O.T. Where’s Dumpy?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In case it matters to anyone, my mother’s ill, my dad is losing his marbles and my poor wife has been dealing with pain management issues. Really need the house quieter in consideration of her. Just need to get my lazy rear end to the drum room, throw on mesh heads and the L80’s. But I have been too busy at my job(s) to do that and my escape is now a 5 month huff’n’puff hockey league where I play goal with very talented people over 50 mostly (with a few youngsters thrown in to make us feel old). Just ain’t feeling drums at the moment. I know that they will patiently wait for me.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, a temporary break from the drums is a good thing. You remember how much they mean to you. And when you do return, there's that flood of creativity that pours out. It's a nice time getting reaquainted.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drums, sports and other activities are great, and maybe even necessary for our well being, but family always comes first. As the man of the house, you need to stay strong for others right now. Your time will come back again. Hang in there, and pop in when you can, there are always plenty of OT stuff to jump into.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I had noticed that you'd gone from prolific poster to nothing :D, was almost going to make an enquiry but you beat me to it. Sorry to hear your family stuff going on but glad you're still alive and well and wish you the best for it all. At your age drums will be safer for you than Hockey :).

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Believe it or not, a temporary break from the drums is a good thing. You remember how much they mean to you. And when you do return, there's that flood of creativity that pours out. It's a nice time getting reaquainted.
You’re a wise person. I truly appreciate what you contribute here in this community.

I tend to get more creativity out of “How would Dumpy play this song?” I am not much of a soloist or a time keeper, but rather try to play nearly like a melodic instrument that is the glue between the bass and leads. Time keepers and soloists are GREAT, and I feel like Peart treated the instrument as a melodic instrument, though he was a fantastic time keeper and soloist.
Who knows where the next rhythmic adventures I come up with next.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had noticed that you'd gone from prolific poster to nothing :D, was almost going to make an enquiry but you beat me to it. Sorry to hear your family stuff going on but glad you're still alive and well and wish you the best for it all. At your age drums will be safer for you than Hockey :).
Some days I feel like nothing LOL

All this stuff is temporary in the big pic. One day, I will even miss hearing my dad forget the name of common household objects and my mother’s sharp words for our spouses. But I am getting to know my father as he was NEVER much about telling stories from his youth and my mother is quite appreciative of what everybody does for her, even though we don’t spend near enough time LOL. My parents are actually very interesting people!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drums, sports and other activities are great, and maybe even necessary for our well being, but family always comes first. As the man of the house, you need to stay strong for others right now. Your time will come back again. Hang in there, and pop in when you can, there are always plenty of OT stuff to jump into.
Wise words. Thank you.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Some days I feel like nothing LOL

All this stuff is temporary in the big pic. One day, I will even miss hearing my dad forget the name of common household objects and my mother’s sharp words for our spouses. But I am getting to know my father as he was NEVER much about telling stories from his youth and my mother is quite appreciative of what everybody does for her, even though we don’t spend near enough time LOL. My parents are actually very interesting people!
I did mean nothing as in no posts :). Elderly parents aren't without their challenges, something life doesn't tell you about and then suddenly it sort of sneaks up on you.

It's difficult watching them struggle with things that would have just been routine for them once, but we have to be there for them and ride out their ups and downs, hopefully keeping their existence as happy and smooth as possible for them in the process.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did mean nothing as in no posts :). Elderly parents aren't without their challenges, something life doesn't tell you about and then suddenly it sort of sneaks up on you.

It's difficult watching them struggle with things that would have just been routine for them once, but we have to be there for them and ride out their ups and downs, hopefully keeping their existence as happy and smooth as possible for them in the process.
I’m messing about “nothing”.

Like I said, there are all the little annoyances, but they had to change my diaper when I was a kid. It all evens out in the end!

Redfern

Reaction score
@Dumpy right there with you buddy...it’s been a hectic year down here as well, almost lost my girlfriend to a missed tumor, her mother died a few weeks ago very unexpectedly and I haven’t had the real time to play either. Life is one random piece of work. I just keep telling myself to hang in there, that it’ll all come back around. That’s why I love this forum so much. Even if I can’t play em, I can talk about drums. And strangely, you guys listen. Much love, Dumpy...

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@Dumpy right there with you buddy...it’s been a hectic year down here as well, almost lost my girlfriend to a missed tumor, her mother died a few weeks ago very unexpectedly and I haven’t had the real time to play either. Life is one random piece of work. I just keep telling myself to hang in there, that it’ll all come back around. That’s why I love this forum so much. Even if I can’t play em, I can talk about drums. And strangely, you guys listen. Much love, Dumpy...
All we can do is hang in. They are inanimate objects, so providing your home is secure, they will patiently wait for you. These events can’t wait. You are needed right now.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dumpy and Red Fern, sorry to hear of both your family's struggles. I wish I had the words (and power) to make it all better. But what I do have is a sincere heart felt empathy for you both. Family (and life) is tough at times, but always worth it.

Stay strong for your loved ones to lean on and we will do our best to provide a little escape from time to time for your own mental health. As you say, the drums will welcome you back when it's time. But do remember, play when you can find a second... it's good medicine.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Dumpy and Red Fern, sorry to hear of both your family's struggles. I wish I had the words (and power) to make it all better. But what I do have is a sincere heart felt empathy for you both. Family (and life) is tough at times, but always worth it.

Stay strong for your loved ones to lean on and we will do our best to provide a little escape from time to time for your own mental health. As you say, the drums will welcome you back when it's time. But do remember, play when you can find a second... it's good medicine.
Appreciate the nice words. I have been collecting more Hotwheels and Matchbox.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sorry man. Take care of your family first and do what feels right.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the nice words. I have been collecting more Hotwheels and Matchbox.

You know it!!!!!! We two are partnof the the luckiest on the board... we get to play drums AND with you cars!!!!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a mother in law & step father in law with lung cancer & dementia respectively. I also collect hot wheels & the old Lesney superfast matchbox. Hang in there man!
These things are harder on the children and their families than then people in question in many cases. You and yours hang in, yourselves!