O.T. It's COLD and snowy!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Up here in Québec City winter has been milder than usual. We did get about a foot of snow yesterday, but there is still about a foot of snow missing from the backyard. We haven't been really deep in the minus temperatures, nothing crazy.

Reactions: JDA

green glass drum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't gone out this year because I've been way busy, moved into a new house and the weather here in the high desert hasn't been that rough but I love ice fishing out here. Only in the blue skies and sunny, tank top and flip flops on the ice. Actually get a sunburn for the effort.

eh... maybe next year.
What part of the high desert are you in? California sir?

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I read earlier that 13 other states are now in the same situation. Weird politics and governance is certainly a factor, but this is mostly just unprecedented demand in the most extreme conditions in a generation or three or four.
That's what I was driving at earlier with normalization as a factor. Bitter cold snaps abate for a good while and budgets shift priorities. The problem is how to budget for a new normal of mild winters peppered with extreme events on a dwindling supply of energy and increased populations in temperate areas. Suddenly those "crazy" political plans of energy efficiency and increasing insulation in homes don't seem so out of whack. But ...

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is currently a balmy 10 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny here in Pittsburgh. (-12 Celsius) We get this weather usually for a couple of days a year, but we do have the infrastructure in place to deal with it.

I lived in south Florida for twelve years. Rarely it would dip into the thirties, it was tough to deal with there, as I didn't own anything heavier than my Members Only jacket. (It was a while ago...)

Stay safe my friends.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I
It's COLD and dangerous wind chills for MOST of the U.S. (even the whole state of TEXAS!) Large amounts of snow are also coming.

Just in case anyone needs to go out in the weather for the next couple of days, I thought I would give you ideas on transportation.

Personal transport options.
View attachment 485188 View attachment 485190

These are a lot faster, and a little warmer. Two people only and no cargo room.
View attachment 485193

These are also an option. They have more cargo room for your drums, although loading in/out could be a trick.
View attachment 485189
Just don't get the legs tangled in anything
View attachment 485191

Best yet, just stay inside where it's warm and send a drone.
View attachment 485192

Stay safe and warm everyone.
It was -2 here in Dallas yesterday and it is a balmy 19 and snowing today. Nothing for the Yanks on this thread, but something Texas is not prepared for. No power, heat. However
It's COLD and dangerous wind chills for MOST of the U.S. (even the whole state of TEXAS!) Large amounts of snow are also coming.

Just in case anyone needs to go out in the weather for the next couple of days, I thought I would give you ideas on transportation.

View attachment 485193

These are also an option. They have more cargo room for your drums, although loading in/out could be a trick.
View attachment 485189
View attachment 485191

View attachment 485192

View attachment 485193

View attachment 485189
View attachment 485191

View attachment 485192

It was -2 here in Dallas yesterday and it is a balmy 19 and snowing today. Nothing for the Yanks on this thread, but something Texas is not prepared for. No power, heat. However, I have used the down time to work on my hands with my 14” Moongel Pad.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't gone out this year because I've been way busy, moved into a new house and the weather here in the high desert hasn't been that rough but I love ice fishing out here. Only in the blue skies and sunny, tank top and flip flops on the ice. Actually get a sunburn for the effort.

eh... maybe next year.
The worst thing about moving is having to buy stuff you thought you packed for the move. The second worst thing about moving is having to buy stuff because you're too lazy to unpack it. The third worst thing about moving is it always takes more time to unpack than it took to pack in the first place. Sweet dreams, sweet memories, moving sucks!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In western New York, it’s not the snow and cold that gets to me (and I was born and raised here). I find snow blowing fun. Driving 20 miles to work was ok with all-wheel drive and four good snow tires and lots of experience. The cold is invigorating and cause for flannel shirts, sweatshirts, and quilts. We keep the house at 65 F during the day and 57 at night comfortably.

What gets me is the gloom with grey-white skies and little actual sunshine. And spring slush.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up here in Québec City winter has been milder than usual. We did get about a foot of snow yesterday, but there is still about a foot of snow missing from the backyard. We haven't been really deep in the minus temperatures, nothing crazy.
I was there about a decade ago. I parked just outside the Citadel (Beautiful turquoise copper roofing!) under the historic protective cannons of the surrounding wall after grabbing take-out. Took a snowbound walking tour at night. She's still working on her take-out from the Burger (Booger) King and I my still-hot Double-Double. Had to walk an extra three blocks to find that my truck and about a dozen additional vehicles slid down on the frozen street their own. Golfer's cleats work wonders, even for us Cactus-heads playing Polar Bear. '70s and sunny down here along the Mexighanistani border.

Last edited:

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine the new Texas State mascot, the Polar Bear!!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live near Gimli, and that's aboot right! I can smell the mash from the Crown Royal Plant.
Small world! The guy I know worked there for over 20 years, and grew up there. He was showing me the lake and the shack road just yesterday.

evanf

Reaction score
Small world! The guy I know worked there for over 20 years, and grew up there. He was showing me the lake and the shack road just yesterday.
Very Cool! I'm in Sandy Hook, which is just south of Gimli on Lake Winnipeg. Tons of ice fishing tents/shacks even when it's -30 or colder.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very Cool! I'm in Sandy Hook, which is just south of Gimli on Lake Winnipeg. Tons of ice fishing tents/shacks even when it's -30 or colder.
He was showing me an aerial (drone?) photo of all the shacks. Plus I also know his buddy who still works at Crown Royal. Go Jets, eh! :headbang:

evanf

Reaction score
W
He was showing me an aerial (drone?) photo of all the shacks. Plus I also know his buddy who still works at Crown Royal. Go Jets, eh! :headbang:
What a small world! And yes go Jets go! It's aboot time they win the cup, eh!

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
:twisted: hurricane season is coming....:twisted:
Meh. The general paths that storms take have shifted. We don't seem to get much anymore. (One weak glance-ish since 2005.) I'll be more worried when the trends zero in on my area again, but they've been trending away for a while. Even then my place is pretty heavily built, and I got impact windows.