O.T.: Just Spent Eight Days Vacationing in Switzerland

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Got any questions?

We bought round-trip tickets DC to Geneva for $450 back in January.

Travel (Oct. 7 to 17) via London not a problem with my U.S. Passport and Proof of Vaccination.

Once there, we travelled widely … Some restaurants and museums asked for Vax cards.

Stores, restaurants, trains, museums and cable cars operated as normal.

We had a great time walking, hiking and clambering atop the biggest mountains I ever stood on.

Stayed in an Airbnb in Fribourg — Visited Geneva, Montreux, Lausanne, Bern and Greyuere. Rented a mid-sized car — got upgraded to a Mercedes Benz station wagon. (Parking garages are a nightmare with impossibly small parking spaces).

It cost $91 to fill the tank with gasoline.

Re-entering the U.S. requires a health test — not hard to get.

McDonald’s doesn’t call them Quarter Pounders. It’s Cheeseberger Royal $6.

I speak no French or German. Generally, not a problem.

Let me know what else you want to know.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Fantastic. We spent 9 days in Austria (cycling and river-boat cruising along the Danube) in July. Best vacation ever (so far). Very similar experience in regards to COVID Vaccines/testing.
We were the very first Americans most of the Austrians had seen since the beginning of the pandemic. I thought the EU had closed back down to American tourists.
I speak no German, and it was no problem. Most everyone speaks some English. More-so in the bigger cities. Heck, a lot of the Viennese speak better English than I do!

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got any questions?

Travel (Oct. 7 to 17) via London not a problem with my U.S. Passport and Proof of Vaccination.

Once there, we travelled widely … Some restaurants and museums asked for Vax cards.

We had a great time walking, hiking and clambering atop the biggest mountains I ever stood on.

Stayed in an Airbnb in Fribourg — Visited Geneva, Montreux, Lausanne, Bern and Greyuere. Rented a mid-sized car — got upgraded to a Mercedes Benz station wagon. (Parking garages are a nightmare with impossibly small parking spaces).

Been to Switzerland 3 times, no shortage of postcard-worthy vistas there... Mostly spent time in Geneva, Montreux, Lausanne, and a quaint little town called Sierre where a friend of mine manages a show-bar and the local B league Hockey team.

One weird downside, for us drummers (and gigging musicians in general) is they have quite stringent noise regulations in pretty much every venue presenting live music. One of the few big clubs I've been to even had a cutoff switch hooked up to a db meter at the FOH console, set to cut the PA's power down for 30 seconds once a 100db peak is reached and cut power for good at the 3rd "offense". 100 db peak really isn't that hard to reach even just with an unmiked kit and amps set to moderate volume...

Anyway, Congrats on your holidays.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got any questions?

How’s Fed doing?

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While in Montreaux, did you visit the Freddie mercury statue on the lake shore and the "Queen Studio Experience"? Both were highlights for me in 2019...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing you got your trip in now, because by Nov.22/23, air travel is likely to be completely crippled in the US. Gee, right before Thanksgiving! Outstanding move!

Honestly, I may never fly again. But glad you had fun. Beautiful country, maybe the prettiest in the world and good people to.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stayed in Zurich many years ago . It felt very clean and safe .

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
While in Montreaux, did you visit the Freddie mercury statue on the lake shore and the "Queen Studio Experience"? Both were highlights for me in 2019...
Statue is beautiful. Skipped the studio (generally like the albums prior to 1978's Jazz. Mrs. VB loves 16th Century castles and Chillion is really one of the best, if not No. 1.

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Once owned an apartment overlooking Lake Lucerne in a village called Seelisberg. Switzerland is very organized with synchronized rail, boat, vehicular mountain lift schedules and on a single ticket that can combine anyone of those. Beautiful at any time of year. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

scheme

Reaction score
One of the few big clubs I've been to even had a cutoff switch hooked up to a db meter at the FOH console, set to cut the PA's power down for 30 seconds once a 100db peak is reached and cut power for good at the 3rd "offense". 100 db peak really isn't that hard to reach even just with an unmiked kit and amps set to moderate volume...
This seems kind of weird. Swiss law states, that the 100db limit is not peak, but the average over an hour. So you may exceed the 100db for some time.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you liked it...
in the 90s...my X and I honeymooned there...skied at Crans Montana... I failed french but went down trying...when the waitress at our hotel wanted to serve us from a cheese plate...and I wanted to try everything...all I could come up with was "toute le monde du fromage si vous plais"...which translates to "the whole world of cheese please"...the Europeans were amused.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This seems kind of weird. Swiss law states, that the 100db limit is not peak, but the average over an hour. So you may exceed the 100db for some time.
Well maybe this particular club obeyed to stricter local ordinances, I don't know. Maybe the cutoff thing was explained to us wrong.

At another venue we played in, the manager came during soundcheck and said "It is not gonna be this loud tonight, is it?" Aaaand guess what? The P.A. wasn't even on yet... Of course we were young and snotty and played with extra "enthusiasm" back then, but still... That was the first time ever we'd received a noise complain before the PA was on...

skied at Crans Montana.
I skied there for a week on one of my trips. Great skiing resort. It was mid-december, not peak season so the mountain and the slopes were mostly empty. It snowed a bit over 2 feet in the first 3 days I was there so I had exceptional conditions. Having an alpine resort almost all to myself, doing fresh tracks pretty much anywhere I went was definitely one of the highlights of my snowboarding days...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well maybe this particular club obeyed to stricter local ordinances, I don't know. Maybe the cutoff thing was explained to us wrong.

At another venue we played in, the manager came during soundcheck and said "It is not gonna be this loud tonight, is it?" Aaaand guess what? The P.A. wasn't even on yet... Of course we were young and snotty and played with extra "enthusiasm" back then, but still... That was the first time ever we'd received a noise complain before the PA was on...

I skied there for a week on one of my trips. Great skiing resort. It was mid-december, not peak season so the mountain and the slopes were mostly empty. It snowed a bit over 2 feet in the first 3 days I was there so I had exceptional conditions. Having an alpine resort almost all to myself, doing fresh tracks pretty much anywhere I went was definitely one of the highlights of my snowboarding days...
They've got some weird ways there.

Like, there has not been any motorsports since like 1955 because there was a bad accident in a race there, so they banned it completely. They've tried to bring it back twice, but were unsuccessful in parliament. Only thing permitted is a hill climb once a year.

Kenanel

Reaction score
We plan to go to Switzerland around May, but I think it's better to go in summer. In summer in Switzerland, it seems much more comfortable and beautiful, just nature will be at its best. Please tell me which hotel is better to choose. We are at least ready for a 4-star hotel. 3 stars only spoil the holiday. I already had a bad experience. Also, we are exceptionally inspired by Vestallgäu, one of the sunniest regions in Germany. How would it be convenient to get there? Oh, and very much looking forward to beer and restaurant recommendations. Gastro tourism is our passion.

Last edited: