O.T. Who has wrapped their own car?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Several trucks ago I got tboned and just kept the money. Bought a used bed for $400 and my father in law swamped it out. Was same color except had a striped on bottom. A coworker husband worked at a place that did wraps. It was going to be $1500 just to a stripe on bottom. I thought about diy but never got to it. Not sure you said how much of the car you are wrapping but I would start small and do the hood if you can.

How much is diy going to run you compared to pro?

Considerably cheaper. But like all professional services, supplies are but a small part of the cost. Car paint is relatively cheap, but all of the other steps involved make up much of the cost.

I am probably going to wrap a few more goalie sticks and slightly larger items and determine whether or not this isn’t something I want to tackle. I have decided that I really don’t want to wrap the entire car, anyway.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Sorry, but I had no idea that wrapping a car was a thing.

What's wrong with the paint?

If that's your focus, well, there's obviously not much else going on. It's just a car.

Is it like tatts on a human?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Wraps are cheaper and less permanent than paint if graphics are involved.

Even though I don't think it would work well in real life, I'm surprised we haven't seen wraps as getaway car disguise in movies yet. Rob the bank, get away, peel off the wrap.

Lazmo

Reaction score

Even though I don't think it would work well in real life, I'm surprised we haven't seen wraps as getaway car disguise in movies yet. Rob the bank, get away, peel off the wrap.

Have seen that in a movie where they washed off the fake water based paint, then got away.

Lazmo

Reaction score
Yeah, but Hollywood is all about rehashing old ideas in new form.

Hollywood is so completely predictable, that even hearing the music from another room (because I cannot stand to watch that drivel) will trumpet what is about to happen. Just totally pathetic. Give me something original, from almost anywhere else in the world to watch. At least I won't be able to predict the outcome when the obvious outcome clincher clue is doled up between 8 to 12 minutes into the tripe.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score

If it came off super-easy…

But hide the car for a few hours, it could be (and likely has been) done.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I had no idea that wrapping a car was a thing.

What's wrong with the paint?

If that's your focus, well, there's obviously not much else going on. It's just a car.

Is it like tatts on a human?

I just want to change it up a bit. Gets boring staring at the same old car.

Fess

Reaction score
8D94F2AD-F1A7-4EC8-A687-74F38CCE480D.jpeg

There is always the Chia Pet option

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just paid off my 2017 Kia Niro. Not an exotic by any means. It’s in decent shape, but I just want to change it up as I will own it for awhile. New wheels and tires are in the process, but I think a wrap would complete it, but I don’t want to pay $2K for something IF I could do it myself and I am decently handy.

Any recommendations? Hints? Pitfalls?
Maybe if it was a Cube.

Kevin77

Reaction score
I just paid off my 2017 Kia Niro. Not an exotic by any means. It’s in decent shape, but I just want to change it up as I will own it for awhile. New wheels and tires are in the process, but I think a wrap would complete it, but I don’t want to pay $2K for something IF I could do it myself and I am decently handy.

Hey Dumpy, We wrap vehicles. It would be a challenge on your own, for the first time. Experience is the key. Youtube helps. $2000 is about 2/3 of what it is worth. Not dissing anyone, but be careful. Premium material is worth it. Removability is important. Super clean surface is vital, especially the edges that are hard to clean and that the material will wrap around. If it's hard to clean, it will be hard to guarantee good adhesion. final trim out is key to a good looking job.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Dumpy, We wrap vehicles. It would be a challenge on your own, for the first time. Experience is the key. Youtube helps. $2000 is about 2/3 of what it is worth. Not dissing anyone, but be careful. Premium material is worth it. Removability is important. Super clean surface is vital, especially the edges that are hard to clean and that the material will wrap around. If it's hard to clean, it will be hard to guarantee good adhesion. final trim out is key to a good looking job.

Thanks for that.

I don’t want it to sound like I am devaluing anyone’s profession. I do understand that there are skillsets gained through experience. I am slowly learning all sorts of little things when wrapping my sticks. I have built many failed carbon fibre projects, then built keepers, so I know there is a learning curve for everything. Yes, I know a stick is different in many ways. Now that I see that I am literally one of the few on this forum that has attempted this in the shade tree mechanic skill level, I am now more determined than ever to give it a go! Thanks for the tips, Kevin.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I wrapped it around a telephone pole once"
(no I never did it was more "a farm fence" got in the way..."

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

From what I have seen, the first timer eill need at least 2x as much wrap to allow for “errors”. Unless your Kia is all flat surfaces, save your $$ and pay for it.