Not one, but two 1980 Tama Bell Brass Snares!

OldSticks

Reaction score
Today I was fortunate (and lucky), to have added a second 1980 Tama bell brass snare to my snare collection. First year made in which the raw brass shell was not laquered (protected/sealed), making every one of these very different looking. A BB residing in the mid-west will look different than one residing on the west coast where the air is damp with salt from the ocean.

I purchased the second one from a gentleman with a great collection of snares he has used over the years in his recording studio. I plan on having both of these up and running soon (new heads/tuning). If any of you are ever in Las Vegas and would to take a few whacks at these, you are more than welcome. I like hanging out and talking drums.

Have a great weekend

Rudy
I bought a Tama Bell Brass in 1980. It was conned/stolen from me in 2016 in South Bend, IN. Best snare I ever played. Congratulations, very fine drum

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted one and I’ve come close a couple of times. I think I’m with Osahead, I gave up looking!

OldSticks

Reaction score
I had one. I got careless and trusted the wrong guy to hold it a couple weeks while I tried his recommended swap. He took it and didn't answer my texts or emails for 4 years. It's on ME that this happened, and I think I hate to accept that I'm ultimately responsible for losing my best drum!! It's been suggested a Tama Starphonic may be a decent somewhat similar replacement. Today, I have more time to talk about it than I have money to do it, but that'll change. That snare played well at high volume in outdoor blues gigs without amplification, and it played well at low volume in a living room. I'll miss it, but I'm not going to jail for acting out some of the rage I feel about this. THERE, I fell better just for venting. This to shall pass. I got to really know that fabulous drum, and most drummers can't say that. Much love, and thanks for a forum where I could vent and help put it to rest. JM

Last edited by a moderator:

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one. I got careless and trusted the wrong guy to hold it a couple weeks while I tried his recommended swap. He took it and didn't answer my texts or emails for 4 years. It's on ME that this happened, and I think I hate to accept that I'm ultimately responsible for losing my best drum (*$#@!!). It's been suggested a Tama Starphonic may be a decent somewhat similar replacement. Today, I have more time to talk about it than I have money to do it, but that'll change. That snare played well at high volume in outdoor blues gigs without amplification, and it played well at low volume in a living room. I'll miss it, but I'm not going to jail for acting out some of the rage I feel about this. THERE, I fell better just for venting. This to shall pass. I got to really know that fabulous drum, and most drummers can't say that. Much love, and thanks for a forum where I could vent and help put it to rest. JM

Damn, not cool. I would have sought out legal action against him.

OldSticks

Reaction score
Damn, not cool. I would have sought out legal action against him.
Thank you. I don't have a bill or note describing the swap, I don't even have the serial number. He's a bum, too. No apparent income or effort. He starts out with "I help drummers". I knew the 80 TBB was a very good drum, I'd played it for 40 years. I didn't know it had the terrific value till AFTER he conned me. I'm making a campaign telling all the musicians I know or meet, and the music stores in the region:"protect the young and inexperienced drummers he want's to 'help'". I don't think I'll have one again, but I could be wrong! I have the 70-72 Slingerland 136 Festival he swapped to me (a very shiny crap student snare). I need to just act like I don't have a snare yet, and go forward. I won't have $2000+ for a 80 TBB. I'm going to plan on $300-$500 for a snare, and find a "live" drum, that works well at low and medium+ volume. I won't play heavy rock or metal, and if it needs to be louder, I'll mic it. Ya know, this issue has been irritating for 4 years. Venting among friendly folks that understand the loss relieves me, so I can go forward. I think I know a way I can screw him pretty well, legally, and without him knowing it's me. It won't get me the snare back, but........ Much love, thanx for listening. I'd love to hear what might make a good replacement

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't have a bill or note describing the swap, I don't even have the serial number. He's a bum, too. No apparent income or effort. He starts out with "I help drummers". I knew the 80 TBB was a very good drum, I'd played it for 40 years. I didn't know it had the terrific value till AFTER he conned me. I'm making a campaign telling all the musicians I know or meet, and the music stores in the region:"protect the young and inexperienced drummers he want's to 'help'". I don't think I'll have one again, but I could be wrong! I have the 70-72 Slingerland 136 Festival he swapped to me (a very shiny crap student snare). I need to just act like I don't have a snare yet, and go forward. I won't have $2000+ for a 80 TBB. I'm going to plan on $300-$500 for a snare, and find a "live" drum, that works well at low and medium+ volume. I won't play heavy rock or metal, and if it needs to be louder, I'll mic it. Ya know, this issue has been irritating for 4 years. Venting among friendly folks that understand the loss relieves me, so I can go forward. I think I know a way I can screw him pretty well, legally, and without him knowing it's me. It won't get me the snare back, but........ Much love, thanx for listening. I'd love to hear what might make a good replacement
Have a custom cast bronze made by Duluth brass. They provide the shell, do the drilling, edges, snare beds, you provide whatever hardware you want. They can also do cast bronze hoops.
Here is a link to a thread here on DFO with many builds, and also the link to their website.

Jam-Man

Reaction score
That is awesome. I was never lucky enough to find one, so I got a Gretsch Bell Brass. Good snare too.

WesChilton

Reaction score
That is awesome. I was never lucky enough to find one, so I got a Gretsch Bell Brass. Good snare too.
Yeah I have been looking at one of those in lieu of ever finding an 80s Tama... the definitely don't sound the same, but still very good.

Jam-Man

Reaction score
I found one on Sweetwater a few months ago, really like it except for the strainer...changing the wires on that thing is a nightmare. It is normally a nightmare for me to change wires anyway, and that thing makes it impossible.