O.T.-Bluetooth Speakers

lamartee

Reaction score
Any recommendations? $200.00-$250.00 range. Looking for Clarity, Richness and Volume. Will be used outside, wont be left in the weather and can be plugged in for power. I figure I can't go wrong with Bose or JBL. Wondering if the Marshalls sound as good as they look. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Marty

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a person on here selling a pair of Denons at a great price. You will likely not find anything better sounding for that kind of $.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but bad about BOSE ,and my JBL bluetooth speaker has way too much low end ..YUKK ..

debotcher

Reaction score
I have 2 JBL Charge 4 speakers & I'm happy with them. They go for about 130.00 each. I don't have any issues with too much low end. Regardless, if you control them with your android phone you can alter the EQ with the Samsung Music app. Also, you can download the JBL Connect app & set 2 speakers up to play in stereo, way better sounding than just one speaker.
Setting them up is a little tricky so if you go this route let me know. I's be glad to help.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
UE Megaboom has good sound & they advertise them as at least water resistant, if not water proof. I didn't realize I left in on a couple days ago on the first floor, and I went to play something on my phone upstairs. It still sounded good through the floor. i though I've read a few other good reviews for them on here.

I also have a Big Blue Party. It's the loudest blue tooth speaker I've heard, and also the heaviest.

I got them both for free, so I'll make you look up the price.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
UE Megaboom. Good sound, durable, reliable. The Bose I tried had better bass, but I passed due to a large price difference.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
We have a UE Megaboom, a JBL Flip 4 and a JBL Flip 5... they all sound ok to me, and they all get used a lot.

Browny

Reaction score
I've got a Samsung R5 that's really good. Has options for Bluetooth and WIFI connectivity (as well as TV sound?). The Wifi connection works great (better quality and none of that Bluetooth line interference) as long as you don't use Apple Music... the bastards at Samsung seemingly blocked it from working. Spotify works but I'm not a fan of it so I'm stuck with a purely Bluetooth connection...

I also picked up a cheap (Logictech?) Bluetooth receiver that I connect to my amp so my big analogue system for the turntable can also run Apple music.

lamartee

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. Never really considered a "tech" brand ("UE" etc.) Figured I should be considering audio company products but I will absolutely open my mind (and ears) to anything.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you planning to leave it set up, such as in a permanent covered patio location where rain can't get to it?

If that's the case and you don't need it to be portable, then maybe using a traditional stereo system with outdoor speakers, along with a simple bluetooth adapter could be the answer. You can have more speakers in different locations. In my tiki bar pool patio I have 8 outdoor speakers, mostly JBL, spaced around the patio, pool, and driveway. They're powered by two vintage Kenwood stereo amps. I have a vintage stereo graphic equalizer to get the sound I want, and a compressor/limiter to equalize the volume between songs. A push-button switcher allows me to switch the audio source from bluetooth to TV if I want to. The bluetooth adapter is this one that I ordered from Amazon, and it's the easiest bluetooth connection I've experienced: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3GTRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound is amazing and it covers a lot of real estate with individual speaker control. Most of the components can be bought cheap used, and added onto as you wish. If you need it to be portable, then never mind.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have the Bose Revolve Plus, and I love it. The app is finicky; I just use the manual settings to pair two in stereo. I wanted the best sound, and Bose has it. I've had UE Megaboom in the past - they sounded good, but not nearly as good as the Bose. The app is much better, though.

lamartee

Reaction score
Are you planning to leave it set up, such as in a permanent covered patio location where rain can't get to it?

If that's the case and you don't need it to be portable, then maybe using a traditional stereo system with outdoor speakers, along with a simple bluetooth adapter could be the answer. You can have more speakers in different locations. In my tiki bar pool patio I have 8 outdoor speakers, mostly JBL, spaced around the patio, pool, and driveway. They're powered by two vintage Kenwood stereo amps. I have a vintage stereo graphic equalizer to get the sound I want, and a compressor/limiter to equalize the volume between songs. A push-button switcher allows me to switch the audio source from bluetooth to TV if I want to. The bluetooth adapter is this one that I ordered from Amazon, and it's the easiest bluetooth connection I've experienced: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3GTRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound is amazing and it covers a lot of real estate with individual speaker control. Most of the components can be bought cheap used, and added onto as you wish. If you need it to be portable, then never mind.
Yep, Gonna do it up right next season with a set-up similar to what you are describing. Just looking for something quick and easy for now.
Thanks

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, Gonna do it up right next season with a set-up similar to what you are describing. Just looking for something quick and easy for now.
Thanks
Sounds great!

I understand you're wanting a dedicated bluetooth speaker for now, and there's nothing wrong with that! I have a couple myself, and I like them for what they are. Just remember to check into the bluetooth adapter option when you're ready to go into a larger direction. I have a friend who spent over 5 times what I've spent on my tiki bar and pool system and he told me he wishes he had something more like mine. If you've already got a great-sounding non-bluetooth system with stereo aux inputs, then you can spend less than $30 on the bluetooth adapter and you'll have as good or better sound than spending your whole $250 budget. Plus it would be expandable from there with either new or used gear as you want to add to it.

Anyway, have fun with it! I don't know what I ever did before without bluetooth.

lamartee

Reaction score
Thanks, Bluetooth speakers outside and the source and power inside will be the route I am going.
(FYI- The Marshall "Kilburn II" speaker I ordered will be here tomorrow. At the low end of my budget and most reviews say it's the real deal. I'll find out tomorrow.
Thanks,
Marty

Latest posts