant it's a Ludwig/Tama mounting style.

I am not keen on removing the Swivo hardware from the 12". It's pretty much pristine. But I do have these home made covering plates which I found in the garage. Bit rough, but I like them much more since I found out they are worth $50 each ;-)

If I just leave the Swivo mounts and rotate the 12" 180 degrees, It's fine but no badge. Oh well. I want to buy the Gauger RIMS (I have owned them a long time ago) but with shipping, two of them will cost nearly $200. No question of the quality difference or the customer service of course. Just have to see how the budget goes. One other thing in their favour besides the weight and construction is that if I do decide to remove the Swivo mounts, I could order the RIMS with the half plate, which I like the idea of.

Latest posts