O.T. Did the CIA Write a Hit Song for the Scorpions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Whether the CIA had a hand in creating the power ballad “Wind of Change” is an intriguing question.

It became a top hit in several European countries in 1990, but did it accelerate the end of the U.S.S.R.?

Last edited:

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Well, Micheal Schenker was a member, and he did write a song with the line "You're like a nuclear division coming at me from all sides" in the song 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

That's obviously a cleverly coded post-cold war allusion.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I came across a similar thing involving the CIA and the ousting of DLR from Van Halen .

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
The conspiracy theorist nut jobs will love this one.
I learned a very valuable lesson a decade ago. I was discussing a conspiratorial topic with my niece over dinner. Her uncle, my brother in law, by all objective measures a very intelligent, successful man, injected himself into the conversation and stated; don’t tell me you believe that nonsense, come on, give me a break, you’re smarter than that.

To that I said; really, well, what do you know about it? Excuse me, he said. Mind you, everyone at the restaurant table is looking. I repeated, what do you know about it, specifically, what are your thoughts on this aspect or that per se.

I immediately saw on his face that he knew he was trapped. He knew nothing, could not even speak to the fundamentals of the event.

He attempted to get out of this undesirable position using the most obvious of sophistry and I let him because for the most part I like the man but that incident seared itself into my brain. A seemingly intelligent individual will often emphatically state an opinion on something they know nothing about just to defend the current dogma and prevailing orthodoxy.

From that point forward I have used that technique in several forms when discussing a topic with a dissenter or in just outright savage debate. For example, are you familiar the Iran/Contra scandal? Yes. Ok, please tell me what you know about it, specifically; what was Iran’s role. Crickets...... over and over again this happens. That simple face to face question, a quick turning of the tables exposes them immediately.

I mention this all because I'm curious what you know about this topic bellbrass, the 8 part investigative podcast airs today. Have you listened to it already, digested the information and prepared to discuss it intelligently? I am interested in your thoughts.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I came across a similar thing involving the CIA and the ousting of DLR from Van Halen .
Wasn't sure if you were joking, but this was in/on The Onion a few years ago...For those that don't know, The Onion is a satirical "news organization". Entertainment purposes only and they're great! Thanks for reminding me of this...

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
My problem with conspiracy theories is that any decent effort is usually couched in a sort of Russian doll construct, where one begets another and another and ... all of them working to either discredit or legitimatize one or more of the other dolls within or outside the current theory to the point that the thrust of the originating conspiracy is lost in whataboutism and winning that conversation on any given day. Which I'd say is a secondary attribute of any good conspiracy.

And so the point of it all within internet circles, it seems to me, is to create battle lines so one combatant can brand the other ignorant of one or more of the dolls because they may know more about that doll than their enemy does within any thread. Or maybe they google better. The point being that winding people up emotionally over a conspiracy makes them unwitting ventriloquist dummies blathering to no one's benefit other than who or what was behind compelling a named conspiracy to begin with.

This isn't to say that any of the events contained within conspiracies never occurred, it's to say that leveraging human beings' need to self-validate negates a lot of hard work in covering something up.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the article from the Onion where they said that the US government intentionally allowed a community of African Americans in Macon Co. Georgia live\go blind\die\infect others with Syphilis, (even after a cure had been discovered) so they could monitor the effects of the disease....

That was some great ‘satire’ indeed.

Oh.....wait....

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird coincidence here, I was just thinking about the Moscow Music Peace festival this morning, no idea why. I remember taping the whole thing from the radio when I was kid.

The Berlin Wall was agreed to come down in 89 and the demolition started in july of 90. It was completed in Nov of 91. Winds of Change was released in 90, after the wall had already been scheduled for demolition. The wall coming down was the catalyst for the rest of the fall of the USSR.

I remember in '94 my highschool girlfriend was part of the foreign exchange program with then unified Germany and her family was a host family. The West German kids (they were all between 16-18 spoke English really well and had many of the same pop culture references as we did but the East German kids didn't speak English as well and had a much narrower scope of pop culture knowledge, they did, however, know 2 things almost to the kid, they knew the Scorpions and they knew Mtv.

