O.T. Help Save A Neighborhood Firehouse -

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hi All,

My son is a New York City firefighter. After 911 he became a volunteer fire fighter at a house in his old neighborhood in Rockaway, Queens. Four years later he -aced- the NYFD dept. exam and became a rookie firefighter with the Beekman Street Tigers (Engine 6) in lower Manhattan. The Beekman Tigers lost more men on 911 than any other fire house in the city. My son replaced one of those men on the job.

A couple of years ago, in order to be closer to home and his family, he transferred to a neighborhood firehouse in Woodhaven, Queens. (Where my son, James grew up.) Back in the 90's the city chose to close the house as part of budget cuts to the dept. After several deaths by fire, including two small children, the house was re-opened two years later.

Now, the city plans to close it yet again. Apparently the painful lessons imparted in the 90's by people who paid with their lives, is lost on these number crunching jokers. Human life is secondary to the bottom line for men such as them. Here is a brief article about it:

http://wrba.wordpres...ave-engine-294/

Please, if you live in or near to New York City, show your support to the good people of this neighborhood as well as to the fire fighters who put their lives on the line each and every day on their behalf. And too, to save an old and much loved landmark fire house from being closed unnecessarily. My son works there. He loves the guys he works with and they all, to a man, dearly love that old house. You have to see all that they've done to spruce up the place for themselves. Gardens in the back, a gymnasium the guys put together, the games that some of the men made, one example being a foosball table my son made (James is also a master carpenter!) that looks identical to the engine that he drives! This is a great bunch of young men. They deserve any support that we can show them. Please attend if you can. Lend support just by showing up.

To anyone who gets involved, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Save Engine 294 - The- Woodhaven neighborhood fire house!

John

Thwack

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John-

My daughter lives in Manhattan. I'll pass this along to her.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
john

its crazy the things we waste money on and then yet attempt to eliminate postive things that we need like this. i hope that it all works out. you should be very proud of your son for what he does...i'm sure you are.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
John-

My daughter lives in Manhattan. I'll pass this along to her.
Good man, thank you.

> [font="tahoma][size="2"]you should be very proud of your son for what he does...[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="2"]
[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma][size="2"]"What he does" scares the hell out of me. But he loves it. James is 6'2,' all muscle, not an ounce of fat on him and just the guy you want to show up if you need to be carried out of someplace. He is one of the very few fearless people I have ever known. During a special training exercise where the men were being taught to use new gear for escaping from high rise buildings, the families were invited to watch a demonstration. The demo building was a ten story job that is rigged to catch fire during the exercises. I watched my son roll off the edge of that roof and repel down about 6 stories in just a few seconds and enter the burning building through one of the windows. All this with over 120 lb.s of suit and gear on his back. My heart was in my throat the whole time. Not only couldn't I ever do something like that, I would never do something like launch myself off the roof of a ten story building... I don't care how many safety lines are attached to my a**.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]I have come to recognize firefighters as a special breed of men. They are the guys that run in when everybody else is running out. You bet I'm proud. Keep a good thought for him. I do, every day.[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]The photo of my family below was taken six years ago - before me and my wife of 38 years divorced. That's, James on the left, Margie, (my ex) myself, looking like a deer caught in the headlights and my daughter, my oldest child, Jeanine.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]John
[/size][/font][font="tahoma] [/font][/color][font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey John:

I am in Illinois, but is there anything I can do?

Paul

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thanks, Paul. Unless you know someone in NYC who can attend the rally, there's not much you can do really. We just need to turn out some numbers at the rally to let the Mayor know that the people in the neighborhood want and need that fire house. Let any friends or family you may have in the NY area know how important their attendance would be and how much it would mean to the guys at Engine 294 and to the residents of Woodhaven.

John

Latest posts