Oddball Gretsch Throw-off

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check out the throw-off on this SSB Gretsch snare...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

(sorry but the pictures are copy protected so I couldn't just link them to here or save and post below, so looking at the auction, which I have nothing to do with, is the only way to see it)

Seller claims it is the original Lightning throw but I've never seen one like that. Has anyone else? Is the seller confused (probably) or is this some sort of rare "missing link" Lightning...perhaps an experiment from between when the throw handle was on the side to when it moved to the center?

Kind of a nifty looking throw-off...whatever it is. If it really is a Gretsch part it would be a rare beast.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like the tama imperialstar throw I have on my 79 kingbeat - they kind of ripped off the gretsch throw and offered 3 different throws on the kingbeat around that time.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks like it's the one.
I asked the seller for a close up picture of the throw on the Gretsch. If he sends one I'll post it here.

Nifty looking strainer but a Tama unit on a Gretsch drum is surely going to bring down the value of the drum (as would a Gretsch unit put on an upper end Tama snare). Seller says there are no extra holes...did these two throws just happen to share the same bolt pattern?

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think they could have the same bolt pattern, around that time japanese companies copied most of the major US companies. If it does have the same hole pattern, that = no extra holes! I wish I could find a japanese copy of the micro sensitive with the same hole spacing as the real one... theres no way i'll be able to afford a real one :(

Latest posts