O.T. Customized Die Cast Cars (i.e. Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc.)

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Through an innocuous search, Muncle Mike’s has started to get some of my money. I have thus far gotten a Porsche race car (917 I believe) and an ‘87 C10, but another prototype style race car is joining the fleet and I have a funny feeling this is going to continue.

Muncle Mike’s sells rubber tires and cool aftermarket wheels to throw onto your creations as well as sells polished versions and tells you how to polish them yourself. It’s kinda dopey, especially since you can go buy your own, take them apart and do the same thing, but it’s cool that you have a clearinghouse for parts and other stuff to make your own 1/64 scale cars.
Any other 1/64 car customizers?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a kid, I wanted to be an auto designer. I used to buy Hot Wheels and Matchboxes (mostly Ferrari's, Lambos, and Porsches, especially 911's), would strip them, swap wheels, and repaint them with nail polish. I'd then fabricate wings, spoilers, etc. out of paper, glue, etc. and add them. It was a lot of fun and made every one "custom". I obviously grew out of it but I still have a collection of probably 100+ cars (all opened and played with! - not just in the box). My dream was to be a 911 designer. I ended up bailing on the designer dream, but I still am a huge car guy........

I checked out the site - some looked cool - good for him!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Not seen it but I got a feeling this Hotwheels thing is going to cost me a couple grand. Particularly the color changing ones. We got my son some for Christmas. The cars not so much as the tracks designed for 8yo boys to have an excuse to play with water on hardwood floors and not just at the bathroom sink.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures please guys.

I was thrilled when a few years back Hot Wheels rolled out the Datsun 2000 (in a few colors). I've known a few Datsun Roadster owners who got the cars and removed the HW's hard top...make them the brilliant convertibles they are.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pictures please guys.

I was thrilled when a few years back Hot Wheels rolled out the Datsun 2000 (in a few colors). I've known a few Datsun Roadster owners who got the cars and removed the HW's hard top...make them the brilliant convertibles they are.
I need the perfect backdrop to photograph. Give me a bit...

Reactions: dtk

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just recently got back into my HO slot car hobby. Now I am addicted again. :( These little cars just take me back to my youth.
We loved those. Put small grain of wheat lights on them one weekend for a 24 hours of Lemans in the dark basement. The only problem was when they came off the track they were hard to find in the dark.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, boy did you hit a soft spot with me! I started playing drum at age 7, but I was playing with toy cars several years before that! While I have never considered music a hobby (it has been either a vocation or a Bi-vocation over my entire adult life, it's simply a part of my existence as much as breathing) I HAVE considered all forms of motorsports my only real hobby... and for the most part that is built around toy cars.

I have collected different scales and themes of die-cast cars for well over 50 years, amassing and selling several large collections (I have sold over 50,000 cars at a time... twice!) But collecting and maintaining series specific motorsports replicas has always been the bedrock of my collection. I've pared down my personal collection over the past 10 years to maybe just 500 or 600 cars, but they are pretty specific to racing series that I have always loved and followed. I am passionate about endurance racing so I maintain a nice collection of 24 Hour of Le Mans cars as well as several series from the USA including the Daytona 24, 12 Hours of Sebring, IMSA road racing cars, Trans-AM series and Super Stock / Pro Stock drag cars or specific drivers like Dan Gurney or Mark Donohue. While off the shelf replicas are always available (and I try to keep up with all those), as my topics are so specific, it gives me a great opportunity to do a lot of customizing to keep the collection growing.

For a while I was pretty involved in custom packaging for other builder as well as building diorama (again, mostly for other customizers) but I have not been involved in that side for probably 8 to 10 years (just ran out of time) but I still LOVE to custom build my racing replicas! Here are a few from the past couple years. All the cars are in my den or man cave in clear wall cases and I never fail to enjoy just standing and looking at them.

I come and go in waves of customizing based on time. I might do 4 or 5 replicas in a 6 month period and then not touch them for the next six. It's all about the available time as I never run out of ideas or castings. I work exclusively in 1:64 scale (hot wheels size) and look forward to retirement one day to have more time for playing with toy cars!

I was a HUGE John Greenwood fan in the 1970'd so here is my current Greenwood collection (all but one are custom built)

DSC02432 copy copy.jpg

As a Can-AM fan from the 1960=s and 70's I HAD to restore these two old Hot Wheels M6A Can AM cars back into the replicas they were meant to be... the 1967 championship winning cars of Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme.

DSCN5850 copy.jpg

DSC00857 copy.jpg

And I mentioned I have always been Door Slammer drag racing fan, so I had no choice but to take this Johnny Lightning Pinto and transform it into Bob Glidden's 1972 Pro Stock Pinto!

DSC02354 copy.jpg

DSC02464no copy.jpg

A Dan Gurney Stocker...

DSCN5460 copy.jpg

And a couple of custom packaging and dioramas Ive done...

DSCN6136 copy.jpg

DSCN7036.JPG

DSCN7031.JPG

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK, boy did you hit a soft spot with me! I started playing drum at age 7, but I was playing with toy cars several years before that! While I have never considered music a hobby (it has been either a vocation or a Bi-vocation over my entire adult life, it's simply a part of my existence as much as breathing) I HAVE considered all forms of motorsports my only real hobby... and for the most part that is built around toy cars.

