Oddball Slingerland steel snare id help

1988fxlr

Reaction score
A few years ago my grandma found an old traps case in the garbage with a few old zildjians/zilcos, some random hardware pieces, a bunch of old sticks and a Slingerland snare that I haven’t been able to identify.
It has a black and silver Niles badge and tdr strainer snd butt plate but I can’t find a match in any Slingerland catalog I’ve been able to find. It is 5x14”, ten lug, stick chopper hoops, no tone control, 3 vents including the badge, tdr setup, and a chromed steel seamed shell.

The shell doesn’t have a flanges bearing edge like most metal drums, but rather a bent over flat second layer of steel about 1/2” at either head. It sounds pretty good and the price was definitely right, but just curious if anyone knows what it is or if its some sort of extra parts drum.

thanks in advance

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting drum! I'm scratching my head with this one! The serial number dates it to around 1976-77, when the TDR strainer began to appear on more snare drums. The turned-over edges tell me that this is a lower-priced No. 141 Festival snare drum. But, the addition of 3 air vents and TDR strainer seem out of place here! One possible scenario is that an assembler put together a drum with parts, and shell, that he had on hand.

A true TDR chrome-shelled drum would almost certainly be COB. Also, I'm not even sure that "Stick Chopper" hoops were even available in 1976-77. Maybe the hoops were installed at a later time? Regardless, it's always fun to find mysterious and non-cataloged drums! If it sounds good, just play it and enjoy it!

-Mark

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Yeah. This ones weird. It has most of the features of the buddy rich model snare from the 1976 catalog, which does list straight edge hoops as on option, but no steel shell and pictures a tone control. Its a strange mix of top of the line and bottom of the line. I do wish it had a tone control though, the steel is a little “lively” for a small room

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd guess it's a late '70s Buddy Rich model 192 that they sent out with a steel (festival) shell, and the store or buyer never noticed it wasn't brass.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I'm with Rich K., '75-'76 BR model #192 with a Festival #142 steel shell. Any extra holes, particularly behind the snare butt? Quite the oddity. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/slingerland/1976_slingerland_catalog_2.jpg
No extra holes, everything has about the same amount of age to it visually. Seems strange that it has no tone control. I wonder if it was a custom order or a monday morning/friday afternoon drum