o.t. To the Moon, Alice!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
9:32 am (EDT) Today - 50 years ago - three guys started on a little trip that changed history - and proved the moon wasn't made of cheese.

Nasa . gov has all kinds of things on its web site.

Nasatv is airing interviews with Buzz and Michael at 9:15 from Launchpad 39A.

Fun to watch since I missed it the first time around.

- edit - I had the time wrong. corrected.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was laying on the sofa having just returned from the hospital with a brand new set of stitches ... I was an active young kid and we didn’t have safe spaces back then.
I remember watching that broadcast and thinking to myself ... how did we do that? It’s so far. And the usual question hit me ... How do they pee in that suit?

Many years later, I was able to ask NASA that question ... the answer freaked me out.

Here’s a nice write up I located online for the curious.

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was 10 years old and remember that day like it was yesterday. I was fascinated by the manned space program, following every mission from launch until splashdown. We didn't have a color TV at the time so our neighbors invited us over to watch the launch on their floor console color TV. That week was one of the most exciting times of my youth.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have a neat display at Grand Turks. That was the splashdown location for a few of the earlier missions.

C3F7E40E-4E64-42CF-8F52-15E2E731CBFC.jpeg

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We were there about a week before launch for the Space Center tour. We saw it on the launch pad. A great memory

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did some work contracting for NASA a few years ago ... several very diverse projects ... equipment design, parts assembly, video shorts for NASA TV, and a few other items.
As a way of thanking me, they brought over a rack box that was to be flown up to the ISS for me to sign. They wanted me to share the honor of having my signature on something that was to be mounted in the International Space Station (ISS).
I was blown away.
So, here’s some well edited pics of me putting my goofy name on the equipment.
It has since been flown up to the ISS and is now installed.
It’s a pretty cool thing to consider ... all those years ago, sitting on the sofa and marveling at the astronauts in space ... and now, my name is on a piece of equipment in space for working hand in hand with the very group that inspired me all those years ago.
It really hit me pretty hard ... this was a special anniversary for me.

C0585A7B-435F-403F-B9AF-E0B1CBC4015A.jpeg

83DDE3A4-52FE-4486-A842-EF7751A06FC8.jpeg

4E2651DD-74D6-4832-95A5-F9DE98CED523.jpeg

Last edited:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I was 19 at the time. My girlfriend and I were snuggled on the couch in her folks house, watching it happen. I think it was around 11:00 in the evening eastern time when Armstrong climbed down the stairs...

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, through the infinite vacuum of space, through all three Van Allen Belts and every single layer of our atmosphere without delay. Pretty impressive.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I had really bad claustrophobia back then. I could not imagine being that confined for that long and heading about 230,000 miles away. The astronauts were expected to see an amazing universe. Turned out that the star of the show was earth. Remember the 5 iron that went for miles? Ace

DanC

Reaction score
Wow, through the infinite vacuum of space, through all three Van Allen Belts and every single layer of our atmosphere without delay. Pretty impressive.

And today we get back signals from satellites that are millions of miles away, and send instructions to the Mars rover.....

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And today we get back signals from satellites that are millions of miles away, and send instructions to the Mars rover.....
Well, that is what they tell you anyways.

....unless you personally are receiving messages from millions of miles away or controlling the Mars rover?

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, that's what my tinfoil hat is for...
Ah, the ad hominem logical fallacy. The last refuge of those intellectually bankrupt in the trivium.

If this were High School debate club the judges would deduct you points for that.

DanC

Reaction score
Why do you assume that I was referring to you?

The remark was meant to be self-deprecating.

My feelings are now hurt, and an apology would make the pain go away....

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why do you assume that I was referring to you?

The remark was mean to be self-deprecating.

My feelings are now hurt, and an apology would make the pain go away....
I am sorry DanC, please accept my apology.