Nothing THIS cheap, should work THIS good! thread

notINtheband

Reaction score
80603529-1F56-45CE-83AA-CBD3BF68DA09.jpeg
2EEC3AF3-99C5-4CAF-BE68-78518E5408A2.jpeg

From the ‘never saw it comin’ file, a few years ago I put together my Tama Club Jam kit for gigs at tiny venues or just practice.
I tried to use only stands and even cymbals that took up less space but still performed admirably.
While I own 5 other high-end hi-hat stands, each one is built to withstand a 400-pound gorilla playing speed metal.
This one I picked up in a pawn shop for $20 and has to be a junior size, perhaps even came with a kids kit for all I know.
But dammit, this thing performs flawlessly!
I can’t find any markings on it so I don’t know the model, or make. But through about 5 years of gigging, rehearsals, practice sessions, load ins and load outs, it is just a silent killer.
I can’t get over how well it works, adjusts, folds down to nothing, and just disappears into the gig bag when I break down.
Nothing this cheap should ever work this well. Yet it does. Performs right up there with my top of the line Pearl and Falcon models.
Got anything you bought for peanuts that just blew you away?

Also, any idea what make hi hat stand this thing is? I swear I would buy one again at full retail.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
So on this Mid-West tour I'm currently in the middle of I'm forced to use a kit that was frankensteined together. The Snare is by far the best, being a Ludwig Black Beauty. The hardware is a mish-mosh of vintage Yamaha and some other non-brand specific stuff. The Hi Hat is a Cort. I've seen that name before, but no nothing about it. It's much like yours in the photo. Simple, lightweight, and works!
The Kick and Toms are generic china-made non-name drums. By all standards, junk. Surprisingly the Kick has 10 lugs, but I did have to use a razor to cut the top of the wrap offjdst to get a new head to fit it! To my amazement, after changing the heads and spending some time tuning this kick rocks! I got to hear it miced up from front of house a couple times and I was blown away! Plus I'm getting compliments from the opening drummers every night on how good the drums sound.
Shouldn't work with these Wal-mart drums, but they do!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This dirt cheap Gear4music house brand pedal. The feel of it is very close to a DW 5000, at less than 20% of the price.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 7 or 8 years ago I'm visiting my old haunts in Colorado, and unexpectedly I landed a gig with one of the best-known jazz cats in the Denver/Fort Collins area. Of course, I don't have my set with me, but there is a kit at the venue. I just need cymbals, and I have two hours to find some. Well, I discover this music store in town that has a huge selection of used cymbals, and they are willing to rent any of my choice for a night. Most of the cymbals are heavy rock cymbals. The only ones that seem useful for jazz are these super cheap Chinese no-name cymbals, that they rent to me for $5 each. So for $15 I have a ride, a crash, and hi hats. They work perfectly for the gig. I return them the next day, and ask how much to buy the hi hats - $10 he says. I still have no idea what the brand was, nor did the guy in the shop. I bought the hi hats and used them for a while before giving them to a young local drummer who needed a set.