NPR's 50 Favorite Songs of 1971

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised going through this list, some really really good way-back stuff in here and a few things I didn't expect to see.

Worth the look and streaming all songs option (I think) on the bottom of the page.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a list, it's a good start. Thank goodness it's "favorites", not the usual Rolling Stone "Best" by imperious decree.
But 1971 was so rich that they're gonna need a bigger list.
The problem is that they restricted submissions to member stations.
If they had included submissions from other stations that have a NPR affiliation but are not member stations, then the year would have gotten the breadth and inclusion it deserves.
Then we would have gotten something from the Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore
Something from Pharoah Sanders' Thembi
Something from Yes's Fragile
Something from Tull's Aqualung
Something from EL&P's Tarkus
Something from Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame
And on and on ad infinitum. The year really was one landmark record after another.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaleidoscopic diversity out of the radio in 71 .

Strawberry Letter is deeply imprinted on the canyons of my mind . Wow its still there .

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my kids ask me if good music is likely to come from good times I tell them heck no.
Some of the greatest music ever made in this country was recorded during WWII and the Nixon administration.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
As a list, it's a good start. Thank goodness it's "favorites", not the usual Rolling Stone "Best" by imperious decree.
But 1971 was so rich that they're gonna need a bigger list.
The problem is that they restricted submissions to member stations.
If they had included submissions from other stations that have a NPR affiliation but are not member stations, then the year would have gotten the breadth and inclusion it deserves.
Then we would have gotten something from the Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore
Something from Pharoah Sanders' Thembi
Something from Yes's Fragile
Something from Tull's Aqualung
Something from EL&P's Tarkus
Something from Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame
And on and on ad infinitum. The year really was one landmark record after another.
Yeh, I like EVERYTHING (except for Country Road, which I'll grant a pass for the sentimentalists) on their list...and then I see yours, flowtom. Even more to add! It was kind of incredible, really. The wide range of genres and styles is staggering. And I do not go around saying "Old days were best/now is no good" at all. Since 1971, my tastes have expanded, and I have enjoyed tons of newer "choice quality stuff." But the year yielded incredible musical bounty. Arena rock was not yet upon us, so I guess the popular tastes were still attuned to the creativity that thoughtful musicians had been working on since the 60's. It was still in flower and being worked out.

I remember an MD interview, maybe with the late Ricky Lawson, who pointed out that when he was a young guy, he had a Mahavishnu 45! As he observed, "Imagine that there was a record industry that then would put out a Mahavishnu Orchestra 45 rpm record!" Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, eh?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kaleidoscopic diversity out of the radio in 71 .

Strawberry Letter is deeply imprinted on the canyons of my mind . Wow its still there .
Thank Jehovah for that, Bennyk! Heavy, cool, vital song, to be sure.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised going through this list, some really really good way-back stuff in here and a few things I didn't expect to see.

Worth the look and streaming all songs option (I think) on the bottom of the page.

I saw Gil Scott in Virginia. The drummer passed out on the drums and the trumpet-player took over for the last three tunes. He was good! Concert went on like nothing happened. True professionals.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usual despise lists, but I love the research that was done on this one. Tons of hidden gems among the classics! A little weird that the Meters weren't mentioned under Allen Toussaint's production credits, But the Lee Dorsey track is amazing (and probably most of the Meters are backing him).

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Has anyone noticed Squirrel and Vistalite have never been seen together?