Notice anything about your habits or texhnique during isolation?

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One interesting thing about social distancing is that I've been noticing things about my own playing that I haven't really looked at too deeply in the past. The big one is that my left and right hand play totally differently. My right hand is very much fingers and drop pick up as far as my stroke goes. My left is mostly wrist with just a little bit of my fingers. The goal is to try and even that out but after 30 years of playing I'm not sure how much of that will happen. How 'bout you all? Anything you've noticed that you would like to correct?

Last edited:

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my brushwork, timing, and playing quietly. I live in an urban area, in an old building with 8 units....so I have to be fairly quiet. I have some old 9A's and some ancient Pro Mark "G"s. It's like playing with knitting needles, but seriously helps keeps the volume down. There are lots of drumless tracks out there. It's been productive.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Its been a great opportunity to stay loose. I have a set of Roland V-Drums...play an hour a day. Great way to forget about whats going on. A lot on YouTube to play with. Roland td17.jpg

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its been a great opportunity to stay loose. I have a set of Roland V-Drums...play an hour a day. Great way to forget about whats going on. A lot on YouTube to play with. View attachment 433444
Yeah, I ordered a Nitro E kit. Showed up in 2 days! Not the V drums but it's doing the trick. I'm in an apartment so I can't play my real kit.

greegor

Reaction score
I'm working on basics - clean up my paradiddles, better six strokes and figure out why my left foot is so stupid!

Fat_asian

Reaction score
Yeah going back to basics counting again. Not making elaborate beats that make you say "what's that guy doing on the drums? It's crazy!" I use too many fills. Trying to get downpact more smoothness while using the cymbals, a more constant beat. I really am taking care of my ears too by wearing earplugs!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been checking out the Murderhands Online FB group. Trying to keep up with Alex, et al, will do things for your hands if you stick with it.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Playing at a lower volume with a focus on nuance to keep the family and neighbours placated. Back on the pad going through the rudiments more than I usually would in an attempt to really hone in on my weaker hand. Just bade my wife goodnight as I hunker down to alternating 5 and 9 stroke rolls. She followed that by practicing her eye rolls.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One interesting thing about social distancing is that I've been noticing things about my own playing that I haven't really looked at too deeply in the past. The big one is that my left and right hand play totally differently. My right hand is very much fingers and drop pick up as far as my stroke goes. My left is mostly wrist with just a little bit of my fingers. The goal is to try and even that out but after 30 years of playing I'm not sure how much of that will happen. How 'bout you all? Anything you've noticed that you would like to correct?
My God, Brother! This is my exact same issue, which I’ve only discovered recently.

Unsure if I can change this late in the game.

I still suck, but am proud I’ve diagnosed at least one reason for said suckery.

Latest posts