O.T. It's COLD and snowy!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tenderfeet!

I spent most of my life near Buffalo NY, that ain't "snow" lol
I hear you! Born and still here and just north of Buffalo in Canada, we are used to it. In my particular area, the last couple years have been good...even this year, not much snow in December and January and decent temperatures and getting all this month. Though even in Canada, some provinces and areas (for that matter) get more snow than others...
However, I can understand those who are not used to it and are trying to deal with the cold and snow ....it would be a shock! And the poor folks in Texas with no power... that is serious! Keeping all those who are dealing with the cold and snow in prayer....

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ended up with about 20 inches total. That is incredible for here.
It has been quite the blessing. Lots of quality time in the home with the wife.
Got some work done. Did a lot of shoveling. Played quite a bit.
One of the more delightful weeks.
I am thankful.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm reading accounts of people in full-on survival mode in areas affected by those
avoidable
mass power outages. We're talking driving 100s of miles for fuel to power generators and find propane to heat and cook with grills. Sleeping in cars for heat after finding gas. Using the water from the water heater to clean up and even drink in some cases. And then the lines for food and water as in the video in post #120

Tom Holder

Reaction score
67 here yesterday. Doing fine in shorts and a sweatshirt. Went for a five mile walk yesterday in the sun. Going for a bike ride this afternoon.

Sorry to hear about the difficult weather in the rest of the country.
How nice for you!!! I told my wife the other day that some clever person needs to make an avitar of a guy making the "bronx cheer" and thumbing his nose!!

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How nice for you!!! I told my wife the other day that some clever person needs to make an avitar of a guy making the "bronx cheer" and thumbing his nose!!
Yeah. In retrospect, given all the diffculty this week in the Midwest and South, that weather report from Monday does read a little harsh, doesn’t it?

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning we had a Freezing Fog in our area. Not nice to be stuck in, but it did leave some beautiful scenery before the sun came up and melted it away.

20210219_070222.jpg

KingLudwig

Reaction score
LIGHTWEIGHTS!!!
I've had 40"+ of snow and 30below windchills in the last 2 weeks! And yes, I work outdoors overnight!

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"cold and snowy" That happens a lot during the WINTER season IIRC.:roll:

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 30 miles north of NYC, so I'm still dealing with 20+ inches from two weeks ago. That doesn't bother me, it's the broken wrist in the cast from slipping on ice in that storm that's frustrating.
Oh no, sorry

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Been a hell of a year for ice dams. Seems like everyone in my neighborhood is having trouble. I've spent several hours this week clearing gutters, raking snow off the roof, etc. I had about 24" of snow on my garage.

Big thaw coming next week. Got to have all the dams gone so the roof can drain without backing up into the attic.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
memories....
Ice Days 001.JPG
of the weather that soon will be gone...

Ice Days 001.JPG Ice Days 002.JPG Ice Days 003.JPG Ice Days 004.JPG

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wre snowed in most of the last 12 days...massive melt-off began yesterday; more than half is gone now. We had, in the follwoing order: 2 weeks ago: 1/4" ice, 4" snow, 1/8" Ice. Then last Wednesday night: 5 more inches of snow. So, ice, snow, ice, snow layers. It's going to be another few days before it's all gone.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny ... I literally just picked up a new sports car. Had it for a very short time (two weeks?) and the snow hit.
It's been sitting in my garage taunting me ... hahaha.

We could finally drive today, after ten days of being snowed in.
The wife went to one of the offices today and took care of some very necessary items.
I've still got snow on and around my house and in the road, but at least it's passable now.

All things considered, we will remember this one fondly. Some rough times for sure, but perspective will carry you through most anything if you allow it.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hit a high of 64 degrees Fahrenheit just south of Pittsburgh where I live today, I did some work outside without a jacket and it felt great. Of course it is supposed to drop to 30 by seven AM tomorrow, and only reach 39. And down to 23 on Thursday... Three days, three different seasons. :D

Spring is officially 24 days away, I can handle this.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In western New York State, it’s called a heavy frost...and 6 degrees is definitely sweatshirt weather!
As somebody from western PA,whenever you hear the term lake effect snow...
Lived in Erie for a year back in the day.
It used to snow so much they had to truck the plowed snow south of the city because they had no place to put it.

Reactions: JDA