I have collected different scales and themes of die-cast cars for well over 50 years, amassing and selling several large collections (I have sold over 50,000 cars at a time... twice!) But collecting and maintaining series specific motorsports replicas has always been the bedrock of my collection. I've pared down my personal collection over the past 10 years to maybe just 500 or 600 cars, but they are pretty specific to racing series that I have always loved and followed. I am passionate about endurance racing so I maintain a nice collection of 24 Hour of Le Mans cars as well as several series from the USA including the Daytona 24, 12 Hours of Sebring, IMSA road racing cars, Trans-AM series and Super Stock / Pro Stock drag cars or specific drivers like Dan Gurney or Mark Donohue. While off the shelf replicas are always available (and I try to keep up with all those), as my topics are so specific, it gives me a great opportunity to do a lot of customizing to keep the collection growing.

For a while I was pretty involved in custom packaging for other builder as well as building diorama (again, mostly for other customizers) but I have not been involved in that side for probably 8 to 10 years (just ran out of time) but I still LOVE to custom build my racing replicas! Here are a few from the past couple years. All the cars are in my den or man cave in clear wall cases and I never fail to enjoy just standing and looking at them.

I come and go in waves of customizing based on time. I might do 4 or 5 replicas in a 6 month period and then not touch them for the next six. It's all about the available time as I never run out of ideas or castings. I work exclusively in 1:64 scale (hot wheels size) and look forward to retirement one day to have more time for playing with toy cars!

I was a HUGE John Greenwood fan in the 1970'd so here is my current Greenwood collection (all but one are custom built)

View attachment 479794

As a Can-AM fan from the 1960=s and 70's I HAD to restore these two old Hot Wheels M6A Can AM cars back into the replicas they were meant to be... the 1967 championship winning cars of Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme.

View attachment 479797

View attachment 479798

And I mentioned I have always been Door Slammer drag racing fan, so I had no choice but to take this Johnny Lightning Pinto and transform it into Bob Glidden's 1972 Pro Stock Pinto!

View attachment 479795

View attachment 479796

A Dan Gurney Stocker...

View attachment 479802

And a couple of custom packaging and dioramas Ive done...

View attachment 479801

View attachment 479800

View attachment 479803
Wow. Where do I even begin?!?
That is some SERIOUSLY AWESOME stuff there! My stuff is pretty lame and tame compared to yours!

I was going to paint my Porsche Tiffany Blue to go with the bicycle frame and fork I had redone for my wife’s Christmas present. The paint turned out downright terrible, so the car paint was removed. I didn’t remove all of it, so it looks like some weird patina now. It looks cool in a weird way, though I may pop it apart and make it look more of what I intended. It’s a project in progress.

The C10 will get new wheels and I want to paint a patina paint job like I saw on a car customizer TV show.

No idea what the prototype car will become. But I bought rubber tires and cool rims as that really makes a difference.
29F6EDCC-500A-431E-B658-76713DECBE86.jpeg
517555A8-5340-4EF9-A545-841C18F06213.jpeg

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, and I responded with a joke.

Maybe it was that thread that got into my search algorithm. Don’t know. Literally from nowhere, Munkle Mike’s came up and I clicked, then I was hooked! The funniest thing is, I really don’t have interest in collecting intact and unmolested Hot Wheels, Matchbox or Johnny Lightning, but customizing them is a totally different thing for me. I did just buy my first bargain bin car, which has not been taken apart or stripped of its paint. I may just start picking them up wherever I go and buy a mess of wheels (until I find the source) from Muncle Mike’s.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Where do I even begin?!?
That is some SERIOUSLY AWESOME stuff there! My stuff is pretty lame and tame compared to yours!

I was going to paint my Porsche Tiffany Blue to go with the bicycle frame and fork I had redone for my wife’s Christmas present. The paint turned out downright terrible, so the car paint was removed. I didn’t remove all of it, so it looks like some weird patina now. It looks cool in a weird way, though I may pop it apart and make it look more of what I intended. It’s a project in progress.

The C10 will get new wheels and I want to paint a patina paint job like I saw on a car customizer TV show.

No idea what the prototype car will become. But I bought rubber tires and cool rims as that really makes a difference. View attachment 479808 View attachment 479809

I'm loving the casting choices! I'm currently working on that EXACT same Hot Wheels 917 LH casting myself! And man, do I hear you about stripping and repainting... while I do have an air brush I love the challenge of painting with rattle cans and Ive stripped cars and started over 5 and 6 times! And I love the wheels and tire choices.. nothing changes a car faster than the tires / wheels! Cant wait to see yours finished!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm loving the casting choices! I'm currently working on that EXACT same Hot Wheels 917 LH casting myself! And man, do I hear you about stripping and repainting... while I do have an air brush I love the challenge of painting with rattle cans and Ive stripped cars and started over 5 and 6 times! And I love the wheels and tire choices.. nothing changes a car faster than the tires / wheels! Cant wait to see yours finished!
I may go with a Gulf theme. I always loved that paint.