O.T. If you don't care much for Country Music...

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a song I wrote a while back after the guys in the band agreed that we all should go home and write a country song..our guitar player has a studio in his basement..we haven't really released it anywhere other than CD Baby which puts it on youtube automatically..we started to record some footage to make a video but it wasn't great so this is it so far..that's me singing...go easy on this old punk rocker..

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So people can get a taste...
MIDLAND
(outstanding)
BLACKBERRY
(Country Rocker)...
By far some of the better country out these days. Luke combs is killer as well as whiskey Myers. Most country is buttrock. nasally vocals with some acoustic and steel guitar. Believer me I play it every weekend. Some is fun but no stubstance. Check this song out

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on what country we're talking about.
A good initial intro could be the Country Music series by Ken Burns and I liked the first three episodes the best...especially way before Les Paul's/Marshall's/double bass kits/nasal autotoon et al became "country"...;)
Soooooo so many great songs and faves. Simply put....just plain great "songs". Man a lot of that stuff swung like crazy and sure is not easy to play even though it's easy to play.
Then there's that "other" kind of music.....western.....
bt

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, country music died in the early to mid 90's. I love the anti-establishment artists of country music. Billy Joe Shaver, Waylon, Willie, Kris, from years ago. Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, Buddy Miller, Cody Jinks, Jamey Johnson, etc. from a bit more recently. Jason Isbell is one of my favorite artists of modern times, but I would argue that he isn't country music at all. One of the greatest vocals of all time is Buddy Miller's version of this old Tom T. Hall song. It's probably my favorite cover of all time.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although there are exceptions, you're kind of not supposed to like country until you're 30, by which time life has hit you with enough sucker punches to start appreciating the genre. Then, if you're fortunate, you quickly outgrow most commercial country (including most performers who posture as outlaws) and dig into the plethora of good stuff.

Although I actually played a few country gigs as young as 14 in my girlfriend's father's band, it was well over a decade later before I warmed to the genre. By then, I was unfortunate enough to have taken a few early sucker punches, but fortunate enough to hook up with some guys who knew good country and played it.

Anyway, there's a ton of good country. So many examples come to mind that choosing one is impossible, but here's an example of the kind of thing a good player can do with a pure country tune (Merle Haggard's first hit actually):

Edit: It looks like my attempt to post the song failed. Here's a second attempt:

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
this vid is ok cause its got a real girl in it and Larry Byrom(Steppenwolf) played geetar on it and the bass line is good.