Odd/Weird songs you have had to play?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the spirit of "fave/least fave" cover songs, how about odd/unexpected songs that you would never expect to have to learn/play for a gig? Here's a couple for me...

--Safety Dance (Men Without Hats)--for some reason, the guitarist in a past band REALLY liked this tune. It actually didn't turn out too bad...

--Showdown (ELO)--I love ELO but never expected anyone to ever suggest anything from them. It was actually a real fun groove!

--Slackjaw Jezebell (Gov't Mule)--now this one was REAL strange. I had never even heard of it (although I knew GM half-decently). Used to bug me since it was long, and pretty boring, plus, I absolutely guarantee that if I didn't know it, then NO ONE else in the place did either!

What are some strange birds for you all??

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Theme from the Beverly Hillbillies in reggae style

Theme from Law and Order in 12/8 segue into The Beatles " I'm Down "

Name of the band - The Beaverheads . We wore Davey Crockett hats . Keyboard player had a university degree in music , nobody ever asked to see his diploma .

We also did the 45 minute version of Knockin on Heavens Door . Strangely enough, we got hired quite a bit in the early 90's .

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
I got busted in my office by co-workers learning from listening all sorts of pop, Taylor Swift, Zedd, etc...but at the end of the day, it was fun to play...

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Back in '77 I had to learn a set of popular hits by the Coasters & The Platters since my band was backing them at a nightclub in Los Angeles. "Yakidy-Yak" "Charlie Brown" "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" "Only You" etc, etc............

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We did "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show during some gigs around the time of Halloween. It ended up sticking in the setlist going forward.

We also played the Faster Pussycat version of You're so Vain. It's under the radar and people thought it was our own arrangement.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Odd, to me, at least, Take the Long Way Home, I wasn't a SuperTramp fan, loved playing that tune.
One by Three Dog Night, coping the tasty dynamic control by Floyd Sneed makes it build just right .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I used to play the Hokie Pokie in my old band at festivals. I would’ve been fun if it was a parody or something but it wasn’t...
Left that band in ‘10.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d have to say My Sharona by the Knack. My old band played that for years and when the leader first proposed it I was like; are you serious, it is korney but man did it grow on me. First because of the effect it had on the crowd which was almost instantaneous. You know there would be some successful yuppie types sitting at a table drinking Stella and the woman would come alive and drag here boyfriend to the dance floor and they would be pogoing with abandon in no time. Then of course the drums are both cool and unorthodox. Then the whole song is a modern retelling of Nabokov’s Lolita then last the guitar solo is just epic and they end it so well. So yeah, at first I thought it both weird and odd but now just consider it great.

Sharona must have been a Bad Girl.

Last edited:

Santino

Reaction score
Played a fast swing version of Steely Dan's Daddy don't live in that NYC no more. Really liked that one.

Played the Chicken Dance in a polka band in the 70s. Didn't like that one.

Joe61

Reaction score
Blitzkreig Bop the Ramones
Playing for the first time tonight. Hope it doesn't flop.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d have to say My Sharona by the Knack. My old band played that for years and when the leader first proposed it I was like; are you serious, it is korney but man did it grow on me. First because of the effect it had on the crowd which was almost instantaneous. You know there would be some successful yuppie types sitting at a table drinking Stella and the woman would come alive and drag here boyfriend to the dance floor and they would be pogoing with abandon in no time. Then of course the drums are both cool and unorthodox. Then the whole song is a modern retelling of Nabokov’s Lolita then last the guitar solo is just epic and they end it so well. So yeah, at first I thought it both weird and odd but now just consider it great.

Sharona must have been a Bad Girl.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Our singer will randomly start playing the theme to Diff'rent Strokes every now and then. That's probably the weirdest one we do.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had to? No, no, we were volunteers!

With my band XIII PFP-
South of Heaven, by Slayer- we had a horn section... it was glorious.

The Seseame Street Theme song.-- brings down the house.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any Violent Femmes songs. Played them back in the day and didn't like them. Found them to be boring and weird for my taste. Oh and I remember playing Devo's version of Satisfaction, another strange one in my opinion.