Of all things, a hardware rant

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Looking at that stand, I'm wondering if Ludwig exhumed Nazi Germany's weapons engineering team?
Talk about engineered to a problem that doesn't exist!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah a few of my brethren have mentioned Yamaha, Tama or Pearl for hardware. I have to agree. And for rack equipment, I’ve played Gibraltar for 15 years and have never had a problem.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yeah, I like to be brand matchy with drums and hardware sometimes and I tried the “all Ludwig” setup with my Club Dates. Atlas was a big fail. I was bummed, because it looks great and they did a nice job with fit/finish, the little Ludwiggy touches etc. but the feel and function was all wrong for me. The last straw was the goofy bottom hat tilter, I gave up the fight.

If there’s a theme to the Atlas hardware I would say it’s senseless over-engineering or sometimes just weird-engineering. It seems they were trying to set them apart from the competition by doing things “differently” - that’s great if it has a purpose and a well thought out design, not so great if it’s just because. Sometimes the old way is the best way. Of course, sometimes it’s just hard to adjust to new gear… but sometimes there’s no benefit to making the adjustment.

Im a Tama hardware fan, they seem to focus on function and longevity. A lot of their gear uses a classic design with modern improvements. Everything does what it’s supposed to do without any fuss.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Yeah, I like to be brand matchy with drums and hardware sometimes and I tried the “all Ludwig” setup with my Club Dates. Atlas was a big fail. I was bummed, because it looks great and they did a nice job with fit/finish, the little Ludwiggy touches etc. but the feel and function was all wrong for me. The last straw was the goofy bottom hat tilter, I gave up the fight.

If there’s a theme to the Atlas hardware I would say it’s senseless over-engineering or sometimes just weird-engineering. It seems they were trying to set them apart from the competition by doing things “differently” - that’s great if it has a purpose and a well thought out design, not so great if it’s just because. Sometimes the old way is the best way. Of course, sometimes it’s just hard to adjust to new gear… but sometimes there’s no benefit to making the adjustment.

Im a Tama hardware fan, they seem to focus on function and longevity. A lot of their gear uses a classic design with modern improvements. Everything does what it’s supposed to do without any fuss.
I also got all new Atlas Classic hardware when it came out. The boom stand stripped so I can’t use it as a boom. I keep it for practice rooms, it is too heavy to lug around. I went with the DW ultra light, but it is too flimsy. I love the Yamaha CrossTown hardware the best out of all. The snare stand holds my 6.5 x14 Black Beauty solidly and holds my rack tom solid as well. The cymbal stands are feather light and sturdy. I even like the hh stand. I still like my Gibraltar telescoping hh stand. I got Pearls flatbase boom stand for my ride. It is fairly light and holds my 21” 602 Heavy. ( and I like Ludwig)

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using the Atlas Pro LAP23SS snare stand (the top-of-the-line with the Pillar Clutch) for eight years, and find it to be the best-engineered, most solidly-built and over all best-performing snare stand I've ever used (since 1967 I've used the original W&A Buck Rogers, the original Ludwig Atlas, and the Pearl S900W).

I've used my Atlas Pro with both a wood Dyna-Sonic (reissue) and a brass-on-brass Black Beauty with cast hoops (a heavy drum), and the stand holds either drum solidly without choking the drum or the bottom head. It's easy to adjust, the adjustments absolutely stay where I set them, and the stand stays put on the floor like it is nailed down. Every one of the other stands I listed "danced-around" when I played strong backbeats, requiring that I reposition the snare drum many times during a set. (The Pearl danced the most.) The Atlas Pro never moves at all under my sticks.

Maybe the stand you got is defective, but I wouldn't trade mine for any other snare stand made anywhere by anybody.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same model, this is the LAP23SS that I like so much:

View attachment 511439
WAAAYY too complicated for me!

