O.T.: Director of Punishingly Long "Hobbit" Films Readies Marathon Beatles Series

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Responding to the decades-long shortage of documentaries about the Beatles, Peter Jackson is preparing a six-hour hagiography about the Fab Four that will air on Disney + over Thanksgiving.

You probably remember Jackson for expanding "The Hobbit" to more than six hours by injecting lots of neat new storylines like mountains fighting with one another.

Can't wait to tell my family to keep the Turkey in the oven for two more hours so I can watch the latest from the Wonderful World of Disney.

I haven't been this excited since "Beatlemania" opened at the Winter Garden Theater in 1977.

From Deadline:
Peter Jackson’s ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ Six-Hour Doc Set For Three-Day Thanksgiving Debut On Disney+

Director Peter Jackson’s long-in-the-making Beatles documentary will debut in three two-hour episodes over three days – November 25, 26 and 27 – exclusively on Disney+.

The Walt Disney Studios, Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd. announced the dates for The Beatles: Get Back, a Disney+ Original documentary series directed by Jackson that Disney says features a “wealth of tremendous footage Peter Jackson has reviewed, which he has spent the past three years restoring and editing..”

“As a huge Beatles fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that Disney+ will be the home for this extraordinary documentary series by the legendary filmmaker Peter Jackson,” said Bob Iger, Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “This phenomenal collection of never-before-seen footage offers an unprecedented look at the close camaraderie, genius songwriting, and indelible impact of one of the most iconic and culturally influential bands of all time, and we can’t wait to share The Beatles: Get Back with fans around the world.”

Said Jackson, “In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines. The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia – it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible.”

He added, “I’m very grateful to The Beatles, Apple Corps and Disney for allowing me to present this story in exactly the way it should be told. I’ve been immersed in this project for nearly three years, and I’m very excited that audiences around the world will finally be able to see it.”

The Beatles: Get Back takes audiences back in time to the band’s intimate recording sessions during a pivotal moment in music history. The documentary was compiled from over 60 hours of previously unseen footage shot in January 1969 by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and more than 150 hours of unheard audio, all of which has been restored.

Jackson is the only person in 50 years to have been given access to these private film archives. The Beatles: Get Back chronicles John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they plan their first live show in over two years – what would be the famous rooftop performance – capturing the writing and rehearsing of 14 new songs originally intended for release on an accompanying live album.

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in very little that comes out of Hollywood because most of it is too "Hollywooded" up.

I didn't and won't see that movie about Queen that was out some years back. Saw bits and pieces of it - zero interest in Hollywood's version of stuff like this.

Since high school I've been a huge JRRTolkien fan. D&D geek, loved that genre. Read all his books many times over. When the movies came out me and my like-minded buddy and our wives went to see them on opening night. I was horrified at how badly those movies portrayed the actual story.

No thanks, Hollywood can keep it.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there other humans like you ; ?
where?
I am a big fan of Paul McCartneys solo work !
Does that redeem my sorry soul ??

I do really love some Beatles songs .
Just never been a big fan is all .
I grew up on 70s Am POP …

My Jr High years were KISS , until the fateful day my Uncle played me REO Speedwagon Live You Get What You Play For and then Molly Hatchets debut on a trip from Gower to KC …
Then I found Rush and Black Sabbath And Kansas and The Who in HS

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How far away did the Beatles group members live from Fripp, Giles, Lake the King Crimson members.
I guess King Crimson were a little bit (not Giles) younger.
I liked the almost Gothic (pun steely dan song) England King Crimson portrayed.
Possibly best. Lake screeching out that " Cat's Foot..."

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in very little that comes out of Hollywood because most of it is too "Hollywooded" up.

I didn't and won't see that movie about Queen that was out some years back. Saw bits and pieces of it - zero interest in Hollywood's version of stuff like this.

Since high school I've been a huge JRRTolkien fan. D&D geek, loved that genre. Read all his books many times over. When the movies came out me and my like-minded buddy and our wives went to see them on opening night. I was horrified at how badly those movies portrayed the actual story.

No thanks, Hollywood can keep it.
Want some Hollywierd stories, I got a few of them!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping for a good film. The RingTrilogy was well done except the final battle scene before the Gates of Mordor. The second Hobbit film was awful and by awful I mean the second half had nothing to do with the book.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Cat's foot...Iron Claw.. neurosurgeons Scream for more....."
nothing he's got he really needs..

lol!!