O.T.: PSA, and a serious one

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Usually my off topic posts are something silly, but I really think because I am having some problems in this area, I want to put this out there: take care of your mental health.

I don’t want to come off whiney or self-indulgent. Many things have occurred to become the catalyst for why I have finally become a patient of a psychiatrist. I do joke about it, as the painful things in life are made tolerable with a joke.

It does not make you weak to seek professional help. It does not make you defective that you may need sanctioned pharmaceutical assistance. Ever since my medical scare and subsequent surgeries, I have figured out that there are things that are too great to handle solo without seeking proper professional help. My goal in life is to now normalize ostomy bags and mental health. I no longer have the former, and I really need the latter ESPECIALLY if Mrs. Dumpy is going to keep me around.

Positive vibes only. Feel free to message me if you need to discuss this privately. The intent of this thread is not to debate the merits or downfalls of mental health technology. Take care of yourselves.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, we are seriously behind you. Fortunately, the stigma of the words "mental health" is finally being understood as simply part of ones overall health. I'm proud that you recognized a need in your own situation and made that professional connection to get you back to a good, solid place. While we are just a collection of folks on an internet board, we can still lift you up, pray, cheer you on, and celebrate the victories with you (both in our drumming pursuits and more importantly in each others lives). Stay strong, listen to the doctors and hit some drums...

Ward

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey man, we are seriously behind you. Fortunately, the stigma of the words "mental health" is finally being understood as simply part of ones overall health. I'm proud that you recognized a need in your own situation and made that professional connection to get you back to a good, solid place. While we are just a collection of folks on an internet board, we can still lift you up, pray, cheer you on, and celebrate the victories with you (both in our drumming pursuits and more importantly in each others lives). Stay strong, listen to the doctors and hit some drums...

Ward
I appreciate that, Ward.

Sometimes I feel like a character from the old Bob Newhart show where he was a shrink! But in ways, we can become caricatures in life. At this point, I have to own it.

My true mission is to also get others to not feel shame that they may need to take that leap. It took me a very long time to get there, and I suffered numerous losses along the way. I was estranged from my family for 15 years because of it. Pride is a good thing until it tips the balance, then you suffer in spite of it. I hope this message resonates with those who also may wonder if this isn’t a path they need to pursue.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I salute your courage to speak up on this. It will certainly resonate for some members who suffer, often alone and/or in silence, because of the fear of stigmatization associated with mental health issues. Fortunately, the negative perceptions on the subject are less common than they've been in the past.

The brain is an extremely complex machine with billions and billions of intricate electrical connections and chemical interactions and it is pretty easy for this system to be thrown off balance. You wouldn't judge somebody with stomach ulcers for having a doctor prescribe him something to get better, then it isn't any different for mental health issues.

It takes strenght to recognise our weaknesses, to overcome pride and to seek and accept help. I'm glad you found that strength.

You are one of the members here I feel some connection to. You seem to me like a decent human being and I appreciate your insights and your sense of humor. I'm sure that with your therapist's help and Mrs. Dumpy's support, you'll be able to regroup.

Get better, brother

Jonathan

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I salute your courage to speak up on this. It will certainly resonate for some members who suffer, often alone and/or in silence, because of the fear of stigmatization associated with mental health issues. Fortunately, the negative perceptions on the subject are less common than they've been in the past.

The brain is an extremely complex machine with billions and billions of intricate electrical connections and chemical interactions and it is pretty easy for this system to be thrown off balance. You wouldn't judge somebody with stomach ulcers for having a doctor prescribe him something to get better, then it isn't any different for mental health issues.

It takes strenght to recognise our weaknesses, to overcome pride and to seek and accept help. I'm glad you found that strength.

You are one of the members here I feel some connection to. You seem to me like a decent human being and I appreciate your insights and your sense of humor. I'm sure that with your therapist's help and Mrs. Dumpy's support, you'll be able to regroup.

Get better, brother

Jonathan
I appreciate the kind words, Jonathan.

I will make a joke here- I hope they don’t end up curing me in the brain the same way they did with my gut! I don’t know if I want to deal with growing back my luscious hockey hair after surgery! Ba dum psht!

Seriously, though- I think of mental problems much like dealing with any other chronic systemic malady in any other part of the body: it must be addressed, treat the symptoms and figure out the whys to get to the root of the problem and fix it. Maintenance is something I am grappling with because my first therapist seemed to make matters worse with simplistic solutions to complex problems. The proposed “solutions” literally nearly drove to the point of no return. But I think that I am going to ask the doctor to refer me to a counselor he thinks would tick the boxes.

I feel a kinship with you, as well.

Thanks again.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it comes to worst for your hockey hair hair, you could always ask Jaromir Jagr to donate some of his magnificent curlies for a graft. :lol:
Screenshot_20201204-074340~2.png

Attacking the root cause of your problems is probably going to be a long campaign as opposed to a quick skirmish. But at least if you have the symptoms under controls, it'll make it way easier and probably faster.
Maintenance is something I am grappling with because my first therapist seemed to make my problems worse with simplistic solutions to complex problems
I hear ya. You have to be careful and diligent in your approach to medication. Some of the mollecules in the psychiatric pharmacopea can be quite hard to ween off of, post treatment, and/or have unpleasant side-effects. Try to educate yourself on what is given to you, don't be affraid to ask your therapist about it.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it comes to worst for your hockey hair hair, you could always ask Jaromir Jagr to donate some of his magnificent curlies for a graft. :lol: View attachment 473214
Attacking the root cause of your problems is probably going to be a long campaign as opposed to a quick skirmish. But at least if you have the symptoms under controls, it'll make it way easier and probably faster.

I hear ya. You have to be careful and diligent in your approach to medication. Some of the mollecules in the psychiatric pharmacopea can be quite hard to ween off of, post treatment, and/or have unpleasant side-effects. Try to educate yourself on what is given to you, don't be affraid to ask your therapist about it.
Loud and clear on the meds. This is why I am trying to get to the next step.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The brain is an organ just like your lungs or heart and can suffer from illness and disease just as they do. There should be no stigma around mental health issues but unfortunately there still is. Seeking help for your brain is no different than seeking treatment for that weird growth on your back.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The brain is an organ just like your lungs or heart and can suffer from illness and disease just as they do. There should be no stigma around mental health issues but unfortunately there still is. Seeking help for your brain is no different than seeking treatment for that weird growth on your back.
That is my attitude, as well.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Usually my off topic posts are something silly, but I really think because I am having some problems in this area, I want to put this out there: take care of your mental health.

I don’t want to come off whiney or self-indulgent. Many things have occurred to become the catalyst for why I have finally become a patient of a psychiatrist. I do joke about it, as the painful things in life are made tolerable with a joke.

It does not make you weak to seek professional help. It does not make you defective that you may need sanctioned pharmaceutical assistance. Ever since my medical scare and subsequent surgeries, I have figured out that there are things that are too great to handle solo without seeking proper professional help. My goal in life is to now normalize ostomy bags and mental health. I no longer have the former, and I really need the latter ESPECIALLY if Mrs. Dumpy is going to keep me around.

Positive vibes only. Feel free to message me if you need to discuss this privately. The intent of this thread is not to debate the merits or downfalls of mental health technology. Take care of yourselves.
Dumpy,
You are a wonderful addition to "our" DrumForum and your ability and courage to openly discuss such important issues is commended, my friend. We have talked a bit in private, but I do know as a health care professional that with bowel surgeries come depression. I see this in my office often and, unfortunately, people are not adequately prepared to deal with these issue post surgery. You have done a wonderful job bringing this issue to the surface and sharing on this platform. You are a good man, brother. Keep on trucking! Cheers!
Rob

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dumpy,
You are a wonderful addition to "our" DrumForum and your ability and courage to openly discuss such important issues is commended, my friend. We have talked a bit in private, but I do know as a health care professional that with bowel surgeries come depression. I see this in my office often and, unfortunately, people are not adequately prepared to deal with these issue post surgery. You have done a wonderful job bringing this issue to the surface and sharing on this platform. You are a good man, brother. Keep on trucking! Cheers!
Rob
Rob, thanks for the kind words.

I feel that if one can’t be a philanthropist with money, you have to give something else to help others. I am hoping that sharing these things (without over-sharing) will encourage others who are feeling gobbled up will finally say “this is greater than me, and there is no shame in seeking help.” Most people who aren’t adept at home maintenance hire a handy person; I see literally no difference. Helping yourself is sometimes best done by seeking the assistance of an expert.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kudos for addressing the issue both in your life and with us.

It's generally better to seek help than to act out. You're doing this. Much respect.

I hope your course helps.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are among friends and your contributions to the forum are welcome and engaging. I have suffered as well, having AIDS for almost 40 years and going through many phases of mental and physical suffering. When i was diagnosed it was usually just a matter of time before one died. That was a tough one to deal with. It was also so stigmatic that i was afraid to tell anyone. I am still quite careful about who knows, which causes a whole other set of mental gymnastics.

You are not alone. Hang in there and always feel free to reach out and PM me if you want to talk. I’ve been there...hell, i’m still there

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bare with me here. This will come off like I'm a little angry at first, and maybe I am, but not at you or anyone on the forum.

You're not alone and anyone who tries to make you feel weak for reaching out should frankly be tormented by their own personal grief so they can get an idea of what it feels like. I bet they leave you alone after that. That sounds cruel, but I think most people don't make an effort to belittle others who suffer from mental and emotional pain. If they do, they're just (insert obvious 8 letter, plural expletive that would be banned on DFO) who probably lack the ability to relate or have compassion, and can therefore be considered mentally challenged themselves. It's not their fault. They were likely born with it.

I hate to say it, but I think that is the truth.

Particularly in a year like 2020 which would challenge even the most well-adapted, "socially upright," forward thinking, optimistic person, I personally have no patience for people who downgrade others for no good reason. Hate and rhetoric has been thrown around this year like it's an ok thing to do and more people should try it. That was wrong.

I think it's great and very healthy to reach out to others when you need help. The only thing keeping many from getting some positive reinforcement is that they're afraid to ask for it. Society made it that way, although a lot of those barriers have come down in recent decades. The following might sound a little overused but the reason we hear it often can be attributed to the truth it contains, that many people want to hear it again. Ask and ye shall receive. Those who answer without judgment are your allies and friends. Those who try to take you down a notch are not worth your presence and time.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are among friends and your contributions to the forum are welcome and engaging. I have suffered as well, having AIDS for almost 40 years and going through many phases of mental and physical suffering. When i was diagnosed it was usually just a matter of time before one died. That was a tough one to deal with. It was also so stigmatic that i was afraid to tell anyone. I am still quite careful about who knows, which causes a whole other set of mental gymnastics.

You are not alone. Hang in there and always feel free to reach out and PM me if you want to talk. I’ve been there...hell, i’m still there
This hits close to home.
Two of my uncles (one on each side of the family) died of AIDS. One of them was my godfather, to whom I was very close. I've seen the havok it can wreak both mentally and physically. Fortunately, great strides have been done regarding both treatment and opinion, so it is no longer an automatic (physical and social) death sentence. And I don't say this to belittle your suffering, at all... You have all my respect and compassion for the undoubtedly massive amount of strength and courage required to go through 40 years of ups and down.

My hat is off to you good sir. And let us extend you the same branch if need be.

Jonathan

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thank you.

I used to teach universal precautions for AIDS/HIV prevention in the salons and juvenile detention centers in the early 90s as I had lost a disproportionate amount of young friends to that disease. As an educator, I put up with stupidly absurd amounts of prejudice. But it was nothing compared to the people living with the disease.

First off- my hat is off to you! You have beat a LOT of the odds. Secondly- I have seen second hand what types of judgment and other hurdles people like yourself have put up with; that makes you a TRUE super hero in my eyes!

Thank you for your kind words. And you keep up the good fight!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bare with me here. This will come off like I'm a little angry at first, and maybe I am, but not at you or anyone on the forum.

You're not alone and anyone who tries to make you feel weak for reaching out should frankly be tormented by their own personal grief so they can get an idea of what it feels like. I bet they leave you alone after that. That sounds cruel, but I think most people don't make an effort to belittle others who suffer from mental and emotional pain. If they do, they're just (insert obvious 8 letter, plural expletive that would be banned on DFO) who probably lack the ability to relate or have compassion, and can therefore be considered mentally challenged themselves. It's not their fault. They were likely born with it.

I hate to say it, but I think that is the truth.

Particularly in a year like 2020 which would challenge even the most well-adapted, "socially upright," forward thinking, optimistic person, I personally have no patience for people who downgrade others for no good reason. Hate and rhetoric has been thrown around this year like it's an ok thing to do and more people should try it. That was wrong.

I think it's great and very healthy to reach out to others when you need help. The only thing keeping many from getting some positive reinforcement is that they're afraid to ask for it. Society made it that way, although a lot of those barriers have come down in recent decades. The following might sound a little overused but the reason we hear it often can be attributed to the truth it contains, that many people want to hear it again. Ask and ye shall receive. Those who answer without judgment are your allies and friends. Those who try to take you down a notch are not worth your presence and time.
Thank you.

Like the message- powerful stuff!