Offer Advice?

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to complete a full set of B/O champagne sparkle toms. I’m only missing a 14x14 and 20x18. A guy online is selling a 20x18 floor and I believe it’s the first I’ve ever seen. With shipping, his asking price is around $850. The drum isn’t perfect by any stretch, but it’s in round and there’s no ply separation. Mainly scuffs, scrapes, fade and peeling wrap. What do you guys think is a fair offer in this condition?

Attachments

thestorysold

Reaction score
I searched Reverb and eBay for sold Ludwig 20x18 listings:

Capture.PNG

1.PNG
<--- this one had the granitone interior.

I personally think $850 is a lot given the condition and the fact it's only one drum, but you're kind of in a tough spot since you're looking for it and there's currently only one. what are you comfortable paying? I'd just offer whatever that number is. I'd say anywhere between $500-600 would be fair based on the few comps that are out there.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig 18x20 floor toms are an odd bird in vintage drum circles.

The feel like they should be rare, but in reality aren’t that rare. They exist in multiples even in rare finishes such as Citrus Mod, Psychedelic Red and the Silk finishes.

There always seems to be several for sale at any given time, and they don’t sell for big money- even the rare finished ones usually only sell in the upper 3 figures.

I wouldn’t pay $850 for that drum. I have seen several in Champagne Sparkle over the years and most 18x20’s seemed to have not been used much and are generally in way better condition than the example you posted.

To me that drum is worth $450 tops. I understand waiting to fill a spot in a collection- but $850 is top dollar and that drum is not a top dollar drum.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's not a great/bright looking champagne sparkle. The edge is an easy fix. I am not sure about the stains - they may or may NOT come out. If you must have that size and/or color, I'd start with $400......

I wonder how much more the price would be if the wrap was clear, shiny and non-damaged?

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
It depends on how bad you want it. Personally I would keep looking and you could probably find one in the $400-500 range. That being said, I’ve over paid for drums I really needed.

Latest posts