header.nohb.html

Nothin' like a great shuffle...

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Shiuffle? Swuffle? Either way it's sweet. I can never get enough partial to Purdy myself.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because you can either swing the 8ths (implied triplets) or play them straight. It's notated the exact same way, it's up to the player to interpret the style.
I just can’t ……….

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t ……….

surely you've seen the standard jazz ride swing pattern written like this? It's almost always written like this?

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 10.25.38 PM.png

Doesn't have to be, of course. Lots of times people just aren't going to put the time into writing in rests for the skipped triplet or writing it as dotted 8ths and 16ths. I sure wouldn't. You just know it's supposed to be swung and you play it that way.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
surely you've seen the standard jazz ride swing pattern written like this? It's almost always written like this?

View attachment 560069

Doesn't have to be, of course. Lots of times people just aren't going to put the time into writing in rests for the skipped triplet or writing it as dotted 8ths and 16ths. I sure wouldn't. You just know it's supposed to be swung and you play it that way.
That still doesn’t notate a shuffle or a swing pattern , I’m no expert but doesn’t a shuffle land on 1st and 3rd partial ?

That notation is only on the 1st

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I think notated examples are partially why we're even talking about this. Someone puts something in a book, and then it's gospel. Seems to me it's more how something is played than a specific beat. Here's a notated example to explain what I mean:

View attachment 560064

This is both a really driving straight ahead rock beat AND a double shuffle.
From my days of reading charts, the composer would indicate "swing" or "straight" at the top of the page. If marked "swing" your example would definitely be a shuffle.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now , I’m just a very elementary reader apparently.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think swing shuffle is a good explanation/description.

I would also call it broken shuffle,Fred looks like the right hand is sometimes playing a spang a Lang jazz shuffle,and sometimes doing three quarter notes and one spangalang per measure therefore "breaking it up "

It looked like Fred was shuffling the left hand to drive the groove but the hardest accent was mostly the stroke following the 2 giving it a more swing r and b flavor.He may have been breaking up the left and or really ghosting some the strikes also.

I played in some straight up blues bands for a few years and did my best to learn variations on the shuffle,and did manage to come up with 6 or seven different ones,with some variations on those,and I would go watch pro shuffle drummers to get some ideas,and what set me apart from those guys was the skill they had with the very subtle variations they could do,just making it a tiny bit different could be very challenging I found.

The shuffle,10 minutes to learn a lifetime to master IMO.