So, if the CIA did plant a song with the Scorpions, they were late to the game. But, I do think music, and particularly MTV played a large part in the deterioration of the USSR and the Eastern Block. The Scorpions in particular were extremely popular in those areas and they kept pushing for concerts in those areas. Word travels.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Weird coincidence here, I was just thinking about the Moscow Music Peace festival this morning, no idea why. I remember taping the whole thing from the radio when I was kid.

The Berlin Wall was agreed to come down in 89 and the demolition started in july of 90. It was completed in Nov of 91. Winds of Change was released in 90, after the wall had already been scheduled for demolition. The wall coming down was the catalyst for the rest of the fall of the USSR.

I remember in '94 my highschool girlfriend was part of the foreign exchange program with then unified Germany and her family was a host family. The West German kids (they were all between 16-18 spoke English really well and had many of the same pop culture references as we did but the East German kids didn't speak English as well and had a much narrower scope of pop culture knowledge, they did, however, know 2 things almost to the kid, they knew the Scorpions and they knew Mtv.

So, if the CIA did plant a song with the Scorpions, they were late to the game. But, I do think music, and particularly MTV played a large part in the deterioration of the USSR and the Eastern Block. The Scorpions in particular were extremely popular in those areas and they kept pushing for concerts in those areas. Word travels.
Was it late or right on time? From Wikipedia: "Wind of Change" was released in January 1991 and became a worldwide hit, just after the failed coup that would eventually lead to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

That U.S.S.R. collapse occurred in December 1991.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I learned a very valuable lesson a decade ago. I was discussing a conspiratorial topic with my niece over dinner. Her uncle, my brother in law, by all objective measures a very intelligent, successful man, injected himself into the conversation and stated; don’t tell me you believe that nonsense, come on, give me a break, you’re smarter than that.

To that I said; really, well, what do you know about it? Excuse me, he said. Mind you, everyone at the restaurant table is looking. I repeated, what do you know about it, specifically, what are your thoughts on this aspect or that per se.

I immediately saw on his face that he knew he was trapped. He knew nothing, could not even speak to the fundamentals of the event.

He attempted to get out of this undesirable position using the most obvious of sophistry and I let him because for the most part I like the man but that incident seared itself into my brain. A seemingly intelligent individual will often emphatically state an opinion on something they know nothing about just to defend the current dogma and prevailing orthodoxy.

From that point forward I have used that technique in several forms when discussing a topic with a dissenter or in just outright savage debate. For example, are you familiar the Iran/Contra scandal? Yes. Ok, please tell me what you know about it, specifically; what was Iran’s role. Crickets...... over and over again this happens. That simple face to face question, a quick turning of the tables exposes them immediately.

I mention this all because I'm curious what you know about this topic bellbrass, the 8 part investigative podcast airs today. Have you listened to it already, digested the information and prepared to discuss it intelligently? I am interested in your thoughts.
We need that private thread that you suggested Nacci, ASAP!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Big Ben shut it down and put me on notice so that won’t happen but feel free to reach out if you ever care to talk.
Boo hiss.

Really sorry, man. I thought that sounded like a very intelligent idea which would circumvent any redtape and keep everybody happy. I was really looking forward to it.

Sorry to hear it was shut down wholesale. Thanks for trying.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Free market liberal democracy triumphed over communism .

Some people won't/can't accept that and have been whining about it ever since .

This is their inalienable right .

Was Nina Hagen a Stasi creation ? Who cares , the good guys won .

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Free market liberal democracy triumphed over communism .

Some people won't/can't accept that and have been whining about it ever since .

This is their inalienable right .

Was Nina Hagen a Stasi creation ? Who cares , the good guys won .
Benny, allow me to preface this comment by saying I both like and respect you but, when the Federal Reserve and US Treasury continually have to “Bail Out” Wall Street and it’s dispart institutions to the tune of trillions how does one even say Free Market without doubling over and busting in laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.