Nothin' like a great shuffle...

RayB

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds great and FEELS even better! Not real sure why what it's called is so all important. (Geez! this is a tough room:glasses2:)
Bless you, lamartee!

Fred Below played great grooves with a great sound. Things have gotten analyzed and dissected to a crazy degree. Who cares what it's called?' IMHO, Fred Below, Benny Benjamin, Earl Palmer, Sonny Freeman, Panama Francis, Hal Blaine and some other older guys played much better "shuffles" than most drummers today. They knew how to make you dance and feel good. Always had some swing and shimmy. You felt the backbeat through your body but they NEVER whipped or pounded 2 & 4. They had a great balance to their playing. Too much articulation ruins the natural flow. Then again, it's been a long time since we played shuffles and swing grooves for dancers all night; when those grooves were the hip and popular ones of the day.

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ever it is he plays it very well but I would not call it a shuffle.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you listen to the audio? Because it's a great shuffle.
Leaving aside the question of whether you're the designated "shuffle judge," yes, I did listen to it, and am pretty sure my opinion is at least as definitive as yours.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaving aside the question of whether you're the designated "shuffle judge," yes, I did listen to it, and am pretty sure my opinion is at least as definitive as yours.
It “ qualifies “ as a shuffle for sure .
Don’t know any other way to describe it ?

The drummer doesn’t have to play the 2&4 to qualify it .
I would call it a swing shuffle if I had to name it . That’s how I’d describe it to my bandmates if I called it off onstage .

The rest of the band is shuffling .

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a strange thread. Is it a shuffle? Well is it shuffling?

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies, but at one time I considered all types of Rhythms with a danceable beat to be called a shuffle. But as a traditional Country AND Western (musician) umm drummer, the bands I play in will break it down to, Swing that's like the old Big Band Jazzy beat, or a Twostep shuffle being an upbeat rhythm and depending on type of song it could be a strait 1/8 note or 1/4 note feel for the song.

sherm

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Opinions don’t matter , it’s a shuffle in notation on paper .
You sit firmly in the same camp
as me, personally. I have a precisely defined set of criteria regarding what I’d call a shuffle. Obviously, evidence has indicated other schools of thought. That’s what makes it so interesting to me. Since noone’s opinion could be called definitive, the differences within it are a fascinating study of how different sets of ears process the same stimula. (I need to lay off binge-watching Big Bang Theory.)

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sit firmly in the same camp
as me, personally. I have a precisely defined set of criteria regarding what I’d call a shuffle. Obviously, evidence has indicated other schools of thought. That’s what makes it so interesting to me. Since noone’s opinion could be called definitive, the differences within it are a fascinating study of how different sets of ears process the same stimula. (I need to lay off binge-watching Big Bang Theory.)
The musical notation that it would be designates it a shuffle not anyones opinion .

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels like a swing shuffle to me .....and did you notice, no complicated fills? It didn't need anything...just a straight ahead swing shuffle...thanks for sharing!

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
As I earlier stated, there are probably as many definitions of a "Shuffle" as there are drummers.
I maintain that ol' Fred is definitely shuffling, but my definition is apparently pretty broad compared to some others here.
So I ask of any of you: What constitutes a shuffle? Please be as specific as possible. Notated examples would be helpful rather than YouTube clips -- less ambiguity that way.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I earlier stated, there are probably as many definitions of a "Shuffle" as there are drummers.
I maintain that ol' Fred is definitely shuffling, but my definition is apparently pretty broad compared to some others here.
So I ask of any of you: What constitutes a shuffle? Please be as specific as possible. Notated examples would be helpful rather than YouTube clips -- less ambiguity that way.

I think notated examples are partially why we're even talking about this. Someone puts something in a book, and then it's gospel. Seems to me it's more how something is played than a specific beat. Here's a notated example to explain what I mean:

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 8.53.09 PM.png

This is both a really driving straight ahead rock beat AND a double shuffle.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think notated examples are partially why we're even talking about this. Someone puts something in a book, and then it's gospel. Seems to me it's more how something is played than a specific beat. Here's a notated example to explain what I mean:

View attachment 560064

This is both a really driving straight ahead rock beat AND a double shuffle.
I’m going to disagree , I don’t see any triplets ????

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree , I don’t see any triplets ????
It's because you can either swing the 8ths (implied triplets) or play them straight. It's notated the exact same way, it's up to the player to interpret the style.