Novus1 and 2

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
I was going to order some to remove some light scratches on my blue agate Slingerland. The reviews of the product were mixed.
Any thoughts about Novus?

Thanks

Angelo

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I use to use it when I restored old pinball machines for the plastics and also play field. Worked pretty good. Depends on severity you are trying to correct. 3 is most ‘coarse’, then 2, then 1 is really just a clean-n-shine.
Someone recently here here used it on scratches on a red/white/blue kit. I’ll see if I can find post.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Convertible tops used to (some still do) have Plastic rear windows; rear "curtains'.

to get out scratches and restore them We used to use.. can't remember..
in a short black (and blue) metal can

Last edited:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used Novus 2 on acoustic guitars quite a bit... will NOT remove deep scratches, but works good on smaller stuff and really make a finish shine. Try it.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to order some to remove some light scratches on my blue agate Slingerland. The reviews of the product were mixed.
Any thoughts about Novus?

Thanks

Angelo
I have Novus 1 and 2 but only use 2 for the most part now.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Ok guys. I will give it a try . Really hard to see the scratches unless the sun is just right. But I will at least make them shine

Thanks

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used Novus 2 on acoustic guitars quite a bit... will NOT remove deep scratches, but works good on smaller stuff and really make a finish shine. Try it.
Wouldn't that depend on what finish is on the guitar? Acoustic guitars sometimes have nitro, sometimes poly...I would think this would work well for poly but could go right through nitro.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was building plastic model airplane kits in the '80s I used Novus 2 and Novus 1 to polish clear canopies and to polish plastic that was to be painted with metallic finishes (which magnify any imperfection in the underlying plastic). They worked great after the plastic was sanded with 1000 grit and 1200 grit wet/dry. I don't think you'll need Novus 1 for drums; 2 and 3 ought to do it.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as guitars go, I do not think too many modern acoustic guitars under $1000 (or maybe under $2000) have nitro finishes. Most of the stuff I work on is sub-$1000 Asian stuff... Yamaha, Fender, Alvarez, Epiphone etc, and I never had a problem.

Novus 2 is actually pretty mild stuff. If you did not "get on it" too hard, and just did a light buff job I betcha it would be OK on nitro also.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I used it on some 1966 Ludwigs. I think it worked great, but you be the judge. BTW, when I bought them on CL, they had been in a garage for years and were a dull brown. A before and after photo

Attachments