Now THIS! Is the Great Gretsch Sound.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
These drums are maple/poplar shells. The great sound was maple/gum. This are more like the classic Ludwig sound.
In theory maybe.... I have owned three Ludwig sets. I wish I could have gotten that sound. It sounds distinctly Gretsch. Could be that their hoops, shell configuration, and bearing edges has a lot more to do with it than realized. But, who knows? Maybe its that "Ludwig great sound" that I like so much with these?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic sounding set up. I follow Anton on Instagram snd he no longer has anything in that video.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that kit sounds great.

And those cymbals, wow, they are very plush!

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
No offence but none of you would sound like him on that set, I am of the theory its not the drums but the drummer.
True... Back when Mars Music was in operation, I went to listen to a musician contest. There was a set of conga drums on stage and a series of players took their turn. One sounded dull and boring. The next player (same congas) made them "come alive!"

Carter Mclean would sound good behind that Gretsch set, too. But he would not sound the same as Anton Ollson. It will sound like Carter playing Gretsch drums with his own feel and touch.

You can have a bad drummer play any set and make them sound like poo-poo. And, have another drummer sit behind that same set and sound like great, be it, Ludwigs, Sonors, Yamahas, etc. Each set should have its signature sound unless over muffled, or processed.

Its the "flavor" that Gretsch mixes into its recipe that gives them that "taste.'

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
I've tried a brooklyn set in the same finish, except the kick was a 22. I came away very impressed by the tonal qualities of this kit. Anyone on the market for a newer Gretsch wouldn't leave much on the table soundwise versus it's more expensive sibblings. I admitedly shopped with my eyes as much as with my eyes, and that is partly why I got out of the shop with a Broadkaster. But had I shopped for a studio-only kit, The Brooklyn could've done 95% of the job for 60% of the money. Wich is a good equation for the money conscious folks out there.

For the record: I didn't sound anything like Anton Olson. Not even close :icon_e_biggrin:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anton is a great player with wonderful touch and finesse.

However, he has some videos up with him playing his Gretsch Catslinas and they don’t sound anywhere near as good, in my opinion.

A great player + a great set of drums= a great sound.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the Broadkaster and Brooklyn series drums as fine drums . The great Gretsch sound for me comes from the standard maple/gum shell with diecast hoops . It is a classic sound .
The last Gretsch kit I owned was purchased from a forum member that originally ordered the kit with 302 hoops . The drums just did not sound right with those hoops . I traded the 302 hoops for diecast hoops and there was the classic Gretsch sound .

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having owned 3-ply Luds in the past and currently two Gretsch kits (one RB-era and one USAC), I actually do think this kit leans a lot more toward the classic Gretsch sound. I hear more of that peak in the mids, clarity in the lows/mids and dynamic range that you find with Gretsch vs. the classic Ludwig low/mid-heavy "pillowy" sound. I was surprised, actually, having read through the comments first. Just how I hear it, of course.

Ang

Reaction score
I appreciate the Broadkaster and Brooklyn series drums as fine drums . The great Gretsch sound for me comes from the standard maple/him shell with diecast hoops . It is a classic sound .
The last Gretsch kit I owned was purchased from a forum member that originally ordered the kit with 302 hoops . The drums just did not sound right with those hoops . I traded the 302 hoops for diecast hoops and there was the classic Gretsch sound .
I have a set of Austin era Fibes with Jasper shells, I am thinking about putting die cast hoops on them and some thicker bass drum hoops. I really wanna love these drums but I find myself always gravitating back to my Pearl BRX with die cast hoops.
I think that the die cast may be the solution.