O.T. It's COLD and snowy!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
18 degrees and 6 inches of snow in my Buffalo, NY suburb and amazingly we arent bearing the brunt of this storm. Many of the cities impacted are ill-equipped to deal with this. To those of you in these places, please take it serious and stay safe. We joke about it here, but being born in a snow drift you learn to adapt. Hang in there!
I knew a retired couple from Buffalo many years ago. The husband told me they both grew up there. When I asked him if they had many white Christmases, he laughed and told me it was easier to count the Christmases he had as a kid without a blanket of snow on the ground.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
-22 here (Omaha) last night with a foot of snow still on the ground. They're talking 40 this weekend though.

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I knew a retired couple from Buffalo many years ago. The husband told me they both grew up there. When I asked him if they had many white Christmases, he laughed and told me it was easier to count the Christmases he had as a kid without a blanket of snow on the ground.
Oddly enough, over the last 20 years or so (give or take) we find ourselves hoping for snow on Christmas and lucky to get flurries. We pay for our wishes in Jan, Feb and March!

Reactions: CSR

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tenderfeet!

I spent most of my life near Buffalo NY, that ain't "snow" lol
I spent two winters in the Buffalo area of Delaware Park. Two weeks of Ice Berg Ville and four months left I was a hurtin' mess. I was in my twenties and went to the doctor thinking I had rapid onset acute arthritis! She asked me where I had lived before. Southern Arizona along the border with Mexighanistan where our summers are eight months long. She howled in laughter.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent two winters in the Buffalo area of Delaware Park. Two weeks of Ice Berg Ville and four months left I was a hurtin' mess. I was in my twenties and went to the doctor thinking I had rapid onset acute arthritis! She asked me where I had lived before. Southern Arizona along the border with Mexighanistan where our summers are eight months long. She howled in laughter.
Yeah, I love hearing the stories about anywhere in the south when it snow dusts a little they shut the whole state down. In PA my kids never had snow days, it could snow in feet and the school buses came early. In WV a puddle froze and they closed the school down lol.

And I get it, if you're not accustom to snow it's really dangerous to be out there. I've had decades of driving in bad weather and it doesn't bother me.

If you know how to pump your brakes you're a good snow driver. Anti-lock isn't designed to stop you, it's designed to keep you in control so you don't crash into a tree or something, brake pumping will stop you, eventually.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love hearing the stories about anywhere in the south when it snow dusts a little they shut the whole state down. In PA my kids never had snow days, it could snow in feet and the school buses came early. In WV a puddle froze and they closed the school down lol.

And I get it, if you're not accustom to snow it's really dangerous to be out there. I've had decades of driving in bad weather and it doesn't bother me.

If you know how to pump your brakes you're a good snow driver. Anti-lock isn't designed to stop you, it's designed to keep you in control so you don't crash into a tree or something, brake pumping will stop you, eventually.
They really don't shut us down for a little snow. Sleet and freezing rain which is 90% of what we get, for sure. There are no salt trucks in the south. Bridges and overpasses will simply be impassable. And for the freak heavier show, there are no plows. I've driven in northern cities in the winter... It's not bad when road crews have everything ready to go before you wake up.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The worst part about northern winters is that the snow packs down and becomes concrete hard. Ungluing your vehicle with a frigging ball-peen hammer after shape-charging a tunnel out of the house really sucks. I used to just walk out the second-floor window! One could break off an icicle and stab someone to death and never have to worry about the Forensic guys nailing any prints! I've always wondered if the harsh winters up there influenced the song "Slip-slidin' Away" being put out by Simon &Garfunkel. I was in Quebec, parked just outside the Citadel. I had to walk an extra three blocks to get to my truck. It had slid down the street on it's own!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part about northern winters is that the snow packs down and becomes concrete hard. Ungluing your vehicle with a frigging ball-peen hammer after shape-charging a tunnel out of the house really sucks. I used to just walk out the second-floor window! One could break off an icicle and stab someone to death and never have to worry about the Forensic guys nailing any prints! I've always wondered if the harsh winters up there influenced the song "Slip-slidin' Away" being put out by Simon &Garfunkel. I was in Quebec, parked just outside the Citadel. I had to walk an extra three blocks to get to my truck. It had slid down the street on it's own!
Yeah, in parts of the NE they don't even bother plowing after the snow packs down, they just dump cinders on it.

