OFF TOPIC: IS ANYONE INTO VINTAGE SCHWINN BICYCLES

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been bitten by the vintage Schwinn bug. I picked up an all original blue 1960 Mark IV Jaguar at an auction on Monday. This bike is so cool, all it needed was a good cleaning and a lube job.

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I have. I've had this bike for about 5 years now. It was a lost & found bike where I work that was never claimed. It needed quite a few parts. I bought a second Schwinn Varsity for parts off of craigslist last year. I finally got it on the road last summer and I'm loving it! I'm still looking for a brown one as that was "The Bike" I wanted as a kid!

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
"The Wandering Wheels" rode Schwinn Varsity bikes in the 60s. From Coast to coast. I always wanted one.... probably a little heavier than my 21 speed Denali. But that is just a cheap rode bike, too. Perfect for me, I guess. 59 years old. Go out and ride 20 miles after work. (Playing drums all day.)

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have my out out for old Schwinn bikes all the time, never seem to see any i can afford: (

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there a connection between vintage drums and vintage schwinn's? I have 4 stingray's. Here's the "green machine"!

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a connection between vintage drums and vintage schwinn's? I have 4 stingray's. Here's the "green machine"!
Cleya, That is the coolest. I got a green Stingray for Christmas back in 63-64, rode it to death. I can't really remember what happened to it. You wouldn't want to give that one up would you? :smile:

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Cleya, is that a Stingray? I love the old Stingrays. I am on the lookout for a Schwinn Krate in any color.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first ten-speed was a blue Schwinn Varsity, but I soon graduated to a Peugeot PX-10 which seemed to weigh about 1/4 of the Varsity! Last year I had a red Schwinn Suburban in the "acquire and pass on" category. That was a Varsity without the drop bars, two chainrings, and road saddle. And yeah, it was heavy!

panickjm

Reaction score
I am in the bicycle biz...38 years.
The shop I work for is a 107 year old family owned bike store and has sold Schwinn since the early 30's.
I have several old fat tire bikes and a couple cool road race schwinns as well. The oldest Road bike being a wood rim fixed gear raod racer from the early 40's
I just sold a 1961 5speed Schwinn Corvette.
Stingrays are still gaining value if they are all correct, a lot like vintage drums I'd say.

I could go on and on, but yes I'm sorta into old Schwinns.

Tommy, if I run across a worthy Varsity, I will let you know. They show up from time to time and are affordable still.

John

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of this past season I bought an all original, white, early 1970's Schwinn Tanden from a buddy. I can't wait to get it on the road.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ive had lots of vintage bikes. my first new bike for christmas was a 24 inch schwinn green varsity ten speed in 1975 maybe? dad ordered a red one that never came in but settled for the green one. been my favorite color ever since.

mike

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Schwinn Super Sport with the original Brooks leather saddle and my wife has a nice Varsity. In the 70's I rode to Canada on a Schwinn Continental from central Indiana, Really nice Paramount that crash has, always wanted one of those...........someday