Official Gretsch Drums Thread

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been saving this one for today:usa2:. I've had it a few months but don't have any good action shots yet. I've always liked the various patriotic striped drums I've seen, but the common silver sparkle stripe was just off enough to bug me. So when I noticed last year that Gretsch added white glass to their lineup I decided to take the plunge. This is also my first 14x8 snare and it's everything I hoped it would be; a great "thick and meaty" sound for the classic Southern rock and country I play.
usa.jpg

Last edited:

bjisteve

Reaction score
My USA Custom is 18/12/14 in Rosewood Lacquer is on order and should arrive next month - can't wait
OG - circa 1980
20190704_091541[1].jpg

And BTW - I'm looking for the old style memory locks - 1 for the tom arm, and if could find 3 more for the ft legs, that'd be cool. The really annoying ones without the hinge - they have smaller tabs that fit these old techware mounts.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
bjSteve,

My tom mount has both the Ludwig memory lock that came with the kit and the Gretsch memory lock that came with the mount.
Mine is about 15 years old. Would that work for you?

DSCN2107.JPG

bjisteve

Reaction score
bjSteve,

My tom mount has both the Ludwig memory lock that came with the kit and the Gretsch memory lock that came with the mount.
Mine is about 15 years old. Would that work for you?

View attachment 402147
If it came with the ball L-arm, probably not. I think those all have the hinge and the bigger tab. I already have some of those, and I'll probably just wind up grinding one down. Thanks though.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
What's the secret to making the Catalina Maple snare sound decent--or at least to reduce the ringing and snare buzz?

Growing up I was a Ludwig rather than a Gretsch guy, although a friend down the street who started playing when I did opted for Gretsch. He became a pro while I remained a weekend warrior, so maybe he was onto something. . . That said, when I recently decided to get back into drumming a little, I bought a set of the Cats, mainly because I ran across a slightly used set in the sizes and configuration I wanted for a decent price. Now that I've owned the Cats for awhile, I frankly can't rave over them. I can see how if I were to start drumming at all seriously again I'd want an upgrade. However, the Cats have impressed me enough for the money that I'd definitely look at Gretsch were I to upgrade. I actually like these Cats, and hats off to Gretsch for making such a good set at a low price.

However, the snare is frustrating. I haven't swapped out the heads yet, and when I do half think I need a head with a muffling ring to combat the ringing. (Currently I have way too much tape on the top head.) But using a pre-muffled head strikes me as a last ditch effort (as also does slathering tape on the head). I also don't understand the snare buzz. I've tuned an re-tuned both the snare and the toms, tried various tricks, and still have too much buzz. Since actually I switched from my original Ludwig snare to a Premier snare back in the 1970's and played it for decades, that's my comparison snare. As I recall the Premier snare had some metal bracket or something holding the snare wires. Now I'm wondering if that metal bracket reduced the buzz. For what it's worth, I was never in love with that Premier snare, but it did work. This Cat snare barely works, and I don't know why or what to do about it.

I've read that other Cat owners have similar problems with their snares, but haven't read a solution. Anyone have any ideas? It's weird to me that the toms and bass sound fine while the snare is a challenge.

219Dave

Reaction score
Ok, here goes... I'm going to attempt to post all five of my Gretsch kits in no particular order... All the kits are early/mid 70s SSB with the exception of my '60 RB Satin Aqua Flame kit.

Besides being beautiful looking and sounding drums, three of the five kits have sentimental value, but they all have a story.

The Midnight Blue Pearl kit was originally in Gold Chrome wrap and Gretsch rewrapped it in MBP. It's a replica of my first Gretsch kit my dad bought me in 1974, which I had refinished as Maple kit in 1979 by Joe MacSweeney of Eames Drums and years later, I foolishly sold. The Black Nitron kit is a replica of a kit I bought in the late 70s and used into the mid 80s, before I foolishly sold that to buy a Simmons kit.

It always bothered me that I sold the kit my dad bought me and I never thought I'd ever be able to find/replace the drum kits that meant so much to me in my younger days, but somehow they found me. In fact, this Black Nitron kit has the original 70s SSB, whereas the kit I bought in the late 70s had square badge, which I never liked. I had the MBP kit set up in my office at Zildjian.

Anyway, thanks for indulging this diehard Gretsch fanatic :)
JD
I love the sky blue pearl!

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drinkin' that Gretsch Kool Aid pretty hard these days. I own a USA Custom 12-14-18 and a Brooklyn 12-14-20, both in espresso burst wrap. Have a 16" Brooklyn floor tom on order from Maxwell's. I like the sound of the USA toms slightly more but the Brooklyn bass drum is a beast. Both sets give me exactly what I need in drums... vintage vibe, high end sound, modern hardware, and they look fantastic. Oh yeah!

dark nectar rig.jpg

Brooklyn EB The Mark 2.jpg

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's the secret to making the Catalina Maple snare sound decent--or at least to reduce the ringing and snare buzz?

Growing up I was a Ludwig rather than a Gretsch guy, although a friend down the street who started playing when I did opted for Gretsch. He became a pro while I remained a weekend warrior, so maybe he was onto something. . . That said, when I recently decided to get back into drumming a little, I bought a set of the Cats, mainly because I ran across a slightly used set in the sizes and configuration I wanted for a decent price. Now that I've owned the Cats for awhile, I frankly can't rave over them. I can see how if I were to start drumming at all seriously again I'd want an upgrade. However, the Cats have impressed me enough for the money that I'd definitely look at Gretsch were I to upgrade. I actually like these Cats, and hats off to Gretsch for making such a good set at a low price.

However, the snare is frustrating. I haven't swapped out the heads yet, and when I do half think I need a head with a muffling ring to combat the ringing. (Currently I have way too much tape on the top head.) But using a pre-muffled head strikes me as a last ditch effort (as also does slathering tape on the head). I also don't understand the snare buzz. I've tuned an re-tuned both the snare and the toms, tried various tricks, and still have too much buzz. Since actually I switched from my original Ludwig snare to a Premier snare back in the 1970's and played it for decades, that's my comparison snare. As I recall the Premier snare had some metal bracket or something holding the snare wires. Now I'm wondering if that metal bracket reduced the buzz. For what it's worth, I was never in love with that Premier snare, but it did work. This Cat snare barely works, and I don't know why or what to do about it.

I've read that other Cat owners have similar problems with their snares, but haven't read a solution. Anyone have any ideas? It's weird to me that the toms and bass sound fine while the snare is a challenge.
Kind of a late response but I just saw your post.
I seem to remember some kind of blog or thread on here from more than a few years ago that was about this very subject, upgrading a catalina set to sound better. I think it involved lightly sanding the bearing edges and waxing them, among many other easy tune ups.

I don't know how to search for it, I think there was a link to a forum member's personal blog about it. Maybe try googling it a little bit, see what pops up?

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still on the hunt for an 8" New classic tom in Ocean Sparkle Burst if anyone comes across one or would like to sell theirs....

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drinkin' that Gretsch Kool Aid pretty hard these days. I own a USA Custom 12-14-18 and a Brooklyn 12-14-20, both in espresso burst wrap. Have a 16" Brooklyn floor tom on order from Maxwell's. I like the sound of the USA toms slightly more but the Brooklyn bass drum is a beast. Both sets give me exactly what I need in drums... vintage vibe, high end sound, modern hardware, and they look fantastic. Oh yeah!

View attachment 406813

View attachment 406814
That finish is amazing. Those big hats...what are they?

Latest posts