Official Aquarian Modern Vintage Thread

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please tell me about your experiences. I'm thinking about doing a bop kit with the thin versions. I see there is series 1,2 and...Deep? Set me straight.

jsp210

Reaction score
I have used both the thin version with a High Frequency resonant side and the medium version with Classic Clear on the bottom and really like them for a wide range of styles.

I currently have the medium and medium that comes with felt strip on my 20" Maple Custom bass drum and it is full of tone.

Mediums would be my preference all around if I had to settle with one

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used them on my N&C Horizon kit .
I used MV Mediums on the rack tom batters and MV II on the Tom batters with Classic Clears on the resonant sides.
The coating is by far the best in the industry and these heads to my ear sound even better once they get played in more . They are very warm sounding heads .

I would not use the thins as batter heads they sound too papery . Medium is the thinnest I would go .

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Backline Rocker kit at my local club has MVs on the toms and sound great. They have been on there for nearly a year now and still sound good. That's 6 hours a night 3 different drummers 7 days a week (or I should say "was") I can't remember which exact models they were and this is the only pic I have.

MV.jpg

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in to say I had these on my kit. Didn't love them on my snare so that one got switched out, but they remain on my toms. They have a warm, round tone, and as NobleCooleyNut indicated, their coating is top notch. These skins still look new after many hours of use.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have MV on my DWs - 4 toms, kick and snare. I really like them for these drums - very warm, and the feel is perfect for me.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using MV's and AV's on my Gretsch toms for years after meeting Roy Burns at PASIC in Dallas. Great sound, great durability. I have three kits, and all have Vintage heads for the toms.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard these need to be played in for a bit. I had
I've been using MV's and AV's on my Gretsch toms for years after meeting Roy Burns at PASIC in Dallas. Great sound, great durability. I have three kits, and all have Vintage heads for the toms.
Mediums?

Tanabata

Reaction score
I like them a lot. Usually I put the medium coated on top, the thin coated on the bottom. Easy to tune, nice tone, nice articulate stick sound and feel. I've liked them for any genre of music.

For playing brushes, I prefer the way Remo coating wears down, and for that reason alone, I keep going back to Remo. The Aquarian coating kinda chips off, leaving a little ledge the brushes have to bump over, the Remo wears down much more smoothly, at least for me.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I had the thin on my 20" bass drum, and didn't get quite the low end I was looking for. Swapped it out for the thicker one with the superkick ring and was happier. I'm curious about the one with the felt strip, I might try it on my 18" kick.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like them a lot. Usually I put the medium coated on top, the thin coated on the bottom. Easy to tune, nice tone, nice articulate stick sound and feel. I've liked them for any genre of music.

For playing brushes, I prefer the way Remo coating wears down, and for that reason alone, I keep going back to Remo. The Aquarian coating kinda chips off, leaving a little ledge the brushes have to bump over, the Remo wears down much more smoothly, at least for me.
That might be the way to go, medium over thin.

Browny

Reaction score
I briefly tried the American Vintage mediums on my Radio King toms....

Latest posts