Official Tama Drums Thread

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All-around great drum company. For anyone interested in top of the line wood ply shell-drums with a nice size selection, Tama Star and Sonor SQ2 are certainly top-tier.

Though it'd be cool if they offered a tom mount on the bass drum, at least for the Star Walnut.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It took almost 7 months but I got my Tama Star Walnut in Satin Black Japanese Sen Burst finish in the shop (ASBJ color code on the website). Stunning !

Attachments

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can you guys help me identify a kit I purchased yesterday? I can't find the exact badge or Tom mounts in any videos or online search. They're Starclassic model unknown, in excellent condition looks like a garnet to black fade sparkle finish? Die casts all around, 20/10/12/14 /14 matching snare. Tom mount slides on bass drum and it has the isolation mounts that attach to the rim and not the shell or lugs. Any idea if it's a b/b performer or just Birch ? Year of manufacture etc? Thanks in advance IMG_20190224_221631865.jpgIMG_20190225_195016339.jpgIMG_20190225_194921396.jpg

kevinyarger

Reaction score
Can you guys help me identify a kit I purchased yesterday? I can't find the exact badge or Tom mounts in any videos or online search. They're Starclassic model unknown, in excellent condition looks like a garnet to black fade sparkle finish? Die casts all around, 20/10/12/14 /14 matching snare. Tom mount slides on bass drum and it has the isolation mounts that attach to the rim and not the shell or lugs. Any idea if it's a b/b performer or just Birch ? Year of manufacture etc? Thanks in advance View attachment 388388View attachment 388389View attachment 388390
That looks like a Tama Starclassic Performer birch kit to me.

TamaDan

Reaction score
Can you guys help me identify a kit I purchased yesterday? I can't find the exact badge or Tom mounts in any videos or online search. They're Starclassic model unknown, in excellent condition looks like a garnet to black fade sparkle finish? Die casts all around, 20/10/12/14 /14 matching snare. Tom mount slides on bass drum and it has the isolation mounts that attach to the rim and not the shell or lugs. Any idea if it's a b/b performer or just Birch ? Year of manufacture etc? Thanks in advance View attachment 388388View attachment 388389View attachment 388390
Hey!

This is a 2006-2007ish Tama Starclassic Performer Birch Bubinga in Red Sparkle Fade.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey!

This is a 2006-2007ish Tama Starclassic Performer Birch Bubinga in Red Sparkle Fade.
Thanks Tama Dan I really appreciate the info. One last question what level of kit would Tama have Considered these a
Hey!

Thanks Tama Dan! Any idea where this kit sat in their line up? Mid level ? They're incredibly well built in my opinion .

TamaDan

Reaction score
Thanks Tama Dan I really appreciate the info. One last question what level of kit would Tama have Considered these a
Thanks Tama Dan! Any idea where this kit sat in their line up? Mid level ? They're incredibly well built in my opinion .
At the time it was the introduction to pro level kits. We made a number of different Starclassics at the time. Starclassics were the top end kits we made at that point, the B/B kits being the most affordable.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting that most of the Tama lovers appear to be rockers. Tama has always advertised mostly to that market.

But Elvin Jones played them for many years. As jazz player, I can get the sound I want from them.

I have a friend who was a Hoshino sales rep for many years--Tama drums, Ibanez gutars, Yanagisawa horns. He always talked about the "integrity" of the instruments.

I'm an old school jazz drummer, and I had a prejudice against Asian instruments during my three
decades of playing western drums. But Tama drums have served me well as regular gigging drums. WTF, I sold off all of my vintage kits, and I can't afford Gretsch!

ron,

i just reread this post you have here. you say you are an old school jazz guy.

what are your thoughts on bebop vs say gene krupa’s final quartet?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Gene had an open mind, and he went in a bebop direction in his latter years. He started playing more independent bass drum accents. But he never completely got away from 4 on the floor swing. It was in his DNA. Not criticizing at all. He was a wonderful player.

Max Roach and Roy Haynes were taking it in a new direction. Gene really dug it, but he knew it wasn't him.

What's cool is that both Max and Roy always respected Krupa, and they always gave credit to Papa Jo Jones. That's the beauty of jazz drumming evolution. You never forget the guys who came before.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I brought this kit back from the dead. I posted pics in the builders area before but here are some for the Tama thread. It's an orphan, resto-mod. Vintage but moded hardware, new none standard wrap. The shells are 75ish imperialstar 14x24 bass drum, 75ish imperialstar 9x13 rack tom and a 85 Royalstar 16x16 floor tom.

Attachments

dexter74

Reaction score
I brought this kit back from the dead. I posted pics in the builders area before but here are some for the Tama thread. It's an orphan, resto-mod. Vintage but moded hardware, new none standard wrap. The shells are 75ish imperialstar 14x24 bass drum, 75ish imperialstar 9x13 rack tom and a 85 Royalstar 16x16 floor tom.
Wow! Those look great!

I picked up some early/mid 80s swingstars a few months back. Only used them on one gig and put them in storage. I'm taking them out next week and putting some good heads on them and plan to gig the hell out of them for a few months.

REF

Reaction score
A Tama thread. Two of them, no less.

Do you Tama players know of any videos showing the full movement and position options of two small toms on a 600 bass drum mount?