219Dave

Reaction score
The Yamaha ss-950 is insanely good. I now utilize all yamaha 800 and 900 series stands. They are fantastic. This is on a home/studio kit that can be heavy.

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also got all new Atlas Classic hardware when it came out. The boom stand stripped so I can’t use it as a boom. I keep it for practice rooms, it is too heavy to lug around. I went with the DW ultra light, but it is too flimsy. I love the Yamaha CrossTown hardware the best out of all. The snare stand holds my 6.5 x14 Black Beauty solidly and holds my rack tom solid as well. The cymbal stands are feather light and sturdy. I even like the hh stand. I still like my Gibraltar telescoping hh stand. I got Pearls flatbase boom stand for my ride. It is fairly light and holds my 21” 602 Heavy. ( and I like Ludwig)
I also have all Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware stands. The flat base stuff. How long did it take from when you bought the boom stand to when it stripped on you; and what size cymbal did you have on it? I have that boom stand for my 22” ride but i never use the boom. I just have it going straight down into the tube. I only got the boom stand just in case i may ever need it.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I also have all Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware stands. The flat base stuff. How long did it take from when you bought the boom stand to when it stripped on you; and what size cymbal did you have on it? I have that boom stand for my 22” ride but i never use the boom. I just have it going straight down into the tube. I only got the boom stand just in case i may ever need it.
Not sure, but definitely less than a year. I was using either. 20” or 22” Rides. Paiste 2002 ride or Fo602 medium rides. I just use it as a straight stand. I’m using a single braced Yamaha 600 series boom stand now.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The best piece of hardware, of any kind, I have ever owned, or played on, is my Pearl snare stand that I bought in the early 2000’s. Double braced but otherwise light weight, simple, bullet proof, with a solid stainless steel U joint 360 degree tilter that says “Patented” on it. No offset, no resin ball, no unnecessary, over-engineered adjustments, nothing to go wrong. It seems Pearl doesn’t have anything like it in their current lineup. Shame!

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but definitely less than a year. I was using either. 20” or 22” Rides. Paiste 2002 ride or Fo602 medium rides. I just use it as a straight stand. I’m using a single braced Yamaha 600 series boom stand now.
thanks. Good tip for me to know. Ya fortunately the stand goes high enough to position my ride where i want, without having to use the boom to go higher. But still a great stand imo

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha's HexRack for my home kit. 900-Series for my gig kits. Regardless of the 13 brands of drums I've owned over the last four decades, Yamaha has been my choice of hardware. The weight of hardware has never bothered me at all. On my home kit I don't even use the snare stand's legs, just the basket, or RIMS mount on other snares, it's suspended on a mount off the HexRack. Don't even have bass drum spurs either, bass is suspended too. Only thing touching the floor are the Rack legs, the cable-hats foot pedals (I run two of them, one left and one right), cow bell and the bass drum foot pedals. It's Yamaha for me. I still have tons of Tama's mighty Titan hardware from when I bought my Imperialstars (still got them) back in the early 80's. They're bomb-proof too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
thanks. Good tip for me to know. Ya fortunately the stand goes high enough to position my ride where i want, without having to use the boom to go higher. But still a great stand imo
You got it. I like them too, it’s just that the Yamaha Crosstown stands are about 1/2 the weight so they travel very well. But I still use the Atlas Classic hardware.

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got it. I like them too, it’s just that the Yamaha Crosstown stands are about 1/2 the weight so they travel very well. But I still use the Atlas Classic hardware.
Wow the Yamahas are half the weight of the Atlas Classics?? The Classics are already pretty light, well lighter compared to Pearl stuff which i was using before. Dang i gotta keep an eye on the Yamaha stuff then.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
My experience with Atlas hardware is that it's all worked fantastic. My flat base stands have held up well, and the lap23ss has been my favorite snare stand. It's big, bulky, and doesn't kill resonance with a rack tom. I like my Atlas hardware (minus the arch system) but I will say that Tama hardware is the best I've ever used, hands down.