Official Tama Drums Thread

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tnsquint said:
Here is a Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga kit that I purchased recently. 10-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-24. There is an 8 that is on the way as well. What I like about this finish is the grain pattern reads from a distance.
[eggplant emoji]

R

RickP

Congrats Murat, though you have an even more stunning kit coming to the shop don't you ?

AlexandrosK

Reaction score
Hey,

Tama bubinga elite user here. Fantastic drums, tons of weight on the sound. Very high quality on build.

Alex

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Congrats Murat, though you have an even more stunning kit coming to the shop don't you ?
I can't wait for that one :icon_smile:
What line is that blue Tama set?

Rich K , that Tama is a Star Maple, but exacts same finish exists also in Star Bubinga as well. Called Wild Sea Blue Bosse.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Tama creates some really stunning finishes. That wild Sae finish looks exceptional. The Garnet was also extremely lovely.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just received the all new Tama SLP Maple set with wood hoops. The quality of the shells, the maple hoops, the finish, it is all top notch. Maple is nice and warm and the addition of maple hoops makes it more of a compact sound. The shells have re-rings as well.The new tom mount design , the Direct Flexi Mount works as advertised. Nice sustain on the shells. The hinge system is simple and clever. Comes with Evans G1 Coated heads on the batter side, Tama Powertone skins at the bottom.

Toms are 6 ply maple and the bass is 8 ply. Starclassic lugs. I guess this is an upper mid level set as far as Tama is concerned but it has the features of a pro kit.

Just about $1925USD.

Attachments

R

RickP

Murat said:
I just received the all new Tama SLP Maple set with wood hoops. The quality of the shells, the maple hoops, the finish, it is all top notch. Maple is nice and warm and the addition of maple hoops makes it more of a compact sound. The shells have re-rings as well.The new tom mount design , the Direct Flexi Mount works as advertised. Nice sustain on the shells. The hinge system is simple and clever. Comes with Evans G1 Coated heads on the batter side, Tama Powertone skins at the bottom.

Toms are 6 ply maple and the bass is 8 ply. Starclassic lugs. I guess this is an upper mid level set as far as Tama is concerned but it has the features of a pro kit.

Just about $1925USD.
Damn you Murat !!! My savings account hates you !!!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RickP said:

Just about $1925USD.
Damn you Murat !!! My savings account hates you !!!
My apologies... :laughing5:

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wow!!!

to me, if i bought this beautiful kit, it would be a lifer. would never need another kit.

nice purchase!

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
kickassdrummer said:
How about a review, Hector? Beautiful kit!
Well, I already have two Starclassic B/B (Birch/Bubinga) sets, and really wanted to try the Maple version.
What held me back was the cost, but I did find a good deal on this kit.
It sounds great, and I'm happy with it.
The one thing I liked more about the B/B kits is the BD tom mounts.
I'm not a fan of virgin bass drums, since I like 2 or 3 toms on top, and it gets tricky w/o the BD mount.
Plus, there's always the issue of the virgin BD walking forward a little when playing my double pedals.
But, I haven't had that problem yet, in my home studio.

Soundwise, compared to the B/B kits, the maple sounds a bit fuller in the mid-range.
Just as one would suspect, given the type of woods used.
The B/B has good attack and heavy lows, but is sometimes missing in the mids a little.
I probably like the B/B bass drum a little better, because it's 18" deep, good attack and heavy lows.
The maple Starclassic is 16" deep, but really doesn't sound bad at all. Just different.
It still has a good punch, just not the click and thump you get from the B/B
As far as the toms go, I must say I really like the full range EQ of the maples.

I compared this kit to my Pearl Masters, which is also maple.
I think I prefer the Tama maple. It just has a bit more life and character, if that makes sense.
But, I've been playing Pearl maples for many, many years, so the Tama is something new to me.
I'm still in the "honeymoon phase", but I do smile every time I beat those toms.

This could very well be my last kit, because I can't think of anything I'd want more than this.
However, I said that when I bought my DW kit two years ago, and that kit is long gone.

Latest posts