O.T. - Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
At the airport in Belize there’s a little place that sells pretty good hot dogs. You know what they put on ‘em? Mayonnaise. It’s good too!
I think it’sa sandwich. What about when up have bratwurst on a bun?

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Start eating your dogs
Sonoran Style and
don't look back.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a brother-in-law who believes the same thing, and he's known in his neighborhood for having big hot dog parties, but with one strict rule - no ketchup allowed. I don't really understand the hatred of ketchup. It's just a hot dog for cryin' out loud.
It's clear you don't understand how much is at stake when you can say something like, "It's just a hot dog."

:D

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Start eating your dogs
Sonoran Style and
don't look back.
There's a little pop-up place near us that specializes in Sonoran Dogs. Folding tables/chairs and a couple canopies, plus his trailer with grill and coolers for soda. It's only open in the evenings after his day job and he's been doing this for 15 years or something. Great food too.

My favorite is the chili dog though, with a Chicago dog right after that.

I'd say technically a hot dog is a sandwich. Meat between bread. You can be fancy and say it's a roll but at the end of the day it's still bread. Subs are typically on rolls and no one hesitates to call them sandwiches.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a little pop-up place near us that specializes in Sonoran Dogs. Folding tables/chairs and a couple canopies, plus his trailer with grill and coolers for soda. It's only open in the evenings after his day job and he's been doing this for 15 years or something. Great food too.

My favorite is the chili dog though, with a Chicago dog right after that.

I'd say technically a hot dog is a sandwich. Meat between bread. You can be fancy and say it's a roll but at the end of the day it's still bread. Subs are typically on rolls and no one hesitates to call them sandwiches.
Because I have seen you mention where you reside I am not surprised you have had a Sonoran Dog.
-Chicago Dogs are great, too.
-I had a gf once that switched to vegetarian before I met her but D.Q. chili dogs brought her back to the carnivore side of life-also before we met.
-Hang in there thru the 108°-118° you are going thru for the next 3 months.

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Snappy, I'm a Phoenix native so I'm pretty used to the heat now, but thanks, it's still tough sometimes. Fortunately/unfortunately we're not playing much right now because of the shutdowns, but otherwise we play the majority of our gigs outside.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
OK, Guys. Here's why a hot dog is not a sandwich. Sandwich is defined as "two or more slices of bred with a layer of meat, cheese, etc. between each pair."

A hot dog does not have two slices of bread; It's a single, hinged roll.

There are exceptions, of course, but the idea of two slices to a sandwich is so ingrained in our language that we say things like "I had to sandwich an appointment between two meetings."

To those who argued otherwise, now you know.

Ox Han

Reaction score
OK, Guys. Here's why a hot dog is not a sandwich. Sandwich is defined as "two or more slices of bred with a layer of meat, cheese, etc. between each pair."

A hot dog does not have two slices of bread; It's a single, hinged roll.

There are exceptions, of course, but the idea of two slices to a sandwich is so ingrained in our language that we say things like "I had to sandwich an appointment between two meetings."

To those who argued otherwise, now you know.
What about hoagies and “subs”? Those are sandwiches but are also on bread that is hinged, or not cut into two separate halves/slices.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
What about hoagies and “subs”? Those are sandwiches but are also on bread that is hinged, or not cut into two separate halves/slices.
While some hoagies and subs are hinged (often becoming unhinged as you eat), it's distinctly two pieces of bread - unlike a single-unit hot dog bun.

Ox Han

Reaction score
While some hoagies and subs are hinged (often becoming unhinged as you eat), it's distinctly two pieces of bread - unlike a single-unit hot dog bun.

That's one way to cut it if the hoagie/sub is especially large.A hoagie roll can also be sliced horizontally, but not separated. I'm not picking up what you're putting down

Latest posts