O.T.: PSA, and a serious one

loser_wizard

Reaction score
Great thread, Dumpy. Very healthy to normalize mental health. I have PTSD from childhood abuse. Didn't even realize I had an abusive upbringing until I was in my 30s. I think it's pretty normal for people with trauma to try to deal with mental health alone, when really there are a lot of folks with varying challenges. I avoided seeing dentists and doctors for general health until these past few years, because you get used to taking care of yourself when you are raised to see other people as a constant threat. I've told every single health care provider now that I have PTSD, even my dentist, lol. It's good for them know, as they may not understand why someone might choose to protect their trauma over doing what's healthy... and some of their patients may not even realize they themselves have PTSD, and I feel like me being open about it might help normalize the whole thing. Mental health is part of health care.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great thread, Dumpy. Very healthy to normalize mental health. I have PTSD from childhood abuse. Didn't even realize I had an abusive upbringing until I was in my 30s. I think it's pretty normal for people with trauma to try to deal with mental health alone, when really there are a lot of folks with varying challenges. I avoided seeing dentists and doctors for general health until these past few years, because you get used to taking care of yourself when you are raised to see other people as a constant threat. I've told every single health care provider now that I have PTSD, even my dentist, lol. It's good for them know, as they may not understand why someone might choose to protect their trauma over doing what's healthy... and some of their patients may not even realize they themselves have PTSD, and I feel like me being open about it might help normalize the whole thing. Mental health is part of health care.
Thank you for sharing your story.

It’s tough to find the courage to speak up as none of us who suffer asked to suffer from mental illness and therefore also didn’t ask for the judgment that sometimes accompanies mental illness.

Michael M.

Reaction score
Thanks Soo much LZ !! I just realized that I have PTSD for the same reason. Now what do I do ?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will testify right now that drumming has given me a little bit of an escape. You are in the moment playing drums, not really worrying about the cares of the day, just trying to get the breaks right on a particular part. Phil Collins has been my savior when it comes to that. It takes your mind off of things when you’re trying to nail when he splashes the hi hat opposed to a quick opening. His recorded drumming was truly brilliant between 1979 and 1983.

I almost went off into a tangent. Anyway- this is a lifelong self-improvement project to get my head right that requires constant maintenance. If you’re not okay, it’s okay. Just get help. And I am practicing what I preach.

Michael M.

Reaction score
I will testify right now that drumming has given me a little bit of an escape. You are in the moment playing drums, not really worrying about the cares of the day, just trying to get the breaks right on a particular part. Phil Collins has been my savior when it comes to that. It takes your mind off of things when you’re trying to nail when he splashes the hi hat opposed to a quick opening. His recorded drumming was truly brilliant between 1979 and 1983.

I almost went off into a tangent. Anyway- this is a lifelong self-improvement project to get my head right that requires constant maintenance. If you’re not okay, it’s okay. Just get help. And I am practicing what I preach.
Yes, I'm going to start working on it Monday.It's a must do thing at this point. I feel like I'm a fuse with a bit too much current going through it. I'm also a respiratory patient, and I've been in a self imposed lockdown for 15 months. THAT is not helping the situation at all. Drums and playing keep me going. And my dog. If it weren't for her .... I just don't know. Can't sleep again tonight so I'm cleaning cymbals. Hang in there Dumpy, I'm going to get on it Monday. And thanks for hollering at me.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mental Health is a hugely neglected area in many people's lives in many societies. The World is telling you to do more, take on more, work harder and be a 'disruptor' (I hate that word). You can only go so far. My burnout hit me at 38 years of age and I started having black out anxiety attacks whenever I got stuck in a traffic jam. I couldn't breath, vision began to get fuzzy, sweating, the whole nine yards. I don't wish this on anyone. And the worst of the problem is 'you can't explain it to other people' to understand it, cause you don't understand it. I would have to drive in the farthest left lane with my window open to look away from the stand still traffic on my right side, front and back 3 lanes deep. This went on and on and I sought help too. I'm pretty sure it's 'a lack of control' issue that triggered it for me, but conversation about it & medication was able to help. But I also think it involves an innate fear of death we all have within ourselves. That's not gonna be discussed here. But, let me just say, where we started about not neglecting your mental health, don't neglect you spiritual health either. It helps.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for being vulnerable with us. That took a lot of courage - and care - and your message is much appreciated.

Like other forum members, I’ve had my share of mental health issues at different times in my life. Thanks to professional help, I’ve been able to navigate tougher times successfully.

I hope everyone can realize there’s strength in asking for help.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As we wake on this Easter or Renewal Day, this is just a reminder that we get a second chance at things. We can leave religion out of this and call it the “Day of Renewal”. We keep getting chances until the day we leave the earth. We also have to remember that being okay mentally is not a one and done proposition.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really tasteful selection of cymbals here . Can you hear the rivets ?