Official Tama Drums Thread

drumma75

Reaction score
I appreciate the input on the Starclassic Maples as I'm on the cusp of purchasing the Exotic finish of that 22" configuration!

I owned a Tama Starclassic birch for 11 years and it was one of my favorite kits. I currently own a Ludwig Classic Maple (downbeat sizes) as my go-to kit. For me that means gigs/sessions for anything from jazz/funk stuff to classic country rock to eclectic blues/funk/latin/everything in between stuff. For straight up jazz gigs I have and still prefer my Leedys. But this year I've got some gigs at larger venues (theaters, small arenas, outdoor stuff) and I wanted a 22" to bring to the table. I haven't had a 22" in my arsenal in 17 years! That says a lot for the 20" kick drum in general. But I digress. The consistency, dependability, and quality of Tama is pulling me (back) in. Especially with the revamped Maple shell construction and star hardware I've seen the last few years. I know my heads and I can tune close to tech level. I know I can get these Tamas to do what I want for the genres they'll be used on.

So, appreciators and lovers of Tama, it's safe to say I'll be making a good move from the Classic Maple to the Starclassic Maple?

p.s. - I know I am, I'm just looking for that last minute justification or sanity check from the drum community.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drumma75 said:
I appreciate the input on the Starclassic Maples as I'm on the cusp of purchasing the Exotic finish of that 22" configuration!

I owned a Tama Starclassic birch for 11 years and it was one of my favorite kits. I currently own a Ludwig Classic Maple (downbeat sizes) as my go-to kit. For me that means gigs/sessions for anything from jazz/funk stuff to classic country rock to eclectic blues/funk/latin/everything in between stuff. For straight up jazz gigs I have and still prefer my Leedys. But this year I've got some gigs at larger venues (theaters, small arenas, outdoor stuff) and I wanted a 22" to bring to the table. I haven't had a 22" in my arsenal in 17 years! That says a lot for the 20" kick drum in general. But I digress. The consistency, dependability, and quality of Tama is pulling me (back) in. Especially with the revamped Maple shell construction and star hardware I've seen the last few years. I know my heads and I can tune close to tech level. I know I can get these Tamas to do what I want for the genres they'll be used on.

So, appreciators and lovers of Tama, it's safe to say I'll be making a good move from the Classic Maple to the Starclassic Maple?

p.s. - I know I am, I'm just looking for that last minute justification or sanity check from the drum community.
Enjoy it , don't look back. Great drums for a great value. :)

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just wanted to share with you guys the new Tama SLP Dynamic Kapur set that I just got. Another solid job from Tama. These shells are very well made and the finish is superb.

You liked the Club Customs before, you may want to head to your local shop and give these shells a quick tap. The toms are 6ply, 5mm thick, the bass drum is 7 ply, 6mm thick. The toms are Hyper Drive sizes, 6.5X10 and 7X12. Floors are 12X14 and 14X16. The bass drum is 16X22.

Pretty warm and fat tone, controlled overtones. Comes stock with Coated G1 heads for batters, Tama Powertone heads for the resos. Clear EQ4 Batter for the bass.

I think it is a good value. Quality is superb. Very well made kit.

Cheers.

Attachments

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Murat said:
I just wanted to share with you guys the new Tama SLP Dynamic Kapur set that I just got. Another solid job from Tama. These shells are very well made and the finish is superb.

You liked the Club Customs before, you may want to head to your local shop and give these shells a quick tap. The toms are 6ply, 5mm thick, the bass drum is 7 ply, 6mm thick. The toms are Hyper Drive sizes, 6.5X10 and 7X12. Floors are 12X14 and 14X16. The bass drum is 16X22.

Pretty warm and fat tone, controlled overtones. Comes stock with Coated G1 heads for batters, Tama Powertone heads for the resos. Clear EQ4 Batter for the bass.

I think it is a good value. Quality is superb. Very well made kit.

Cheers.
Same sizes as my Starclassic B/B (other than kick, mine is 18x22). Agreed, I took a closer look at them at DCP and they seem to be a solid new line from Tama.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to Revival looking to see if they happened to have a copper shell snare; they didn't, but they had this Starphonic bubinga:

I sat and played it for like 15 minutes in the shop, couldn't put it back on the shelf. Had to bring it home. Perfect balance of beefy heft with crisp articulation, and a super wide dynamic range. New favorite!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Murat said:
And finally, the Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse arrived today ! I stopped working. I am just looking at this thing...All I can say is, WOW !
I've been waiting for these pics to show up. Very nice finish.

R

RickP

dogmanaut said:
Anyone here play the SLP spruce kit yet?
I have played the Spruce snare and I am really impressed . Murat has had both the maple SLP and Kapur SLP in stock and both are fantastic kits , especially for the price . I have not had the opportunity to play a Spruce SLP but if it is anything like the Maple and Kapur versions it will be a winner

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drummertom said:
And finally, the Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse arrived today ! I stopped working. I am just looking at this thing...All I can say is, WOW !
I've been waiting for these pics to show up. Very nice finish.
I wish I could do it justice. It is a stunning finish for sure.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RickP said:
Anyone here play the SLP spruce kit yet?
I have played the Spruce snare and I am really impressed . Murat has had both the maple SLP and Kapur SLP in stock and both are fantastic kits , especially for the price . I have not had the opportunity to play a Spruce SLP but if it is anything like the Maple and Kapur versions it will be a winner
I brought in the SLP Maple and the Kapur first (Both sold quickly by the way) because of the configurations more than anything...10,12,14,16 and 22 bass. The Spruce is a 3 piece set with 12,14 and 20 bass, not other option for now. But it is next. :)

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would be into the brown spruce kit but the badges would have to go. Can they be removed ?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just received a set of Superstar Maples in the limited Blue Onyx to match my Silverstars. I am amazed how great these drums sound for the price. 5mm 6 ply shells with explosive sound and great projection. Same shell lay-up as their bigger brother, Starclassic Maple. 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x12 16x14 22x18

Silverstars:

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halldor L said:
Just received a set of Superstar Maples in the limited Blue Onyx to match my Silverstars. I am amazed how great these drums sound for the price. 5mm 6 ply shells with explosive sound and great projection. Same shell lay-up as their bigger brother, Starclassic Maple. 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x12 16x14 22x18

Silverstars:

@Halidor...You always have the greatest sets and cymbal selections. I'm still loving your little Superstar Bop kit.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama finally released the pictures of this Star Walnut limited edition set in Satin Black Burst Sen Wood finish so I can post it too. This one is arriving at the shop end of July. I cannot wait to crack open those boxes. This is one stunning finish !

Attachments

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Murat said:
Tama finally released the pictures of this Star Walnut limited edition set in Satin Black Burst Sen Wood finish so I can post it too. This one is arriving at the shop end of July. I cannot wait to crack open those boxes. This is one stunning finish !
Wow

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Murat said:
That's gorgeous!