O.T. Songs written about people you don’t know?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since we were on the subject of Sherrie with Steve Perry, I thought I would share stories about songs I have written or co-written about girls I only had one or two interactions with.
Yes- it sounds super-weird to some people, but the secret of artistry is to find an inspiration where others see nothing. In both cases, there was literally nothing as far as relationships went, no consummation (or even threats of that), just a chance meeting that inspired a tune.
I mentioned the song “Girls Like You” in the Steve Perry thread. My band mates and I saw this hottie and I said “I could write a whole album about her. She’s a girl guys write songs about.”
The next one was “Emma Jane”. I only knew her first name, and “Jane” made for good lyrical devise. I saw her twice ever. Each time I saw her, I had a whole fantasy about a torrid affair, but knew that a) I am still with Mrs. Dumpy and b) fantasy was ALWAYS better than reality. “She gave me whiplash as she walked on by” was a very accurate statement. Oddly enough, my wife was 100% okay with the song. She said “I’d rather you write a song about a bird than shag her!”, and even loved the song! I saw this girl twice EVER (as she frequents a store I used to go to), and then I moved from that town. Fantasy is ALWAYS better than reality...
Any stories like this to share?

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a song writer much but once in a blue moon I can pull stuff out of my keister if so inspired and not pressured to do so.

I never felt inspired about songs written about women but I don't knock them, folks like what they like and certain things trigger me with lyrics.

I wrote a song eh... 25 years ago called "the stars are laughing at me", never put it to music and doubt I ever will. It was about a weird time when I was younger and doing the family/dad thing mostly and struggled a little with the pressure and responsibility.

Outside of that my bucket list has me writing a book, it's going to be titled "a log, a creek and a mouse". I have the structure outlined and thoughts of it's components, where it starts and how it ventures toward the end and while it sounds like a kids book it's probably going to wind up being in parts strongly sociopolitical and inward reflective.

lol - sorry if I'm coming off like the turd in the punchbowl, back to the girls!

:p

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a song writer much but once in a blue moon I can pull stuff out of my keister if so inspired and not pressured to do so.

I never felt inspired about songs written about women but I don't knock them, folks like what they like and certain things trigger me with lyrics.

I wrote a song eh... 25 years ago called "the stars are laughing at me", never put it to music and doubt I ever will. It was about a weird time when I was younger and doing the family/dad thing mostly and struggled a little with the pressure and responsibility.

Outside of that my bucket list has me writing a book, it's going to be titled "a log, a creek and a mouse". I have the structure outlined and thoughts of it's components, where it starts and how it ventures toward the end and while it sounds like a kids book it's probably going to wind up being in parts strongly sociopolitical and inward reflective.

lol - sorry if I'm coming off like the turd in the punchbowl, back to the girls!

:p
It’s still a good contribution!

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wrote a song about a girl back in my early 20's..never released it to anybody...it was about an old girlfriend..then, she married my best friend and died a year later..I decided never to sing it to anybody...I ended up changing all of the words and our current band is recording it soon..

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm....
I can write stuff that's just a good story, Somebody wants me (dead)...about an FBI informant, or 21 Tombstones, about a thief who has to hide his loot after he kills someone during a robbery (21 tombstones but only 1 dead man, who went for his gun when I told him to raise his hands).

But..I've written stuff about girls...at my last job I had a huge crush on a coworker (flash forward, after my divorce I asked her out, I'm not her type) which lead me to write "(I just want your) Company"...a bunch of work/love word play "you don't have to worry about the competition, cuz i'm all about brand loyalty and avoiding litigation"

I think a lot of my stuff is just confessional..."I drink bad coffee with good girls, but all that does is keep me up, wondering about the world...."

I wish I could sing.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked that after the fact Paul McCartney found out there was a real Eleanor Rigby buried in Liverpool Cemetery.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once stayed in a B&B in rural Georgia (USA) that was I told was Ole Dan Tucker's house. There is an old traditional song written about him. It is as close as I have ever gotten to knowing anyone who had a song assuming the story is true