O.T. Firing a Client... (long post warning)

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
This is everywhere. I raised 2 children and I can remember some of the nutty parents I would talk to at Little League Baseball, Youth Basketball and Soccer games. These parents were so driving on 6, 7 and 8 year olds it would make me sad for their child. They would tell me things like their son was going to play for The Yankees, or get a University Scholarship in Sports or make The Olympics. And in drumming, their kid was going to be the next Buddy Rich. Let em speak and let time and evolution do the work. It's good to have dreams of being the next Buddy Rich, but is this your dream or really the hungry desire of your child? If the child is determined to play, they will find a way with or without you.
I've experienced a tiny bit of that, but mainly it's been talented, smart kids with parents who don't pay me on time and/or consistently screw up appointments. I had one particularly talented student who went off to college with his mom (who always had an expensive tan and a more expensive purse) owing $400. I wrote it off as charity lessons but I was surprised when the doorbell rang almost a year later and she handed me $400 cash. Getting the cash that way felt a lot better than chasing after her for it. But not everybody has a frugality ethic that allows for living at least a year in advance. I can afford to wait for money owed. I know other contractors need it right away to keep the lights on, so my approach isn't universally effective.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've experienced a tiny bit of that, but mainly it's been talented, smart kids with parents who don't pay me on time and/or consistently screw up appointments. I had one particularly talented student who went off to college with his mom (who always had an expensive tan and a more expensive purse) owing $400. I wrote it off as charity lessons but I was surprised when the doorbell rang almost a year later and she handed me $400 cash. Getting the cash that way felt a lot better than chasing after her for it. But not everybody has a frugality ethic that allows for living at least a year in advance. I can afford to wait for money owed. I know other contractors need it right away to keep the lights on, so my approach isn't universally effective.
Why didn't you hit her up for late payment charges? I got fired from a job and was able to live off my savings for more than the two years it took to get my grievance settled. I was spending 8-10 hours a day behind the drums. Caught up on all my reading, did some volunteer time at the food bank too. I wasn't about to stiff the taxpayer for welfare and unemployment either. I knew I had my case won from the very beginning. I got paid for all the time off plus 70% punitive and 30% additional on the overtime loss. Six people were fired for their actions against me. RICO took everything they had including their homes and pensions. Four of those went to prison for doctoring Government records and expenditures. Thankyou, Mr. Trump! Almost three years of pay without having to work! Nice!

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Why didn't you hit her up for late payment charges? I got fired from a job and was able to live off my savings for more than the two years it took to get my grievance settled. I was spending 8-10 hours a day behind the drums. Caught up on all my reading, did some volunteer time at the food bank too. I wasn't about to stiff the taxpayer for welfare and unemployment either. I knew I had my case won from the very beginning. I got paid for all the time off plus 70% punitive and 30% additional on the overtime loss. Six people were fired for their actions against me. RICO took everything they had including their homes and pensions. Four of those went to prison for doctoring Government records and expenditures. Thankyou, Mr. Trump! Almost three years of pay without having to work! Nice!
I'm not talking about a career loss here. I'm talking about $400 from a pleasant semi-disaster with holes in her pockets. The sledgehammer the law provides for people in serious situations isn't appropriate for tapping in that one finishing nail poking out 1/128th of an inch.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a career loss here. I'm talking about $400 from a pleasant semi-disaster with holes in her pockets. The sledgehammer the law provides for people in serious situations isn't appropriate for tapping in that one finishing nail poking out 1/128th of an inch.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should've put an LOL after the first sentence, I'm rotten! I hear you loud and clear. I too have let a few payments slide because many times the kid loses out. Excuse my indifference. You're a good guy and I salute you.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Update: she did not barge in unannounced. Since I rent a spot in the back of a retail location, I felt it was right to let the employees who work up front know what’s going on. I told them the name, they asked who? I then describe and the answer: “that (slur word) with the monotone voice who used to bring her dogs in? She’s super annoying and would hang out whilst you were trying to clean up for the next client. What did she do this time?!?” One person suggested that she may just show up for her next appointment. The general consensus was good riddance.

Her vibes certainly would cast a pall over the entire environment. Now I definitely know it. Until I know that she is gone forever, there will a bit of trepidation. But I know I made the right call.

Last edited: