O.T.: PSA, and a serious one

WLVN

Reaction score
It's okay to not be okay! I learned that a long time ago and although I keep forgetting. it's nice to be reminded.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations on your process/progress in recovery. Thank you for inviting us on your journey.

kevin klever

Reaction score
I started seeing a therapist for the first time a little over a year ago. The person I was before that is such a different person than I am today, he feels almost a complete stranger. Thanks for putting the topic out there, and I'll just add: Don't wait until you're in crisis to seek professional help for your emotional/psychological well being. The generation younger than me (I'm the oldest of the millenials, I guess they're calling the younger kids zoomers?) are growing up with a much healthier paradigm of mental health than I did, and certainly more than many of the members on the board who are a little older than me. For most of us here, especially the men, we haven't been provided with a model for processing emotions in a healthy way, dealing with stress, having positive and dynamic interpersonal relationships, allowing ourselves to be vulnerable and truly intimate with our friends and partners, etc. Luckily there are smart, qualified pros out there (and a huge body of literature - I highly recommend the work of Terry Real in particular) who can help before things reach a state of crisis, and help us be better equipped for the inevitable times when things to get to that point. Big respect to everyone proactively working on their mental health, it's worth it! And as a supe relevant aside: My drumming has improved immensely as the direct result of sorting out my emotional state. My practice sessions, playing with friends in sessions, and live performance have all benefited from being less of a walking bag of anxiety than previously.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am truly overwhelmed by the positive support received here on this topic. I know it isn’t quite the taboo subject that it was twenty-five years back, but there is still judgment. For example, last year a co-worker’s sister and ultimately her last family member in which she had a relationship was killed by a texting driver. My co-worker was DEVASTATED. She ultimately took sanctioned mental health holiday. Our benevolent boss was openly saying “I don’t know why she won’t just suck it up. I need her here!”

This is why I am so glad that I am getting the positive vibe here! Thank you very much!

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep your head up my friend. I’m a veteran who has battled PTSD and anxiety. I had some pretty dark days a few years ago and seriously had to go get some help for it. That was the best thing I ever did. I’ve learned to manage much better.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to go, Dumpy!

Wanting to get better, wanting people to know it’s okay to want to get better! Followed of course by the eventual getting better!

THAT, Brother D, is the sort of courage that will lead not only you, but others, to heal through treatment.

I work in a field where I deal with a lot of psychological injuries, and have a child battling some darkness. I can say that in each case I’ve been around, I’ve seen that treatment is effective. Every single one.

We need better accessibility to mental health care in a proactive way, and, you sir, are taking steps to help not only yourself, but others. It’s noble.

Best to you on your journey.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am on a new anti-anxiety drug that is designed to be in your system on a 24 hour basis along with upping the dosage of my main antidepressant medication. I need to not be afraid of reinjuring myself and get off my lazy bum and exercise hard again. I know: build up slow. I know I always felt better exercising. I also want to get back on the ice and frustrate twerps who think they can snipe like MacDavid LOL

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Way to go, Dumpy!

Wanting to get better, wanting people to know it’s okay to want to get better! Followed of course by the eventual getting better!

THAT, Brother D, is the sort of courage that will lead not only you, but others, to heal through treatment.

I work in a field where I deal with a lot of psychological injuries, and have a child battling some darkness. I can say that in each case I’ve been around, I’ve seen that treatment is effective. Every single one.

We need better accessibility to mental health care in a proactive way, and, you sir, are taking steps to help not only yourself, but others. It’s noble.

Best to you on your journey.
I appreciate the kind words.

So many people feel backed into a corner with the stuff in their mind plus their current life situation. I even felt that way. I am a proud man, and have been successful in some endeavors, so I found myself saying “If I knew how to fix it, I would as I HATE feeling this way!” Well, if we knew how to fix it, we wouldn’t be where we are.

Thanks again.

AgentGreen

Reaction score
Just to add, you're doing the right thing, all the best to you and others seeking help. I've had two periods in my life when I went to see a psychologist, both times I felt like I've just leveled up in a video game and my character (me) had all these new skills. Both times I've done it too late, when I was already in a crisis. Hope there won't be a third time, but if there is then I think I'll go before it becomes a crisis.

Ian S

Reaction score
Great stuff, lots of love and compassionate understanding in here. What we all need for sure. Kudos Dumpy for sharing your perspective, and encouraging others to deal with the task if it befalls them. People DO need to hear and share this message.

I also feel a kinship with you, and enjoy your sense of humor. PM anytime for venting or rambling or whatever, I'd be glad to listen. Keep your stick on the ice! : )

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keep your head up my friend. I’m a veteran who has battled PTSD and anxiety. I had some pretty dark days a few years ago and seriously had to go get some help for it. That was the best thing I ever did. I’ve learned to manage much better.
My father-in-law (may he rest in peace) used to say “Keep your pecker up”, in which I gave a quizzical look. My wife immediately knew why and interjected “Dad is talking about your NOSE! Translation is ‘keep yer chin up, Dumpy!” Thanks for the kind words, and I will heed what you say. Just reminds me of that story I tell and it makes me smile.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reactions: JDA

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great stuff, lots of love and compassionate understanding in here. What we all need for sure. Kudos Dumpy for sharing your perspective, and encouraging others to deal with the task if it befalls them. People DO need to hear and share this message.

I also feel a kinship with you, and enjoy your sense of humor. PM anytime for venting or rambling or whatever, I'd be glad to listen. Keep your stick on the ice! : )
Every time my stick was off the ice, I either missed a goal or let one in! Lesson learnt!

I appreciate it, Ian!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to add, you're doing the right thing, all the best to you and others seeking help. I've had two periods in my life when I went to see a psychologist, both times I felt like I've just leveled up in a video game and my character (me) had all these new skills. Both times I've done it too late, when I was already in a crisis. Hope there won't be a third time, but if there is then I think I'll go before it becomes a crisis.
You’re 100% right. I always could get the rational voice to take over, but that voice is getting a bit too quiet.

Everything is a work in progress. I am certain Michelangelo thought there were a few things he could have tweaked on the Sistine Chapel painting. It never ends; we need to embrace that!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great (and admirable) that you openly have discussed this here. Know that you have support here! I think that one of the components that are very important in support for any issue is from your peers. You are a great addition to our forum. All the best on your health Journey!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's great (and admirable) that you openly have discussed this here. Know that you have support here! I think that one of the components that are very important in support for any issue is from your peers. You are a great addition to our forum. All the best on your health Journey!
I do appreciate the kind words.

It is hard in the days of Covid for people who need support; after all- I have known more than a couple people who fell off the wagon as far as being alcoholics, as the dynamics of a group changing can wreck the efficacy. How accountable can you be to a group that now you see on a Zoom meeting, especially if you notice one is not wearing pants?

At this point in life, I am also trying to kill the shaming that happens, as well as the whispers. I let my hair customers know that I see a shrink in trying to encourage them to see someone *if* they aren’t too judgmental. Some of them I won’t let in that much.

I am grateful to you and all of the other fantastic members here!