Not Really OT: Joe Henderson

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I was fortunate to meet Joe Henderson at the Orlando Jazz Fest in the late 1980's. All of the acts were staying at the downtown hotel where I was working 6 nights a week. Joe came in that night with Freddie Hubbard, and we had a nice talk. I also met the great Louis Hayes, who gave me some good advice about jazz drumming.

This is one of my favorite tenor sax solos of all time. Joe honks and takes it out at first, but then he brings is back in with beautiful melody. "Mode for Joe," written by Cedar Walton, is a simple tune, D flat and E flat. Modal stuff is not simplistic. You really have to dig deep to create something meaningful.

The band is killing: Cedar, Ron Carter, Bobby Hutcherson, Curtis Fuller, Joe Chambers on drums. The whole album is phenomenal.

Enjoy:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Big Joe fan here.

Here's another great one, this with Mike Hyman on the drums. Mike takes a nice solo on this...

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you...I really enjoyed that, and I will look for more.

Wonderful to discover new (to me) music....

Realizing (late) how much I've missed and enjoying the evolution of my ear from rock to jazz oriented stuff.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
He said “buy up all the Gretsch bop size drums that nobody wants these days, you’ll thank me in 2019.”

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Well, what did Hayes say?
Among other things, he said, "You have good time---up to a point." He didn't mean I was dragging or rushing. He meant that I was losing intensity as the tune went on, backing up a dozen choruses of horn solos. Lesson learned. Thank you, Louis.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Among other things, he said, "You have good time---up to a point." He didn't mean I was dragging or rushing. He meant that I was losing intensity as the tune went on, backing up a dozen choruses of horn solos. Lesson learned. Thank you, Louis.
- That can be difficult if said horn players are long winded and devoid of ideas.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few decades ago I was in London and went to a Tower Records (can't remember which branch, but one with a good selection). I was pretty open to all sorts of music at the time, and went into the jazz area. As I was looking around, the music played by the people at the counter caught my attention. It was Joe Henderson's fusion-era album Multiple. Highly underrated IMHO. I purchased it on the spot (the fellow that put it on said that it had "interesting voicings" in regards to Henderson's paying and vocalizing), gave it away, purchased it again twenty years later. Another great DeJohnette album for those who are looking.

In subsequent years I have purchased the major Blue Note Henderson dates - all worth while and highly recommended. I thought the Multiple album (as it is between his golden years and later renaissance) might be worth a shout-out for those inclined.

PS - On another occasion at Tower Records I discovered "Hell's Bells" by pianist John Hicks in a similar way. Quite a talent.

Last edited:

Latest posts