Official Gretsch Drums Thread

twelvenotes

Reaction score
This is a part of one of my Gretsch kits. Gloss Walnut lacquer. 14x20, 7x10, 8x12, 14x14 and 16x16. Not pictured are 14x24, 14x26 and 18x22 bass drums, an 16x18 floor tom and 9x13 tom. I've got a number of metal snares and a matching 6.5 x 14 USA Custom. My other kit is Cobalt Blue.

I love Gretsch.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
never forget seeing Lenny White- his band- in 1976 Pall's Mall downstairs Jazz Workshop Boston Mass.
Had a Light Blue lacquer Gretsch set. One bass twin toms Three floors.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, here goes... I'm going to attempt to post all five of my Gretsch kits in no particular order... All the kits are early/mid 70s SSB with the exception of my '60 RB Satin Aqua Flame kit.

Besides being beautiful looking and sounding drums, three of the five kits have sentimental value, but they all have a story.

The Midnight Blue Pearl kit was originally in Gold Chrome wrap and Gretsch rewrapped it in MBP. It's a replica of my first Gretsch kit my dad bought me in 1974, which I had refinished as Maple kit in 1979 by Joe MacSweeney of Eames Drums and years later, I foolishly sold. The Black Nitron kit is a replica of a kit I bought in the late 70s and used into the mid 80s, before I foolishly sold that to buy a Simmons kit.

It always bothered me that I sold the kit my dad bought me and I never thought I'd ever be able to find/replace the drum kits that meant so much to me in my younger days, but somehow they found me. In fact, this Black Nitron kit has the original 70s SSB, whereas the kit I bought in the late 70s had square badge, which I never liked. I had the MBP kit set up in my office at Zildjian.

Anyway, thanks for indulging this diehard Gretsch fanatic :)
JD

Attachments

maxb2k

Reaction score
Base said:
Heres what Im playing ion various configurations:

upload pic
Base, yours looks to be the ultimate black nitron fusion kit! Very cool! How is the bass drum hoop on the 22"(?) finished? I'm assuming it's not factory?

Thanks

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread and beautiful drums all around. I'm definitely taking some pics of my crew when I get home later this week.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ron_M said:
Did you try the Remo Classic Fit yet? No experience with it, but the collar is narrower than the American Vintage, and might be your best bet.

Lest we forget, ever try the "new" Evans 360's? I've had good luck with them on hard-to-fit drums, as well as with the American Vintage.

fitzsy

Reaction score
JDA, as we both know, that lovely powder blue gloss from Lenny's kit is now back in the Gretsch catalog.

Fitzsy

Reactions: JDA

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Yes they are all mine!

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I have MORE jazz kits in my hoard but, I'm not going to dominate this thread... others here have beautiful Gretsch kits too so please post them!!!
Asa don't be stingy I for one would love to see all of them in one thread .

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1966bmx said:
Yes they are all mine!

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I have MORE jazz kits in my hoard but, I'm not going to dominate this thread... others here have beautiful Gretsch kits too so please post them!!!
Asa don't be stingy I for one would love to see all of them in one thread .
+1!