Official Tama Drums Thread

mikey_drum

Reaction score
I gig with the Silverstars in a 12, 14, 20 configuration and I'm extremely impressed with how they sound, look and the overall build quality of the kit. I did upgrade to 2.3mm hoops and changed out the heads. The best part is that road rash won't make me cry at all. I do wish I would have gotten one with a 14x20 bass drum, as mine is an 18x20 and too deep. I'm going to be sending my bass drum to precision to have cut down to either 14x20 or possibly even 12x20 (ala DW frequent flyer) and also have a cymbal mount added.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

kaosotis

Reaction score
tamadrm said:
One day I want to find a set of the Royalstars with the Camco lugs.
They pop up on Ebay on occasion,and usually sell for around 800 US,for a 4-5 piece kit.Be patient.

Steve B
Yeah I troll, but never seem to time it right!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Starclassics. I've had them since '95 and they've held up fantastically. I've more than got my money's worth from this kit:

20120726_184053.jpg

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Polska said:
I've been very happy with my Starclassics. I've had them since '95 and they've held up fantastically. I've more than got my money's worth from this kit:

20120726_184053.jpg
British racing green? Thats one of the few finishes that I'd buy in place of my WMP

jra1985

Reaction score
I have two Tama kits. My new Silverstar Cocktail Jam kit in Indigo Sparkle. They are amazing. I plan on doing a lot of gigs with them. My other set are some old black Swingstars. I love my Swingstars because they were my first decent kit and I have put a lot of mileage on them in the 10 years I have had them.

Attachments

Zeb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My trusty Cordia/Birch Artstars that I bought new... way back around 1982, I think? The mind is the second thing to go...

Anyway, these drums have been gigged a bazillion times and are built like tanks. Yeah, I know... 80's "power toms" - but these babies still sound great.

I recently tried some Remo CS black dot heads on them for the first time - nice!

I just wish I'd kept the original "Mirrored" reso bass drum head. Oh well...

Edit: I figured I should add a shot of the snare... aka "The Beast" ;)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
audiochurch said:

20120726_184053.jpg
British racing green? Thats one of the few finishes that I'd buy in place of my WMP
Yeah, I love the finish. Funny because at the time I was eyeballing a candy-apple (ish) red Starclassic kit in the store. I finally got my money together and they had just sold, but they had the green in there. It wasn't my first choice but it turns out I like it better. I think the red was a wrap and I like seeing the wood grain.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
The first Tama set I owned was a 1977 gold Imperialstar with a King Beat snare which I held onto for many years. I don't have any pics of the kick and toms.. I traded in the Imerialstars in on a '78 Superstar (the small photo). Never should have let those go but I sold them in my "not gonna play anymore" phase in 1987. I tried the Birch Starclassic Performers but to me they didn't measure up to my old Supes. I then bought a set of 82 Supes but sold them as they were not the sizes I wanted and needed to get body damage repaired on my truck. My last Tama kit was the Silverstars; great drums.
The final picture belongs to a guitar player I used to play with and I played them for many years. Not sure of the year buy they do have rerings and the matte finish.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Always wanted a new Tama kit. Once got a Superstar bop kit to flip...should have kept it!

Just bought a Silverstar jazz set. I think they'd be good at twice the price...really amazing how good the quality is for the price. I really like that they used heavier BD claws with rubber gaskets as opposed to those cheap claws that most budget sets, and even some of the boutique makers, use.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
I just picked up a 20x18 starclassic maple kick and a 10" starclassic maple tom off craigs list for $250 going to have them them both refinished. The kick will be a natural color to match my current starclassic bb kick.I have been looking for another kick drum in 20" for over a year and had a quote to get one built for 1200 bucks...... can wait to have the true double bass

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Zeb said:
My trusty Cordia/Birch Artstars that I bought new... way back around 1982, I think? The mind is the second thing to go...

Anyway, these drums have been gigged a bazillion times and are built like tanks. Yeah, I know... 80's "power toms" - but these babies still sound great.

I recently tried some Remo CS black dot heads on them for the first time - nice!

I just wish I'd kept the original "Mirrored" reso bass drum head. Oh well...

Edit: I figured I should add a shot of the snare... aka "The Beast" ;)

Beautiful kit. I wanted those back in the day. As to the reso head, you can always make your own.

Professor1

Reaction score
I usually gig with my '93 Japan made Rockstars just because they sound great and they're tough as nails! I have a set of Imps in midnight blue wrap with a 24 inch kick from around '81, which I'm trying to find someone with an 18" floor to match. Great drums, I love my Tamas as much as any of my other kits for sure!

Professor1

Reaction score
Bonzoholic said:
Mine have the same wrap problem, bonzoholic. Is also in the wine red. I'm thinking of rewrapping them but not sure if I should keep them in the wine or go with something else... Suggestions?
I'm actually going to be selling my 18" floor tom and 24" kick here pretty soon. Wine Red finish.

Jammin Sam has pretty good wraps. Vintage & modern.
My in-laws live in Prescott! I'd be very interested in your 18" floor to go with my Imps. If you decide to sell :happy11:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Professor1 said:
I usually gig with my '93 Japan made Rockstars just because they sound great and they're tough as nails! I have a set of Imps in midnight blue wrap with a 24 inch kick from around '81, which I'm trying to find someone with an 18" floor to match. Great drums, I love my Tamas as much as any of my other kits for sure!
i used to own those same Rockstars. Great drums i used and abused for punk rock/hardcore for 5 years. Loved them!

id get those Silverstars or Starclassics in a heartbeat if i needed to buy a kit.

Professor1

Reaction score
audiochurch said:
i used to own those same Rockstars. Great drums i used and abused for punk rock/hardcore for 5 years. Loved them!

id get those Silverstars or Starclassics in a heartbeat if i needed to buy a kit.
I've been eyeballing the Silverstars since they came out! Gotta really justify buying a set of them since I currently have 5 kits! Wife just gives me the look every time I mention new drums.

Latest posts