Official Tama Drums Thread

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All things Tama!

Post your Tama kits, snares, hardware, etc. Talk Tama gear, wishes, ideas, NAMM rumors, etc.

Anything Tama, put it here!

Let the posting begin!

flamaqueII

Reaction score
I have a newer Tama Superstar Hyper-drive kit. So far so good. I do have issues with the tom mounting system but nothing I can't overcome. I like the shorter toms in some ways. I can easily switch from a 4 piece jazz setup to a 6 piece rock just by removing the small tom and big floor then moving the other tom to the small tom mount. Also from 3 cymbals to 5+. With the kick drum modifier/mute I designed I can change the kick from a booming rock sound to a jazzier thump anytime I want, even between songs.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of Tama Silverstars in Midnight Sparkle that should arrive in a few days. They're in a downbeat configuration: 8x12, 14x14, 14x20. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

Funkymotor

Reaction score
A brand that has been wrongly pigeonholed.

I remember an MD interview with Lenny White where he was saying something like, " thin shells, sharp edges, die cast cast hoops, that's the sound" when referring to his Starclassics vs Gretsch.

Tama makes drums as good as anyone. No doubt.

Also, 25 years ago as a a young metal-head the Artstars (Ulrich, Lombardo) really had me drooling.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Starclassic Birch with Remo Smooth White Emps:

Silverstar Birch with Coated Ambs:

Last edited by a moderator:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I've been playing jazz on a Silverstar bop kit for the past year. I replaced the factory heads and upgraded the hoops to 2.3 mm just to get a little more balls. They sound great in any venue, big or small.

I've had them at home lately, fooling around with different tunings. They have a pretty wide tuning range, unlike a lot of newer drums. I found that I could tune the bottom tom heads pretty low and the batters pretty high, and I get a nice full sound with a lot of attack and rebound. I used to do this on my old Sonor Teardrops.

Attachments

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
My poorly wrapped 80's Imperialstars. Sound great though!!

photo 1.JPG

My OG Wine Red Imperialstars (well, the 13" tom anyway)

photo.JPG

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine have the same wrap problem, bonzoholic. Is also in the wine red. I'm thinking of rewrapping them but not sure if I should keep them in the wine or go with something else... Suggestions?

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
Tmcfour said:
Mine have the same wrap problem, bonzoholic. Is also in the wine red. I'm thinking of rewrapping them but not sure if I should keep them in the wine or go with something else... Suggestions?
I'm actually going to be selling my 18" floor tom and 24" kick here pretty soon. Wine Red finish.

Jammin Sam has pretty good wraps. Vintage & modern.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bonzoholic said:
I'm actually going to be selling my 18" floor tom and 24" kick here pretty soon. Wine Red finish.

Jammin Sam has pretty good wraps. Vintage & modern.
Oooh boy. The 24 is tempting...

Sneauman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Above were my Swingstars I bought in the 1980's.

Below are the Rockstars I currently play.

If I ever get my man-cave done, I'll split this into two kits, a double bass and a single bass kit.

For now I am digging three bass drums and one huge kit, if I want to only play four drums, I can do that too, but I have options.

Attachments

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is half of my Cherry Wine Red Tama Superstar kit.

I have two more toms another bass drum and matching snare.

Also have a '79 Superstar kit in satin Mahogany 12,13,16,22

purist

Reaction score
My Starclassic Performers. For smaller venues. Nice drums, and I like their hardware - easy set up. I also have 3 Iron Cobra bass pedals and an old boom stand (with the screw on counter weight) from the 80's.

Attachments

Latest posts