I was up near Buffalo and hired an IT guy from Lodi CA, his first winter here he drives his car through a car wash then goes to work. Took us an hour to get him out of it lol

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was up in the Poconos about a decade back. Got rear-ended by a huge ice-laden tree that toppled over taking with it the powerlines. It slid down about a quarter-mile and pushed me and the four cars in front of me out into the intersection!

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in parts of the NE they don't even bother plowing after the snow packs down, they just dump cinders on it.

I was up near Buffalo and hired an IT guy from Lodi CA, his first winter here he drives his car through a car wash then goes to work. Took us an hour to get him out of it lol
Yeah. because the snow and ice is like plowing through a missile silo! Break that plow right off. Seen a few of them going through the Adirondacks. Up in Calgary through the Maritimes they don't bother recovering vehicles that've gone off the roads. They stay there until the third thaw! Motorcycle or 18-wheelers, makes no difference.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s a load of bull , wow ....

• Haha
Reactions: bob

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They really don't shut us down for a little snow. Sleet and freezing rain which is 90% of what we get, for sure. There are no salt trucks in the south. Bridges and overpasses will simply be impassable. And for the freak heavier show, there are no plows. I've driven in northern cities in the winter... It's not bad when road crews have everything ready to go before you wake up.
Out here the heat kills. I'm just north of the border where Trump's emphasis has really changed for the good. Gotta give that thug credit! I'm a firebird (as opposed to a snowbird) and vacation where it's cold. I have no problem tent-camping in 10-degree weather. Anything below zero is a no-go! I'm set up for it. I was hiking the Columbia Icefields of BC in t-shirt and shorts when it was 117 in the shade here at the front door to hell! All those bundled-up tourists thought we were on drugs. They even called the Mounties on us. And I thought it was because somebody locked themselves out of their car.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out here the heat kills. I'm just north of the border where Trump's emphasis has really changed for the good. Gotta give that thug credit! I'm a firebird (as opposed to a snowbird) and vacation where it's cold. I have no problem tent-camping in 10-degree weather. Anything below zero is a no-go! I'm set up for it. I was hiking the Columbia Icefields of BC in t-shirt and shorts when it was 117 in the shade here at the front door to hell! All those bundled-up tourists thought we were on drugs. They even called the Mounties on us. And I thought it was because somebody locked themselves out of their car.
I haven't gone out this year because I've been way busy, moved into a new house and the weather here in the high desert hasn't been that rough but I love ice fishing out here. Only in the blue skies and sunny, tank top and flip flops on the ice. Actually get a sunburn for the effort.

eh... maybe next year.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent a few years in Buffalo. A few years in the Sault. A few years in Washington State. Lots of neato times and some nice snow.
I miss it when it's not on the ground for the winter here.
So, this is an extree special gift this year. I love the white stuff.

Temps have been below zero and creeping up around 10 deg every so often.
I've been out shoveling and it's refreshing. Great exercise and so crisp and clean.
We are on tap to get another 8-12 inches in the next 24 hours.
I do understand the drain on some.
But I am embracing it and enjoying it.
It doesn't come around often ...

Just so beautiful ...

IMG_0955.jpeg

Last edited:

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent a few years in Buffalo. A few years in the Sault. A few years in Washington State. Lots of neato times and some nice snow.
I miss it when it's not on the ground for the winter here.
So, this is an extree special gift this year. I love the white stuff.

Temps have been below zero and creeping up around 10 deg every so often.
I've been out shoveling and it's refreshing. Great exercise and so crisp and clean.
We are on tap to get another 8-12 inches in the next 24 hours.
I do understand the drain on some.
But I am embracing it and enjoying it.
It doesn't come around often ...
Buffalo, Delaware Park, Siberia, the same thing! Been to and froze in them all. I take it you're referencing Sault St. Marie? I have a brother on Bainbridge Island. The only snow down here is narco-cocaine. Otherwise it just cactus and 70 degrees. Got two sisters in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin's waterfront. They get to freeze for me.