header.nohb.html

Not sure I dig my Speed Cobra BD pedal. Thinking I should try out some short board direct-drive pedals. Recommendations?

aarono2690

Reaction score
I believe I’ve seen Pearl Demon Drive and Tama Dyna-Sync mentioned as good direct-drive pedals, but other than that I’m a little clueless on the short board/DD pedals. Obviously I need to try them out, but not sure what 4-5 pedals should be on my radar. I would like to keep it under $450 new or used.

Currently using a Speed Cobra single pedal. Good pedal, but it never feels right to me. I have pretty small feet and the board feels gargantuan to me. I can never get a good feel with my foot despite screwing around with placement and various tension settings.

I have hopped on other kits to screw around and short board pedals always felt more natural to my feet. I have never tried a DD pedal, but seeing responsiveness as their main attribute is appealing to me.

Any recommendations for 4-5 pedals to keep on my radar?

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just bought a Speed Cobra not too long ago and love it. Yes it's a longer board, but I love that extra room to work with. It took me a few weeks to adjust to it, after 15 some odd years with a DW 9000, but I like it much better; lighter feel, faster, smoother, etc. Pedals are very personal, imo. You should really go to a drum shop and try some DD's out. You're going to get a thousand personal preferences throw your way, but you're the one who has to play it. Good luck.

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a like new but used speed cobra double this summer, (for $525 CAN, needed for “smash-up endings”), agree the footboard is a bit long, it’d very well designed/built pedal but I think meant for what it’s called; Speed.
It’s really more than I need, I’d be fine with a DW 3000.

The drummer I bought the Speed cobra from preferred his Dyna-sync.
BTW inflation is real in Canada as new Speed Cobra double is now $742 CAN.

My regular pedal is a Tama Classic, far end of the scale from Speed Cobra.
Many threads here about it.
If you switch from 22”/20” to 18”/16” bass drums it’s the only pedal I know of that can easily raise or lower the beater.
It’s well designed but not as well manufactured because of the price.
So you just buy two, or buy an inexpensive backup pedal.
I had used a DW 9000 for many years and sold it when I bought the Tama Classic pedal, (sold for same $ I paid for it because price has risen so much).
I’ve used Speed Kings, low level Pearl & Gibraltar doubles, DW 3000, DW 5000, Axis, DW9000,
the Tama Classic works for me.
But if I was touring I’d bring a few spares or go back to a DW 9000. High cost but retains value.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with the Speed Cobra pedals , in addition to finding the sweet spot for yourself on the board, is that it is a top light pedal. The beaters are not for everyone. I have talked to customers that got different beaters on the pedals and they loved the feel then. I would try a Dyna Sync beater on the Speed Cobras for example. Might do the trick and save you money :)

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with the Speed Cobra pedals , in addition to finding the sweet spot for yourself on the board, is that it is a top light pedal. The beaters are not for everyone. I have talked to customers that got different beaters on the pedals and they loved the feel then. I would try a Dyna Sync beater on the Speed Cobras for example. Might do the trick and save you money :)
agree, my Speed cobra came with Cobra rubber beaters, not the supplied “Accu-strike” beaters, original owner had already swapped them out, said the accu-strikes were not durable.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the board on the Speed Cobra is essentially the same length as the Dyna Sync. I have a Dyna Sync single pedal. I love it because it has a longer board than my Ludwig Atlas double pedal.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of the Yamaha 9500D directs. There's one for sale on the "Everything Else" section currently. I have 3 of them already (two in active use and one backup), or I'd be all over it :)

aarono2690

Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of the Yamaha 9500D directs. There's one for sale on the "Everything Else" section currently. I have 3 of them already (two in active use and one backup), or I'd be all over it :)
Can you give me your thoughts on it? I may buy it.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Yamaha Flying Dragon ( direct drive)for almost two decades . You can pick one up fairly cheap used .

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you give me your thoughts on it? I may buy it.
For me, it feels exactly like a direct drive should feel like -- it translates what it feels like tapping my foot on the floor directly to the drum.

aarono2690

Reaction score
I’d say so, yes. The length from the heel hinge to the direct link hinge is just under 10”
Yeah that’s definitely shorter. I measured chain to heel hinge on my Speed Cobra and it’s over 11”.

Any downsides to this pedal or anything else I should now? Sounds like a solid DD pedal.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
That Yamaha DD is my second favorite pedal, after my Speed Cobra, ha! I converted my SC to a direct drive and it's really close to the Yamaha feel. I have the equivalent of a mens size 5 foot and really like the longboard of the SC. I tend to place my foot fairly low on the board, though. Both are great pedals. VERY responsive.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s definitely shorter. I measured chain to heel hinge on my Speed Cobra and it’s over 11”.

Any downsides to this pedal or anything else I should now? Sounds like a solid DD pedal.
Nope -- no concerns from me. It's not as adjustable as some other flagship pedals, but to me that's a feature, not a bug.

The only thing I will call out -- the hoop clamp doesn't have an adjustable "pivot" height -- it's a fixed height clamp, with only the actual "clamping" screw. (Unlike other pedals that often have a round knurled nut directly over the pivot point, so you can more easily adjust to a variety of hoop heights, this just has a single fixed pin that acts as the "hinge"). I haven't found any drums that it won't fit on, though.

5stroke

Reaction score
I switched from a DW 5000 10 years ago to a Speed Cobra and have never wanted another single pedal. My feet are size 10 for reference. However, I immediately switched out the beater to an Atlas Bass Drum beater after comparing 3 different beaters in a Guitar Center and finding the Atlas yielded the thickest sound of them all --see the link below. I've remained so satisfied with that combo I've used it on virtually every gig except when I need a fluffy beater, when I'll change to the Vater Vintage Bomber (the Vic Firth fluffy beater is not as solid as the Vater is).

aarono2690

Reaction score
Nope -- no concerns from me. It's not as adjustable as some other flagship pedals, but to me that's a feature, not a bug.

The only thing I will call out -- the hoop clamp doesn't have an adjustable "pivot" height -- it's a fixed height clamp, with only the actual "clamping" screw. (Unlike other pedals that often have a round knurled nut directly over the pivot point, so you can more easily adjust to a variety of hoop heights, this just has a single fixed pin that acts as the "hinge"). I haven't found any drums that it won't fit on, though.
Just bought the used one on here. Excited to try it out!

Thanks for your help. I’ll update this after I test it. I did notice in photos the lack of the pivot screw, but it should fit on my Starclassic BD w/o issue.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I had a Tama SC for a while and liked it a lot, it was a really nice pedal and I much preferred it over the Iron Cobra. I tried a friend‘s Sonor Perfect Balance and loved it. Ive got both the standard and signature models and prefer the cheaper standard as there’s a less to go wrong with it.
Its got a perfectly round cam and a fabric strap so ( to me ) feels completely intuitive. Its like there’s nothing under your foot. I’m surprised Sonor don’t do a double version.