Not Sure What To Do About My 1970's Pearl Kit

nik62es

Reaction score
New member here asking for your advise. My 13 y.o. son is taking lessons, not a terribly gifted drummer, but keeping at it, great alternative to just basketball, etc.. He is using a Dawson kit with more or less decent aftermarket cymbals. I got hold of an incomplete Pearl wood-fibreglass kit, made in Japan, in the 1970´s. It's missing : 2 bass - tom arms, 1 tom bracket for said arm, 3 rims (floor tom and 2 toms), rubber feet on bass, floor and snare stand and the Pearl logo skin (plus the 3 tom skins..) . There is no other hardware and no snare. Is there any chance to find the missing pieces for a resonable price ? I don't want to pay collectors prices for the stuff. The rims are for the bottom, so if I can't find those, the set is still playable with the rims on the top. The arms and bracket are a must have in order to even start.. I would either need to find a more or less decent snare or keep the Dawson one for the time being, I would definitely keep all the cymbals, hihat, stands, etc.. If I get hold of those rims, I can just get some secondhand or new skins, including a plain white one for the bass drum and then an aftermarket Pearl logo.. I am in Spain/Europe so shipping costs are an issue. I don't dare publish what the incomplete kit has cost me (from a music store fed up with having it hanging around, not a junkie needing a fix) and I don't pretend getting the missing pieces for free - but I am not into spending lots of cash either.. What do you think, am I chasing a white elephant or can I really hope to complete the set, eventually ? Thanks for your input.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would think you could find generic parts that would allow the kit to function on the EU Ebay... you could look at drumfactorydirect.com and see what shipping would be if you wanted new parts. Is there something like them in the EU?

nik62es

Reaction score
Hi dtk, thanks for the reply. I don't mind new parts instead of valuable better-than-gold vintage stuff, but I would like ti to more or less look the same. Here in Europe the biggest place for any gear is Thomann, but they don't have many loose bits and pieces for drums. Will check out the company you have mentioned.

nik62es

Reaction score
Go to the swap shop in the home section... I just posted many 70s Pearl items free of charge, all you have to pay is shipping.
Hi APelletier..just gone there and looks like I'm the first to ask..can't believe that these are the exact ones I need..plus bracket...when I get back home I work out how to contact you by private message in order to exchange emails. This is just too good to be true, honestly.

nik62es

Reaction score
Hi Trilock_Gurtu..to be honest, still can't believe it. Until yesterday I was undecided wether to sell it on or try to complete it, knowing full well that this was going to be a difficult task. With those arms and bracket I manage to get it playable, everything else is secondary. My son will be tremendously pleased as he will now get a decent set, way above what I could normally afford to buy.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could always mount the toms on snare stands to make it playable. And if the bass drum has already been altered or scuffed up it's not much of a job to re-drill the bass drum for another modern style of mount that will provide more flexibility than the old ones did. Hanging tom stands are another option. Having the drums is the biggest hurdle. The method of mounting them is secondary. Plenty of choices for a decent snare drum to complete the kit....doesn't have to be a Pearl. A metal snare goes with anything. And a lot of the used 8 lug metal snares are fairly inexpensive if you can find them close to your own country (Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, etc. from $35 to $90). Ebay seems to have a number of drum sellers in the UK.

Last edited:

nik62es

Reaction score
If this isn’t great timing I have no idea what is!
Totally true !!
You could always mount the toms on snare stands to make it playable. And if the bass drum has already been altered or scuffed up it's not much of a job to re-drill the bass drum for another modern style of mount that will provide more flexibility than the old ones did. Hanging tom stands are another option. Having the drums is the biggest hurdle. The method of mounting them is secondary. Plenty of choices for a decent snare drum to complete the kit....doesn't have to be a Pearl. A metal snare goes with anything. And a lot of the used 8 lug metal snares are fairly inexpensive if you can find them close to your own country (Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, etc. from $35 to $90). Ebay seems to have a number of drum sellers in the UK.
Thanks for the input, looks like I have sorted the arm/bracket issue ! Someone very kindly is offering them free of charge, here on this forum..the exact ones I need... The bass drum is in good shape, so is the rest of the gear, I would have hated to drill anything there..even the wrapping is in nice condition. I have read that this kit came originally with a couple of different snare drums, one being a Pearl Saturn..I guess these are hard to get and expensive, so anything that is metal colored and not too bad will do..I had to repair the plastic part of the wires below the Dawson snare already, didn't make a terribly good job, but it's functional..anything will be better than this thing, I guess, so will check eBay. Spain is not the cheapest of all places for secondhand gear of any kind, so the UK may well be an option .

nik62es

Reaction score
Furious Styles..in all fairness, I have little to contribute - all credit goes to the generous soul who opted to donate, instead of selling/swapping. Vintage gear must be hard to get hold of, at least that's what it's like in my world (electric guitars)..so for someone to come forward and literally give away items..well, to me that means a lot more than can be measured in pounds and pennies (or dollars and cents). I'm not really savvy on drums, but I realize that something like this must be fate/kismet/karma/whatever..

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After some PMs with Nik and viewing some pics, I asked him if the floor was 18". He measured, and sure enough... He also said the kick is a 24 and the mounted Tom's 13 and 14... In a world full of standard 22/12/13/16 Pearl kits, Nik seems to have a monster kit on his hands! BOooooooM!!!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a big kit. 24" bass, 13 and 14 mounted and 18 floor. The 14 in a snare basket with that 18 floor and 24 bass - nice Bonham sizes! Can't see putting two Tom's in snare stands on both sides of s 24! That would be silly...

Last edited:

nik62es

Reaction score
Yep, APelletier is right..it does look kind of big, even to someone without much of a clue..but just looking at it next to my sons kit I noticed that the bass drum was somehow bigger. I have never even heard of a 24" bass drum...the 18" seems a bit on the large side as well...just as well my son is still growing, hopefully he will be able to use it properly :)

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nik also tells me this wood/FG Floor Tom is 15 x 18... never heard of that size listed for Pearl...

nik62es

Reaction score
The box with lots of goodies that APelletier generously gifted to me has arrived in Spain :) This is like an early Christmas ! apart from the very valuable tom holder assembly, there are tom brackets and screws and washers, a 13" rim, and, and, and... But to be honest, this guy has done so much more than "just" give me a lot of impossible to find and rare stuff - APelletier has been guiding me with everything. Starting from what to use for cleaning the shells (Meguiars PastX), to what snare would be suitable to complement the set, along with a million more questions I had. A very generous and kind member of this forum whom I really cannot thank enough for everything he did for me.

Attachments

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Happy to be of help. Looks like the DFO community has become a bit more international! I'm really amazed how quickly this package arrived! I tried to keep the valuation of parts down on the customs form and was pleased to hear that customs waived charging Nik because it totaled under $30! Be sure to post pics of your progress! There's still some parts leftover from my project over at the Swap Shop section of the want ads...

Last edited: