O.T.: Director of Punishingly Long "Hobbit" Films Readies Marathon Beatles Series

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If The Documentary portrays the extraordinary songwriting brilliance of Lennon & McCartney, then I’m in. If this is about the music industry crap on the Beatles, America’s Teeny Bopper Love Affair with them and how Yoko broke up the Beatles, then it will be one big yawn for me.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a Beatles fan but I have the utmost respect for them. I’ll check it out!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently enough boomers will have survived the pandemic to justify the cost of this documentary . If the Eye of Sauron approves its content , maybe PBS will broadcast it for one of its fundraisers .

tbird8450

Reaction score
You probably remember Jackson for expanding "The Hobbit" to more than six hours by injecting lots of neat new storylines like mountains fighting with one another.
Funnily enough, that part was actually in the book - sort of. Jackson just dragged it out from a couple brief lines and turned it into five minutes of pointless SFX.

I adore the LoTR movies, but while the Hobbit films have their moments, they were insanely bloated with nonsense. They could have easily been edited down into one excellent film (yes, I know there are fan cuts - but there didn't need to be).

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty Bored of The Rings by the time Mr. Jackson was finished ruining it.

Let us hope that he does not get too carried away with the CGI, otherwise we will end up a 175 foot tall Ringo as a dwarf made of molten gold or a three hour version of Hey Jude.

Vicey

Reaction score
I am looking forward to a Meet The Beatles from the guy who brought you Meet the Feebles.
Seriously, though, the Hobbit trilogy was clearly the efforts of a man who did not want to be making the movies he was making. I think this documentary will be an actual labor of love.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, I didn't know Disney got to the Beatles, too...........it was bad enough seeing Star Wars on every possible item ever made!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
The director is based in New Zealand and the subject matter is a British band.
So only a British director would be qualified to make a Beatles doc??? Please tell me you're kidding? Or is VB's cynicism just that contagious?

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Evidently enough boomers will have survived the pandemic to justify the cost of this documentary . If the Eye of Sauron approves its content , maybe PBS will broadcast it for one of its fundraisers .
Oh my Benny - you believe only boomers are interested in the Beatles?? The Beatles was top selling artist across the board rock band in the first half of 2020 - and boomers are driving this? Why? We already own all of that music

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
I am looking forward to a Meet The Beatles from the guy who brought you Meet the Feebles.
Seriously, though, the Hobbit trilogy was clearly the efforts of a man who did not want to be making the movies he was making. I think this documentary will be an actual labor of love.
Oh, I think he very much wanted to make those movies - probably a little too much. He was hit with the same syndrome that nailed George Lucas - create a classic movie trilogy adored by millions, become an instant celebrity, receive unfathomable mountains of money to try it again, and throw all restraint to the winds. It's like handing a little kid your credit card. Oh, they'll have a blast, but you probably won't like the results.

flatwins

Reaction score
I never tried to read the Lord of the Rings books because I knew I’d never be able to finish them. Saw the movies in the theaters and that was difficult in itself. For some reason my ex and I bought the DVDs. Why?!? There is no way I would have enough patience to sit and watch 3+ hours (or at least it seemed like it) of battle scenes where some mythical creatures battled other mythical creatures for the 17th time.

I like most of the Beatles stuff but probably won’t watch the new documentary.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh my Benny - you believe only boomers are interested in the Beatles?? The Beatles was top selling artist across the board in the first half of 2020 - and boomers are driving this? Why? We already own all of that music
Thanks Dave, I wasn't aware of this .

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
What are you measuring? I don’t see the Beatles among the top acts in streaming or album sales in 2020.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like and respect the hell out of the band, and while they aren't one of my top favorites, I definitely will be checking this out.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a boomer, a Beatle lover and I'm excited to see it.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
So only a British director would be qualified to make a Beatles doc??? Please tell me you're kidding? Or is VB's cynicism just that contagious?
He was responding to the comment by Squirrel Man about it being ruined by Hollywood taking creative license.

Reactions: JDA