Not Sure How My Forum Name Changed

clinker555

Reaction score
My forum name has been Will ever since I joined,yet recently I noticed it showing up as clinker555. I do use this as a username on many other online accounts, but do not remember changing it here. I am 63, but haven't noticed any signs of alzheimer's... so far. Appreciate any help on this.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As an admin on another forum, I've never seen a name change unless a user asked admin to change it.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
In the last major software update they did away with the distinction between your account name (clinker555) and your screen name (Will). The screen names simply evaporated as a concept. I was always zenstat (screen name) and logged in as steveblack (account name). I've noticed that a few people complained and had their account names changed to what their screen name used to be. As far as I know this is a Moderator level or Admin level change. Squeaky wheel. Grease.

They also removed the ability to have images in Private Messages. Older ones are still there but the interface to add them is gone. On the plus side there is a nifty new drag and drop way to add images. But not to Private Messages (aka Conversations).

I presume it isn't our local Admin and support people making these choices and changes. This is what the providers of ZenForo said I suspect...although usually it is cast in terms of "you need to upgrade for better protection against hackers" and "we are no longer going to support the version you were on".

Disclaimer: I'm 66 but I do have the advantage of having worked in computing since 1970, and a PhD. So I've forgotten more about how these things work than most people in the general population have ever known. Although the technology has changed, people are still people, which lets me bluff my way on diagnosis of system problems pretty well.

Last edited:

clinker555

Reaction score
In the last major software update they did away with the distinction between your account name (clinker555) and your screen name (Will). The screen names simply evaporated as a concept. I was always zenstat (screen name) and logged in as steveblack (account name). I've noticed that a few people complained and had their account names changed to what their screen name used to be. As far as I know this is a Moderator level or Admin level change. Squeaky wheel. Grease.

They also removed the ability to have images in Private Messages. Older ones are still there but the interface to add them is gone. On the plus side there is a nifty new drag and drop way to add images. But not to Private Messages (aka Conversations).

I presume it isn't our local Admin and support people making these choices and changes. This is what the providers of ZenForo said I suspect...although usually it is cast in terms of "you need to upgrade for better protection against hackers" and "we are no longer going to support the version you were on".

Disclaimer: I'm 66 but I do have the advantage of having worked in computing since 1970, and a PhD. So I've forgotten more about how these things work than most people in the general population have ever known. Although the technology has changed, people are still people, which lets me bluff my way on diagnosis of system problems pretty well.
Thanks for the explanation. Not a huge deal, but maybe I'll squeak my old screen name back into existence.

Latest posts