O.T. USPS - Update on their service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The pandemic’s e-commerce shipping surge propelled the U.S. Postal Service to better-than-expected financial fortunes in the second quarter, the agency reported Friday, but its governing board and Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said they would press forward with service cuts.
Here are four takeaways from the Friday’s board session:
Mail service remains poor
When the board last met, in February, governors attributed the mail service’s generationally bad on-time performance during the holiday season to vicious package volumes, employees out on leave because of the pandemic and entrenched problems with the agency’s processing network. And they said that service would improve in the next quarter.
Well, service got worse.
In the quarter that ended Dec. 31, the Postal Service delivered 78.4 percent of first-class mail on time, well short of the internal goal of 96 percent. In the quarter that ended March 31, that number dipped to 78.1 percent.
As USPS delays persist, bills, paychecks and medications are getting stuck in the mail
By the percentages, that is basically flat. But in the real world, that is hundreds of thousands of first-class items — bills, paychecks, prescriptions — that did not arrive on time. And that’s fueled complaints from mail customers who’ve gotten dinged on their credit scores or incurred late fees because of bills that got stuck in the mail.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news....I mailed an amended tax return to the IRS in August (return rcpt requested, they got it). Spoke to an IRS person on Friday, it has not been scanned into the system yet....I shouldn't send another...they are really that back upped...it was suggested I ask again in 6 weeks to 2 months. They were shut down from March to August as I recall...my electronicky submitted 2020 tax return sailed right thru.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted here before that my Mother retired from the Postal service and she was always quite proud of the on time delivery and accuracy they had. If she were alive today, this sort of news would make her very sad.
Of course we are in unusual times, what with the pandemic. I'm sure things will get much better as we get through all of this.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news....I mailed an amended tax return to the IRS in August (return rcpt requested, they got it). Spoke to an IRS person on Friday, it has not been scanned into the system yet....I shouldn't send another...they are really that back upped...it was suggested I ask again in 6 weeks to 2 months. They were shut down from March to August as I recall...my electronicky submitted 2020 tax return sailed right thru.
Same , no more snail mail . everything electronic ,much more efficient and cost free.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You forgot the "don't get political" caveat when posting a topic with nothing but political undertones.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Imagine if I built a house of straw in front of the public. Everyone knows it will collapse, nobody steps in (because reason xyz) and I go oooops, yet find a way to profit from it.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ordered something off Reverb on May 1 from a city that is 13 hours away from my house. There was a needless delay on the shipper's part, but it got off finally on May 5 via USPS and it is still not here. Tracking for the last 5 days only shows that it has left Texas and will be arriving late.
On the other "stick", I ordered some things from Steve Weiss Music on May 4 in Philly (also about 13 hours), and it got here in three days via UPS.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is very odd here.
Our mail flows nicely where I live. We aren't really dealing with the stuff talked about.
Not sure what to say.
I recall having one thing slowed ... but it was going to a state known to have plenty more issues than the postal service. So, I wrote that one off as "ops nml".
Our postal service is sailing along smoothly here.
They are polite and go out of their way to help.
Our in-state mail service is extremely quick. We send a metric ton of in-state mail via our businesses. Quite a bit of it is time sensitive (for legal reasons). I don't believe we've had much of any issues to report. No delays. No lost envelopes or packages.
This has to be a location thing ... state by state.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my experience, over the past 5 years more or less, the USPS has metamorphosed from automatic to mind boggling incompetence on multiple levels.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could even guess how many checks I mail out a month to the suppliers for where I work.
It seems like at least once a month I have to deal with a missing check that was mailed out and never made it.

I haven't had the funniest problem for a while (knock on wood):
One of the locations we mail checks to is in Russia, OHIO - U.S.A. (anyone see what's coming?)
We've been notified a couple times that they never received the check.
After about 6-8 months we received the mailed check back labeled as "undeliverable, Address not recognized" after it had gone to Russia, RUSSIA aka U.S.S.R.
All this despite using the standard, correct, form for domestically addressed mail. :scratch: :dontknow:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think I could even guess how many checks I mail out a month to the suppliers for where I work.
It seems like at least once a month I have to deal with a missing check that was mailed out and never made it.

I haven't had the funniest problem for a while (knock on wood):
One of the locations we mail checks to is in Russia, OHIO - U.S.A. (anyone see what's coming?)
We've been notified a couple times that they never received the check.
After about 6-8 months we received the mailed check back labeled as "undeliverable, Address not recognized" after it had gone to Russia, RUSSIA aka U.S.S.R.
All this despite using the standard, correct, form for domestically addressed mail. :scratch: :dontknow:
Haha! I thought sending mail to the wrong state was bad enough. But, the wrong hemisphere?

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems to be across the board.
Fedx took two weeks to deliver a package I sent to Sabian and it's taking about the same amount of time for them to send it in transit back.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Leaving thread intact for the sake of the info, but please remember that how you frame the info you share will often determine whether the discussion goes political or not. In this case, it’s definitely pointed that way with a couple of posts already having to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.